Valvoline MaxLife Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have previously used the Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner (treats 20 gallons), but it is just too expensive. Since I am using MaxLife now I decided to purchase Valvoline's fuel system cleaner. It is 1/3 the price and treats 15 gallons which is perfect because the Elantra has a 14 gallon fuel tank. I hope all goes well since Hyundai says you "have" to use their product, but I am out of warranty anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Sounds like a "suggestion" like the "suggested retail price".

And if I remember correctly, Hyundai "suggests" that you add the product at EVERY fill up. Valvoline says every oil change. That seems more realistic to me.

If they say you have to use their products for the warranty, they must provide it to you for free.

But since you are out of warranty, I don't know if you can claim that.

I use Chevrons Techron or Gumouts Regaine ... or just fill up with a premium top-tier gas.

Hyundai recommends to add one bottle every oil change if not using Top Tier, not every fill-up, per my Owners Manual (not sure about your Elantra). Also, Hyundai Fuel System cleaner is just relabeled Techron.

41sjKSA-dxL._SY300_.jpg
71Xc7L-5KhL._SY355_.jpg

FutureDoc and wemay, I use Kroger fuels and sometimes Shell regular (not sure if the regular Shell 87 octane is top tier). My Owner's manual doesn't say anything about the frequency, but I just double checked and you are right. Every 3k / or OCI.

If you are using Shell every so often, then you should be fine.

If you want to avoid the delaer Hyundai and just go with Techron, then hunt around. The price for Techron varies and goes on sale frequently. Plus, hunt the auto-store sale and then combine it with rebates from Chevron, and it can be had for $2-3 a bottle if you play the cards right. I know AA had it buy one, get one 50% so it might be worth asking how it rings up because Chevron is offering a buy 3 get one free.

Since I am a Havoline fan, I am often checking Chevron Promotions and Techron is often up there with additional discounts.

https://www.chevronpromotions.com/

Also, worst case would be if Hyundai is selling ProGard... as it has Techron is a lesser amount.

Chevron-Pro-gard-20ounce.jpg

Agree with Wemay. You are better off using Techron Concentrate. Chevron makes may different types of fuel system cleaners. The only difference is the concentration which determines how often you use it. Every tank or every oil change.

They do go on sale often. Around here it's usually $6 for the smaller concentrate (every oil change) bottle for 12 gallon of gas. I also recommend Gumout Regane. It's pretty much the 'older' original version of Techron (PEA) and is cheaper still. I think Chevron went Techron Plus roughly 4 years ago? I'd grab either one whichever is on sale and if it's already within my arms reach.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fordai
FutureDoc and wemay, I use Kroger fuels and sometimes Shell regular (not sure if the regular Shell 87 octane is top tier). My Owner's manual doesn't say anything about the frequency, but I just double checked and you are right. Every 3k / or OCI.

Yes regular Shell 87 is top tier.

Also I heard all kroger gas meets top tier requirements they just never applied for the certification.

Thank you everyone for all of the informative replies!

I will have to do some research on the Kroger fuels. The Shell station accepts Kroger rewards points and that's why we get gas there if it is cheap enough.

I cleaned out my local AZ's stock and bought the last two bottles of Valvoline. Once I get through that I will see if I can find any deals on the Techron Concentrate Plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back