Valvoline 20w20, 3500 miles, Chrysler 300M 3.5 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your daily/yearly driving conditions? Own 2 300Ms myself with UOAs posted here. Having great success with 12K OCIs but drive 100 highway miles daily.

G-Man

Given that the additive system is totally different, that is an amazing improvement in one oil change. You have to figure that some of those wear numbers are residual from the previous oil. If so, the next OCI should come in a tad lower.

At Terry's lab, with the repeatability I've seen, those are significant changes. You have to remember that at the lab Terry uses, Rotrode spectroscopy is used. That equipment is generally good to within 1-2ppm absolute. Since samples do not need to be diluted, there is no additional error introduced by sample preparation. I've consistently seen variation on multiple samples be within 1 ppm.

Your Pb and Cu changes are definitely outside of the error noise floor. To think differently would indicate a lack of understanding of the method and the lab itself. I would bet anyone here $100, or a nice Steak dinner with wine, which ever is more expensive, that your next UOA with the same oil will perform just as well.

Originally Posted By: Cory
What are your daily/yearly driving conditions? Own 2 300Ms myself with UOAs posted here. Having great success with 12K OCIs but drive 100 highway miles daily.

I'm lucky if I drive 100 miles a week. Most all of my trips are less than 10 miles.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
G-Man

Given that the additive system is totally different, that is an amazing improvement in one oil change. You have to figure that some of those wear numbers are residual from the previous oil. If so, the next OCI should come in a tad lower.

Additive system not totally different. The oil that the 20w20 replaced was Valvoline straight 30, not the Havoline 5w20 shown as the previous UOA. The straight 30 was an Auto-RX rinse and no UOA was done on it.

I've got a blend of 4 qts of Amsoil ACD and 1 qt of Valvoline 20w20 in there now. I'm going to run this 5000 miles and see what the numbers look like. Given that virtually all my driving now is short trips where the engine barely makes it up to operating temp, I wanted the extra security of a full PAO oil (but still with no VI improvers). Keep in mind that back when I bought the case of 20w20, this blend with ACD was what I intended to use. I just decided to run the 20w20 by itself for one interval to see how well it would do--and it did better than I expected.

Quote:
Probably because fresh plugs were installed just before this oil went in.

The plugs were changed right before the oil was put in so that makes all the other data irrelevant IMO. A major variable was changed. Far from scientific.

GMAN wasn't it you that said your plugs were toast the last time you changed them?

Quote:
Just got back from a 20 mile jaunt down the Interstate. Wow, what a difference! I hadn't realized just how badly the performance had deteriorated.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post969969

Buster, "all of the data", that's a pretty strong statement.

If you observe the data, you'll see that nitration changed from 9/11 to 10. If there was an ignition firing issue, we would have seen much higher nitration levels previously. Your hypothesis, that fresh plugs managed to invalidate all of the current UOA data, is not supported by the UOA data. Nitration is an extremely sensitive measure of combustion chamber efficiency. In UOA, values near 10 out of Terry's lab are very nice.

Remember, that the comparison UOAs were taken 6/07 and 10/06

Last edited:
RI, true, I didn't notice that. Thanks for catching it though.

I'd definitely stick with the Valvoline as things do appear to be getting better. As I said before, you have to establish a trend before jumping the gun but so far so good from what I see. It's nice to see Terry using the Rotrode.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DCRamsey
Just curious where did you find 20W? I can't find it anywhere on the shelf. Looks like I'll have to order it from the distributor.

That's what I had to do. I got the local NAPA dealer to order me a case from the distributor.

Straight weight oils have more protection in the bearings etc due to less sheer. The components see thicker oil.

blast from the past...

KV@40c with this oil is still less than most 5w30 published specs. Interesting. Of course I'm sure it gets a lot thicker than 5w30 as the temperature declines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back