UOA: How often, and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some thinking about extended oil change intervals. In particular, I am wondering what is the real cost of extending the OCI. For example, Amsoil will compare 25,000 miles on conventional oil and regular filters, to 25,000 miles with their Signature Series, and one Ea filter.

Basically, it comes down to 40 quarts of the conventional oil and 8 conventional filters, vs 5 quarts of the Signature Series oil, and one Ea filter. The latter ends up being a fair bit cheaper over all.

But what they don't talk about is used oil analysis. Would you really just pour in the Signature Series oil, screw on an Ea filter, and drive it for a year or 25,000 miles? In my mind (and I could be totally wrong, hence this post), I would not be comfortable going much past the manufacturer's recommended OCI, without some sort of regular oil analysis. But if I am doing some regular analysis, the cost of the extended OCI isn't quite as cheap, because the oil analysis adds up.

In any case, I am not hating on Amsoil here - I like the company, and I think they have good products. What I am after is some real figures on extended OCI. How much UOA is necessary? When would I take the first sample? How often afterward? Hopefully I can get a handle on the true cost of running an extended OCI.

Last edited:
You are correct -- going straight to a 25k interval without a UOA is a bad idea, even with Amsoil, and Amsoil is what I use.

I started doing extended OCIs back in 2005, the not-so-smart way, changing oil each time. The smarter way is to leave the oil in and only take a sample, then leave in or change based on the sample results.

My plan for the F150 will be to go the factory interval and take a sample, leaving it in. I anticipate that since the Ford IOLM is basically a 10000 mile counter and my mileage is more than 95% highway, that I should eventually get the full 25k / 1 year out of it(if I am comfortable with the results)I probably won't get too aggressive under warranty though.

In your example, looks like you are planning a 3k interval with dino oil. Today's oils can go much further, 5-6k is certainly possible and some on the site are running 10k on conventional....but only after performing some UOAs.

Hopefully that helps --

edit: even if you use Amsoil for only 10-12k, the oil change will cost you around $50-55, and even less if you don't get the SS. Figure two conventional changes at sale prices and the Amsoil can be more expensive. It's all what you want to do, to pay, and to investigate. I do it as a hobby, and have enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Well, after break in, I tested at the 5K mile interval when I would normally have changed conventional oil, got a good result, and tested at 8300 miles when the Oil Life monitor went off and satisfied myself that that was still a conservative change interval and that I could trust the Oil Life Monitor.

I wouldn't do anything extended during the warranty period of course, but I would most certainly do the same thing if I were attempting to run way over factory recommended intervals. I suppose you could probably gauge it a little. That is, if, say, after 12K miles your acid numbers are creeping up towards condemnation levels, I wouldn't mindlessly run it another 6K niles.

I suppose after a couple of successive extended oil changes where you ran to a certain number got similar test results along the way and still felt that you had a good margin of reserve, that you could just automatically run to that level. As long as Amsoil never changed the formula and your driving didn't change and your engine condition didn't change, you would be OK. That would probably require at least six or seven UOAs to get to that confidence level.

Of course, you could just drop it off at the dealer and get the oil changed in accordance with the Oil Life Monitor and the tires rotated at the Ford perma-sale price. The cross-over point in savings by using the extended intervals with the fancy oil would probably be 75,000 miles or so.

I see that you can buy a 100K 7 year extended factory powertrain warranty for the F-150 (assuming it's 4X4) for about 860 bucks. So, alternatively, you could skip the tests, save about $150 bucks that way. Then you could save money on oil changes by going by the book, and changing at the dealer. Pay to warrant the truck, including expensive 4X4 parts of the powertrain for a net cost of $700. That's what I would do.

Sort of like the guy who polled the forum on whether he should get the Ecoboost or the 5.0 to pull his trailer. Naturally a few dozen people weighed in. Then the OP replied that he had pencilled out the options and determined that his best bet for trailer towing was the standard engine----and the extended warranty.

PS the Ford F-150 OLM is NOT a countdown odometer. I know it doesn't like inactivity. Park it at the airport for a few days and it will ding you a few points.

Last edited:
As an oil ages you lose fuel economy and cold start performance, so there is a false economy to consider with extended drain programs.

Go to the main page and read the Q&A between BITOG and Shell.

I lost count how many times the oil teck answered the same question about oil drain intervals.

"We don't sell oil change intervals, that is determined by the vehicle manufacture". Or something like that.

lets assume Shell sells Amsoil the base stock and additive package to go with it. Either way they get the sale.

So why not eliminate the middle man and go OLM all the way?

You trust their fuel, but question their lubricants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back