Oil for a high mileage cummins in a cold climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have been reading up on oil statistics and trying to decide on the best choice for my 01 cummins with 251,000 miles for the winter here in Watertown, NY(30 miles from the canada border). I have read that the biggest reason for using synthetic is either to extend change intervals, or for extreme temperatures. I have no intention of extending my drain interval, which is currently approx. 3000 miles with Rotella T 15w40 and Fleetguard LF16035. I know a lot of you are about to tell me I'm wasting good oil but I make multiple short trips per day (less than 10 miles), and I want to follow the B maintenance schedule in my owners manual. I am wondering if the temps I will be seen up here count as extreme. Last year it didn't get above 0 much if at all from about the end of December the the end of February, and during that time it got as low as -20 IIRC. I have been thinking about switching to a synthetic blend for the winter. Such as Rotella T5 in 15w40, or going to a full synthetic such as Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme in 15w40. My concerns with synthetic and synthetic blend are that it will cause problems since the truck has 251,000 miles. Also, I am not sure if it will be cold enough here to make it completely necessary to make the switch. I will be plugging the truck in as much as possible, but I don't think I will be able to during the day at work. I recently read a study done by TDR that indicated that Rotella T is on the low end as far as soot control, while Valvoline Premium Blue is on the high end. I will most likely be switching to the VPB over the Rotella T even if I don't switch to synthetic. You can find the study here Turbo Diesel Register Tech: Lube Oil, Religion, Specifications and the TDR.

What are your thoughts?

Hello from the south! (Syracuse, here).

If this winter is going to be like last winter, I'd go with a 5w-40. It was cold here, I'm sure it was even colder up there.

I am not of the mindset that switching a higher mileage engine to synthetic will cause any problems. I'd run T6 5w-40 which is readily available at Walmart for cheap.

I personally run Rotella T5 10W-30 in the colder months of the year in Wisconsin. Starts are much easier than the 15W-40 and it is a lot more shear stable than the T6 5W-40. I am not a big fan of the T6 and with your shorter OCIs all you would need is a semi-syn T5. Then if you are not comfortable with a 30W in the summer months you can change to 15W-40 for half the year.

Rotella T5 10w-30, Rotella T6 5w-40, or the Valvoline you mentioned will all perform much, much better when it's cold out and you can't plug the truck in / power's out / block heater dies.

You're doing such short drain intervals it doesn't really matter what synthetic oil you use - they're all (Rotella, Delo, Valvoline, etc.) great.

Our shop truck has 260k on it (04 Cummins) and we just run 15w40 summer and 5w40 winter.

We see -20 to -40 in the winter at times and even on the coldest days it always fires up.

T6 Shell 5-40 , Dello 400 5-40 or Valvoline Blue 5-40 in hard winter , you will notice a much happier startup.

With a 2001 ( pre regen ) you can go way farther than 3k on your OCI .

Is your engine still stock? The stock Cummins doesn't have a problem with sooting the oil, especially on a 3000 mile oil change interval. Even my mildly modified (40HP injectors, big turbo, 40HP tune) engine doesn't soot the oil. And the Cummins doesn't shear oil either. I've done 22k+ mile OCI's on Rotella T6, and the viscosity never drops.

Are you running any kind of a radiator cover? Multiple short trips in cold weather probably means the engine is never getting up to operating temperature. Mine barely gets up to temperature at the end of my 30-mile commute, so I don't get warmth out of the heater for most of the trip. This also means the oil is not getting up to temperature.

I recommend RT6 on 6000 mile intervals to offset the extra cost. I know you can go a lot longer. Delo 400 5w40 and VPBE 5w40 would also be good choices, but whenever I've seen them on the same shelf, the RT6 is lower cost. $21 everyday price at WalMart makes it a good buy.

I'm very familiar with the oil articles in the TDR magazine, but they were written many years ago. High TBN is not as important as it used to be since ULSD has become the standard fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
5w40 in whatever brand you can find

+1 on this. I know how cold Watertown can get in the Winters! Does your engine burn any oil? If not then 5W-40 wouldn't be a problem.

T5 10W30 would be a good, lower cost choice than Valvoline PB Extreme 5W40, or T6, especially with short trips in winter-that's a worst case scenario for any diesel-soot buildup, moisture/acids in the oil, even possible "wet stacking" of unburned fuel-make sure to at least put a piece of cardboard in front of the intercooler in subzero weather, if not a canvas winter front.

I will second the recommendation for 5w40 synthetic in your favorite flavor , sounds like you want to use Valvoline, but make sure it isn't 15w40 like you wrote. Go for the 5w40.
I even just bought 2 gallons of unicorn tears Rotella T6 0w40 at auto zone clearance... Drool.

How many miles do you drive a year?

I would also extend the OCI to at least 6K, 7.5k, and change right before winter starts.

Also you will be so happy and warm if you buy a radiator cover....

I just did some reading and people seem to love the mopar OEM cover, goes on the radiator inside so you don't even see it from the outside.

Originally Posted By: Bzab32
I personally run Rotella T5 10W-30 in the colder months of the year in Wisconsin. Starts are much easier than the 15W-40 and it is a lot more shear stable than the T6 5W-40. I am not a big fan of the T6 and with your shorter OCIs all you would need is a semi-syn T5. Then if you are not comfortable with a 30W in the summer months you can change to 15W-40 for half the year.

what exactly does the shear stability mean? Sorry I'm still trying to learn all about oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Is your engine still stock? The stock Cummins doesn't have a problem with sooting the oil, especially on a 3000 mile oil change interval. Even my mildly modified (40HP injectors, big turbo, 40HP tune) engine doesn't soot the oil. And the Cummins doesn't shear oil either. I've done 22k+ mile OCI's on Rotella T6, and the viscosity never drops.

Are you running any kind of a radiator cover? Multiple short trips in cold weather probably means the engine is never getting up to operating temperature. Mine barely gets up to temperature at the end of my 30-mile commute, so I don't get warmth out of the heater for most of the trip. This also means the oil is not getting up to temperature.

I recommend RT6 on 6000 mile intervals to offset the extra cost. I know you can go a lot longer. Delo 400 5w40 and VPBE 5w40 would also be good choices, but whenever I've seen them on the same shelf, the RT6 is lower cost. $21 everyday price at WalMart makes it a good buy.

I'm very familiar with the oil articles in the TDR magazine, but they were written many years ago. High TBN is not as important as it used to be since ULSD has become the standard fuel.

I have 75HP injectors and a Smarty S03 that I run on fuel saver most of the time. I am planning to run a winter front that I am in the process of making from aluminum that will attach to the grill. I have heard that T6 isn't a good buy because its not truly synthetic? anyone else heard this?

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Chris142
5w40 in whatever brand you can find

+1 on this. I know how cold Watertown can get in the Winters! Does your engine burn any oil? If not then 5W-40 wouldn't be a problem.

I haven't owned the truck very long and I don't drive it a whole lot but i haven't noticed it burn any and the PO said it didn't.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I will second the recommendation for 5w40 synthetic in your favorite flavor , sounds like you want to use Valvoline, but make sure it isn't 15w40 like you wrote. Go for the 5w40.
I even just bought 2 gallons of unicorn tears Rotella T6 0w40 at auto zone clearance... Drool.

How many miles do you drive a year?

I would also extend the OCI to at least 6K, 7.5k, and change right before winter starts.

Also you will be so happy and warm if you buy a radiator cover....

I just did some reading and people seem to love the mopar OEM cover, goes on the radiator inside so you don't even see it from the outside.

I haven't owned the truck long enough to calculate my milage per year but I'm guessing it will be around 8,000 - 10,000. and i do plan to run a winter front.

Originally Posted By: leathermaneod
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I have 75HP injectors and a Smarty S03 that I run on fuel saver most of the time. I am planning to run a winter front that I am in the process of making from aluminum that will attach to the grill. I have heard that T6 isn't a good buy because its not truly synthetic? anyone else heard this?
T6 is a group III, or hydrocracked, synthetic-unfortunately (other than maybe Red Line or Amsoil) that's where most "synthetics" are headed. Problem with T6 is it shears down quickly-not that that should be a problem in a VP44 Cummins.

My biggest concern is that the 5w40 syn will be too light in warm weather and i would like to be able to pick something that i can run year round with no worries. I also make multiple 300 mile trips to Berks count PA a year. so I'm a little scared to use something as light as 10w30 for a long trip like that....
Thanks guys for all the great info! Please keep it coming! Id love to see oil analysis results from anyone who has made a switch similar to the one i am contemplating.

I run M1 TDT 5W40 year round in my '06 in my sig, towing a 5500 pound boat, burns off a little, but no other problems or issues with it. I have a slightly weak CP3 (I think), I have issues in cold weather (sub 20F) with starting easily, unplugged, with 15W40. My (sold) '02, like your '01, would start instantly in any weather with 15W40, plugged in or not.

Originally Posted By: leathermaneod
My biggest concern is that the 5w40 syn will be too light in warm weather and i would like to be able to pick something that i can run year round with no worries. I also make multiple 300 mile trips to Berks count PA a year. so I'm a little scared to use something as light as 10w30 for a long trip like that....
Thanks guys for all the great info! Please keep it coming! Id love to see oil analysis results from anyone who has made a switch similar to the one i am contemplating.

5w40 is fine year-round. I've run RT6 in my Cummins for >70k miles in 3 OCI's. Here is one of my oil analyses:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3192153/01_Cummins_Dodge_Ram_2500,_243#Post3192153

My most recent long trip was towing through western Mass over the 4th of July weekend, up and downhill at 75 mph with the AC blowing. No problems.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
T6 is a group III, or hydrocracked, synthetic-unfortunately (other than maybe Red Line or Amsoil) that's where most "synthetics" are headed. Problem with T6 is it shears down quickly-not that that should be a problem in a VP44 Cummins.

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is still primarily PAO, for the base stock snobs.
wink.gif
Of course, much depends upon cost where the OP is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back