2010 Camry, Amsoil ASM 0W-20, 6.5K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, normally I *would* (and have been, in the past) go at least 10K mi on this oil. But this is my daughter's car for use in school. She's on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast. I don't get over there often, maybe once a year. Since I was there last month, I decided to go ahead and change it - this gives her a year on the current fill, which is about the time I plan to be over there next.

This fill including driving the car across country, and between Oregon and Washington, so this is mostly highway miles, with some short stop-and-go trips in between. The climate has been *very* dry in this area, and *lots* of dust, and smoke from forest fires, so I noted this on the oil slip. Ironically, Silicon was the lowest it's been for the UOAs I have performed on this vehicle. I think this is because this is the shortest amount of time oil has been in place in this vehicle (It only took about 3 months to go 6.5K miles).

Looks great! Amsoil has a good dose on moly. I wonder which over the counter oils have this as well? Pennzoil and Quaker State are the only ones I can think of.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Looks great! Amsoil has a good dose on moly. I wonder which over the counter oils have this as well? Pennzoil and Quaker State are the only ones I can think of.

A few oils go absolutely nuts over moly. Mazda Genuine 0w-20 has 600 ppm (compared to a typical 80 or 100 ppm in most oils). Redline oils have been known to use a lot. I doubt Amsoil uses tri-nuclear moly, so their 139 ppm might be the equivalent of around 80 ppm used in Mobil1, Pennzoil Plat, Quaker State who do have tri-nuclear moly. About half of the synthetics you buy will have moly.

Solid report - yawn. Expected from a top of the line boutique oil. Looks like you could probably change it every other year if she's staying under 15k. Give her an extra couple of quarts and show her how to keep it topped off. Thanks for posting.

Is there some logical reason you decided to do an OC at 6493 miles....Driving cross-country and long distances is 'easy' on oil. The report shows a TBN of 6.9, which is almost as high as some weak dinos.

Amsoil is a top-tier oil, in which you wasted your $$$ on, time, and some perfectly good oil by dumping it at about 6500K. I would not be surprised if you could have gone 12,500+ easily.

I just did 11,500 with M1EP 0w20 in my wife's '10 Toyota 2.5 and didn't even bother with the UOA, but then again it was only in service for about 9 months, so there's that.

Still, I question the need for a yearly change in your daughter's car with this oil. TBN 6.9? Give it 18 months next time and resample, if you care to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back