Does oil settle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member.. First thread start.

This weekend I changed the oil in my Sienna and I used Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. After I poured the entire 5 quart jug I noticed there seemed to be something that settled in the bottom of the bottle. Almost like fine sand or mud. I poured it on 9/13/15 and the date on the jug was 4/14/15. I have a picture but I'm still trying to figure out how to post it.

Is this normal?

Fairly normal depending on how long it's been sitting on the shelf. I always give my oil some good shakes just in case.

Also,
welcome2.gif

I have bottles of Mobile dyno oil that have been sitting for a few years (bought several cases when they were on sale), and I never see any difference between pouring the first oil out of the bottle and the last of it. Guess I'll shake each bottle from now on though, just for good measure.

I use PU and I have noticed the same thing. Just shake it for a minute or so before you pour it. Seems the 1 qt bottles were worse then the 5 qt jug IMO.

All I can say, as an ex-oil formulator is that finished oils should never, ever in a gzillion years separate and settle!! In the short time I'm been doing BITOG, I read about several people seeing sediment in oil they've bought and it's come as something if a shock! My advice is complain, complain and complain again! Don't be fobbed off with lame 'oh, they all do that sir, just shake the bottle and everything will be fine' excuses. If they were formulating & blending the oils properly in the first place, this would not be happening.

Most manufacturers (Red Line aside) give out 3-5 years of shelf life. While I can't understand how an oil would expire (like food) I guess the sediment issue could be one reason.

I noticed it with Pennzoil products as well. I shake my oil before pouring it in as a result.

What really bothers me is that I cannot walk in and buy this Pennsoil "Ultra" labeled oil anywhere. I had to order it through Walmart (of all places) and wait a week for it to arrive. Nobody stocks it except online. Big marketing for such a top tier oil but its hard to get!!

Some Walmart super stores have them around me.

They'll stock all flavors of "PU", but no Castrol 0w40. Riddle me that! Lol.

Originally Posted By: 2004WJ
What really bothers me is that I cannot walk in and buy this Pennsoil "Ultra" labeled oil anywhere. I had to order it through Walmart (of all places) and wait a week for it to arrive. Nobody stocks it except online. Big marketing for such a top tier oil but its hard to get!!

I agree with you, I am done chasing this oil.

I've been using it for a few years, but I am going to switch to M1 once my Pennzoil Ultra stash is is depleted.

The same with Castrol Edge. (GC) We have one auto parts store chain here that carries it. I just dont understand why they dont market these top tier oils better. I am a simple person and I dont like to spend money but I also dont mind splurging on an oil change.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: 2004WJ

I agree with you, I am done chasing this oil.

Yep, as I keep screaming, it's not really marketed effectively as a top tier oil. Even vanilla M1 or black bottle Castrol are guaranteed for 10,000 mile OCIs. PU is good for 3,750 mile OCIs on something like my G37, according to Pennzoil. It's no better for long intervals, according to Pennzoil themselves, than PYB, PP, or their blends. So, it shouldn't surprise anyone, Pennzoil least of all, that no one is buying.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yep, as I keep screaming, it's not really marketed effectively as a top tier oil. Even vanilla M1 or black bottle Castrol are guaranteed for 10,000 mile OCIs. PU is good for 3,750 mile OCIs on something like my G37, according to Pennzoil. It's no better for long intervals, according to Pennzoil themselves, than PYB, PP, or their blends. So, it shouldn't surprise anyone, Pennzoil least of all, that no one is buying.

Being a "top-tier" oil doesn't always have to mean extended drain. It could be any number of attributes.

I think their problem is availability.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Garak

Being a "top-tier" oil doesn't always have to mean extended drain. It could be any number of attributes.

I think their problem is availability.

Of course top tier means extended intervals. Why else pay a premium if it doesn't last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back