Rear drum brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus of BITOG folks about rear drum brakes?

I have never owned a vehicle with rear disc brakes so I cannot comment on rear disc vs. rear drum.

My 2013 Silverado has rear drum brakes and they seem to work just fine. I know that rear disc are easier to replace pads then rear drums, but I have never had to replace the shoes on rear drums on any car I have ever owned. I normally get rid of my vehicles at 100K or less, but when I look at the rear drum brakes they are still in good shape.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
They suck they are a relic of the 60's.

The modern automobile drum brake was first used in a car made by Maybach in 1900,

People knock them but they are great here in FL, as we have few corrosion issues.

Absolutely more reliable than any disc, longer service intervals, and reliable performance. No good on a track car but work very well on trucks...

Yep on the rears only as well.

Most high quality cars transitioned to them in the 60's and 70's after Jag pushed disc brakes hard in racing.

Vintage high quality racing drums are a beautiful thing, typically they are cast with fins in them for cooling.

In my opinion, they are better than rear discs for small economy cars.

And BTW, most rear "Discs" still have a small drum brake to use as the parking brake.

So, in many cases, you still have a rear "Drum" brake to worry about.

There really isn't a free lunch, but if you get to know rear Drums really well, they come pretty close.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I read an article that most over the road semi trucks are drum brakes all the way around.
yes and with a huge surface area to stop the truck.drums work well until they get hot

Originally Posted By: CT8
Drum brakes are nice on the back as they don't pick up gravel.

Hey, that's one of Toyota's excuses for putting drums on the back of the redesigned Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I read an article that most over the road semi trucks are drum brakes all the way around.

Only here in the US with low standards for trucks and overworked truckers making pennies from long hours.

In Europe, their trucks have disc brakes, and their manual transmissions are actually synchronized (and some even have automatic transmissions), driven by people paid by the hour and limited to 48 hours a week.

If you only keep your vehicle 100K and you don't go off road, they are great. Rear discs are nothing but problems here in NY.

HOWEVER, they never work right after they get old. Doesn't matter if you replace everything from the backing plate to the show; they just don't work after you hit 100K.

With rear discs, you're going to be replacing rotors and clipers all the time (rust, corrosion), but at least when the parts are replaced, the rear brakes WILL work.

I don't mind drums on the back. They're long lasting, and the parking brake is much better than rear discs. I don't really see any performance advantage rear discs have over drums either. Drum brakes are capable of locking up the tires in a panic stop; what more can you ask for?

This is BITOG, there's no consensus here!

Drum brakes are fine for car rears since they lower the complexity of parking brake systems. They are feared and loathed by some who don't know how to work on them. Once you learn, they are easy to deal with.

Most of the cars I've had with rear drums, didn't even require a shoe change in my ownership. The rear discs haven't quite been so trouble free. The only time I've wished for rear discs is on the track with my poor 1995 Neon with "13 inch brakes". The front discs were small enough that 13" wheels fit over them...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't mind drums on the back. They're long lasting, and the parking brake is much better than rear discs. I don't really see any performance advantage rear discs have over drums either. Drum brakes are capable of locking up the tires in a panic stop; what more can you ask for?

Agree, if you don't track your car, or have to decend Pikes Peak on a daily basis, drums are just fine.l

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: CT8
Drum brakes are nice on the back as they don't pick up gravel.

Hey, that's one of Toyota's excuses for putting drums on the back of the redesigned Tacoma.

We know the real reason.

They are significantly cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back