Honda Jet Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, Honda has teamed with Teledyne Continental Motors on a new piston aircraft engine. I think Honda is being real smart by not going it alone. They can contribute capital and engineering talent, while the established partners have customer sales and support networks and know how to deal with government aviation authorities.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Let's hope Honda can make the change in thinking from land vehicles to aircraft requirements.

Auto companies mastered it pretty well in WWII. If mankind could do it 75 years ago we should be able to do it today....maybe....

That would be application specific. When I worked at General Dynamics in the 80's F16's made for the U.S. miltary got the P&W engines which were more powerful than the GE engines that went into the versions that were sold to other countries.

Probably Pratt. They seem to have the best latest technology that allows higher compressor speeds and thus higher turbine pressures.

I had a VIP tour of the START Lab at PSU. It is the only Lab in the world that can run the first stage compressor blades continuously and therefore get megga data from the highly instrumented turbine. The Lab is partnered with Pratt.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Are GE jet engines better than P&W or Rolls-Royce engines ?

Better as in failure rate? I don't know. The GE90 series, which powers the 777, is the most largest, most powerful and in direct comparison most economic turbofan jet engine produced and will be superceded and outdone by the GEnx within a few years.

GE is doing some very interesting things with gas turbine engines. I suspect the Honda/GE version is going to be a strong competitor to Williams.

I have to wonder about the published SFC numbers of "less than 0.7". Williams engines seems to be less than 0.5 Lb/HR/Lbf.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
BRZED,

Better as in reliability and better fuel efficiency ?

I can't answer the question about reliability, but the GE90 is supposedly without competition when it comes to the most power and best fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
That would be application specific. When I worked at General Dynamics in the 80's F16's made for the U.S. miltary got the P&W engines which were more powerful than the GE engines that went into the versions that were sold to other countries.

Maybe in the 80's that was true but most F-16s are GE powered now and are significantly more powerful than the old f100-200 and -220. I worked on both the P&W and GE, the GE was better to work on.

Anyone notice this thread started 11 years ago?

Some Honda employees think that Honda is more like an engine company than a car company, they make all kind of engine for various products. Honda engines in lawn mower, portable power generator ... are very reliable and well liked.

Honda engines, especially the 4-cylinders in any vehicle (car or SUV) are very well made and very reliable.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Maybe in the 80's that was true but most F-16s are GE powered now and are significantly more powerful than the old f100-200 and -220. I worked on both the P&W and GE, the GE was better to work on.

Anyone notice this thread started 11 years ago?

Wow, I did not notice that. And, of course, I worked for GD from 1988-1991. As much as that may seem like yesterday to me, it was a long time ago. It often feels like it was from someone else's life. Isn't it weird how, as you grow older, some periods of your life almost seem disconnected from the whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back