.22LR Rifle for Appleseed

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a slightly different twist from the recent .22 rimfire rifle thread...

I've gotten interested lately in attending an Appleseed event or two (or three, or four, ...). The one rifle I do own is an older family heirloom that costs more to shoot than I'd prefer for something like this (Winchester 1894, in .30-30). I've wanted a .22LR plinking gun for a long time, and this may be the catalyst in finally buying one.

Before I got interested in Appleseed, I had decided on a Marlin 60. I like the traditional lines of the tube magazine (matches my 1894), I like the concept of Marlin's Micro Groove barrel, and I like the Marlin's last shot hold-open for the bolt. After reading some about Appleseed, it seems that the box mag-fed semi-autos were preferred, so I started looking at the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22. I go back and forth. I also go back and forth on getting a bolt action, like a Ruger American Rimfire. I continued to read about Appleseed, and instructors who post stress that it's not about the gun, and that they accommodate everyone. I do want to compete for Rifleman, though, so I don't want to unnecessarily hinder myself if timing is a factor in reloading a tube gun like a Marlin 60.

Anyone here an Appleseed instructor or participant who can comment about both timed reloads of box vs. tube magazine and bolt action vs. semi-auto rifles? I'd like to eventually own all of the ones I mentioned above, but looking to start small here and build up...

Thx.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
After reading some about Appleseed, it seems that the box mag-fed semi-autos were preferred, so I started looking at the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22.

Why are box magazines "preferred"?

Get the 795, a sling, several pro mag 25 rd magazines, and think about tech sights
It seems that the micro grooved barrels are inherently more accurate. Also the 795 cannot be modded to the same extent so it is less likely to cost a ton

I love my 795 it just rocks

Originally Posted By: billt460
After reading some about Appleseed, it seems that the box mag-fed semi-autos were preferred, so I started looking at the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22.

Why are box magazines "preferred"?

That's part of why I'm asking. Most articles I've read where that's stated cite speed of reloading. I understand that, at some points during qualification, you have to reload the gun during a timed round.

But, again, I've never participated in Appleseed before, which is the genesis of my question...does it really matter, in practice, how fast you can reload the rifle? I can imagine how a semi-auto would be easier to use than a bolt action, especially in some of the positions used in Appleseed. I can also imagine how a detachable mag would be faster to use. But, not having done it before, I don't know how much more difficult I make it on myself with either a bolt action or a tube-fed gun.

Tube fed .22's are generally more reliable. Tube magazines cannot be lost or misplaced, and they don't have external feed lips to get bent or damaged. And they don't have a magazine protruding out the bottom that can catch on things, or interfere when shooting off a rest. As far as "speed loading", if you get yourself one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511932/...r-polymer-clear

You can reload most any tube fed .22 in just a few seconds. And most all tubular magazines hold a minimum of 15 rounds, so you have to reload less frequently. So I'm not seeing much of advantage or disadvantage with either one. I have several .22's with both, and personally I prefer tube fed magazines. Also, if you live in a state that restricts high capacity magazines to 10 or less, that usually doesn't apply to tube fed models. And several tube fed .22's can shoot short, long, or long rifle cartridges interchangeably. Which is yet another good advantage they have.

Thanks...good points, all.

My heart is after the Marlin 60. I think it looks smart, I seems to be very reliable and accurate, and its cost is low. I think it'd make a great little rifle with some Tech Sights and a sling. I look forward to learning better marksmanship skills, how to properly use a sling, etc. The inability to very quickly swap mags in a timed event like this is about the only thing I don't like about the 60, but the Spee-D loader does make that less of an issue. Otherwise, and if I'm honest with myself, I prefer the slower nature of hand-loading a rifle on the range. Take one's time, slow down, just enjoy being out there.

I also like the 795, but don't particularly care for the looks of the magazine that hangs down so far. I think it breaks up the smooth lines of that gun. I like the Ruger 10/22, with its compact rotary box magazine, but I just can't seem to get my mind past its lack of a last shot hold-open. For some reason, that's a critical factor for me. I still like the 10/22, and wish to own one one day.

I may try to pick up a used Marlin 60 for now in the classic blued/wood configuration, and then save pennies for a nice 10/22 or 795 in stainless with black synthetic stock.

I have several .22 rifles both tube and mag fed. I'm a fan of tube fed myself, but I also really enjoy my 10/22's. Get your Marlin 60 to start out with, I don't think you will be disappointed. One of my friends just bought a brand new one in wood/blue form (they're around $160 on buds if I remember right) and its worked great for him.

Last edited:
My heart is after the Marlin 60. I think it looks smart, I seems to be very reliable and accurate, and its cost is low. I think it'd make a great little rifle with some Tech Sights and a sling.

I'm a big fan of the Marlin Model 60 as well. These are my 3. A standard Model 60 from the 80's. It has the 22" barrel and 18 shot magazine. And a 50th Anniversary Edition with a Walnut stock, gold trigger, and rubber butt plate. And a Stainless Steel Model with the Laminated stock. All 3 are very accurate and dependable .22's. For the money you can't beat a Marlin Model 60.

The first .22 I bought was a Model 60. It must have been '91 or '92,I was just out of high school. IIRC I paid under $100 new.

A few years later I bought a 10/22. I like them both but prefer the Model 60. If you're into bling,get a 10/22. They're the Jeep Wrangler of the .22 rifle world. Loads and loads of accessories to pimp it out any way you like.

I like the Ruger 10/22, with its compact rotary box magazine, but I just can't seem to get my mind past its lack of a last shot hold-open. For some reason, that's a critical factor for me.

The last shot hold open bolt is one of those features that is better to have than not have. What it does prevent is continually snapping the firing pin on an empty chamber. Something that always happens unless you keep careful track of how many shots you've fired. And really, how many do? Continually allowing the firing pin to peen the chamber of a rimfire gun, can and does cause problems over time. That is why it is always good advise not to dry fire them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Continually allowing the firing pin to peen the chamber of a rimfire gun, can and does cause problems over time. That is why it is always good advise not to dry fire them.

I'm with you. I really don't know why Ruger didn't include one, and still doesn't include one today. They must not think it's a big deal -- and it certainly hasn't stopped millions of people from buying 10/22s.

I'd love to build out a 10/22 with a 22" or 24" bull barrel, a nice scope and bi-pod, and go steel plate hunting from 500 yards away. And one day, I hope to. For now, though, I think a Marlin 60 will be my whip.

There are a few 60s on Armslist near me (or the Glenfield re-brands), but they're in the $100-140 range. Hard to beat a new one at about $160-170, as long as Remington has continued to make 'em right.

Appleseed are timed events so having box magazines pre-loaded and ready to go is a big advantage.

I like all the .22's mentioned, mine is a 10/22.

If you decide to go with the mod.60, get good at using that speed loader.

The test is based off of the army aqt back when the Garand was around, hense the two 8 round magazine changes and the two round magazines.

The 10/22, tech sights, web sling is close to shooting a Garand. I think that combo has a nickname of the unofficial liberty trainer
The marlins with the micro grooved barrels are better out of the box however

I have both a Model 60 Marline and a Ruger 10-22.

I have not participated in Appleseed, but I do quite a lot of .22 shooting so I'll give my op's here ...

Both are going to be quick to reload. The Ruger has available for it a multitude of good quality factory mags that feed very reliably. They even have BX25 and the BX25-2! The only downside is these long mags will stick down really far relative to a 10-round box mag. The Marlin can be quickly reloaded with a pre-loaded tube. I have about 5 spare tubes that hold the rounds, and then when it's time to reload I just pull the mag-tube spring-rod guide all the way out the end, dump in the pre-loaded rounds from the spare tube, and replace the spring-guide. It's almost as fast as the box mags once you get the hang of it.

As for accuracy, both are good, but I give the nod to the Marlin. The upside to a Ruger 10-22 is that the world is FULL of options in terms of triggers, barrels, etc. You can practically make these into match guns easily from any catalog. But, it will be more expensive to do so. The Model 60, OTOH, is more accurate out of the box and has a better trigger in stock form, IMO. But, the options for upgrades are limited as the aftermarket does not favor it like the darling Ruger.

Other issues like comfort are also favoring the Ruger; you can get a whole host of different stocks, etc. The options are limited for the Marlin.

So if you are going to stay stock, get the Marlin. If you intend to upgrade, get the Ruger. Both will feed reliably if you use good equipment and both will be quick to reload. So it comes down to intent for customizing, if desired.

Forget about the "quick reload". At least for now. That is totally unimportant, and hardly should be the reason why anyone should or does attend an Appleseed match. Or any other match for that matter, involving marksmanship with a .22 rifle. Concentrate on proper posture when shooting. Getting the correct sight picture, and proper breathing and trigger squeeze.

If you spend time concentrating on that, you will come away with far more knowledge and ability than the guy who spends his time on "movie set", quick reloads. Stop and think when was the last time it was necessary to reload fast when you were ever shooting a .22 rifle? I've been shooting for over 45 years, and I can't honestly think of a single time yet. If you blaze through a magazine full of rounds shooting at game, and you need to reload fast, do you think you will connect any better with the second magazine full than you did the first? Again, it all equates back to better marksmanship, not reloading tactics.

In a semi auto handgun in a IDPA, or Steel Challenge type match, then perhaps. But not in any venue involving marksmanship with a standard .22 rifle. There are a lot of things to consider when purchasing a .22 rifle. Speed reloads should rank way down on the list. If it's even on the list at all.

I may have changed my plan just slightly. A Marlin 60, base model in blued finish, runs about $160-180. Tech Sights and a sling are another 100 bucks together, or close to it, so I'd have $260-280 into the gun. Very reasonable.

Used examples are out there, but not all that common around here (at least not at prices that make them attractive as used guns). Seems that folks buy 'em and keep 'em. I get it.

BUT, a Marlin 795 Appleseed LTR model can be on my gun shelf for about $260 delivered, and it has Tech Sights and a sling pre-installed, comes with a second mag, and includes a certificate for a free Appleseed event (60 bucks for the average Joe like me). That's an even better value. They say it includes an extended charging handle and a better trigger. Plus, it comes with "Appleseed LTR" etched into the side of the receiver, which is, to steal a term popularized by Nutnfancy in the gunning world, a "second kind of cool" to me.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/04/07/marlin-795-liberty-training-rifle/

I'm thinking about going that route, then maybe later, look at a 60...or even a 39A. If I'm going to go for the traditional look of a 60 with a tube magazine, why not go all the way, with a bolt or a lever?

I looked at the Marlin LTR when it first came out, couldn't find one for sale. A quick goole search still shows it hard to find. Where are you buying yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back