'15 Jeep Patriot...which full synthetic to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently acquired a 2015 Jeep Patriot with 2.4L 4-cylinder engine, 6-speed automatic transaxle, and front wheel drive; after I have used my dealer 'freebie' oil changes (3000-4500 mile OCI's with whatever 5w-20 conventional they use... ?? Pennzoil ??) I am considering the switch to a full synthetic oil for DIY services (with NAPA Pro Select or Bosch filters); driving conditions will include work commutes w/ stop-n-go (8.5-15 miles each way), local grocery runs/errand runs (2-20 miles), occasional country drives, a bit of highway use, and full time use during cold months (vs intermittent use during motorcycle riding weather); total will be 7000-10000 miles per year;

what brand of full synthetic oil do you recommend and why? thanks...

Last edited:
I put Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5W20 in my recently purchased 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 and that was before I got on this board with its Pennzoil adds/support. From what I've read, it's one of if not the best full synthetic oil.

Dan

I'd just stick with Pennzoil products until the warranty expires. They all meet MS-6395 - Pennzoil Platinum is excellent and cheap at Walmart.

Any decent name brand syn that meets Jeep's/Chrysler's specs and in the correct weight will work fine. Your usage habits are nothing out of the ordinary.

You may want to aim a little higher in the filter category, though.

Stick to what the owners manual says for the warrantee period for type and duration. Any fully synthetic will fit the bill and are capable of once a year changes at that level of miles. If your OCI is ~7500 miles you could get away with a semi-syn or dino no problem.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What advantage is there to run syn oil? This isn't the 1970s.

+1 save for longer drain intervals

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: CT8
What advantage is there to run syn oil? This isn't the 1970s.

Keeps engine clean.

Conventional oil keeps engines clean too merk

The primary benefit is longer oil drains. Secondary is easier pumping when sub freezing temps take over.
If not extending the interval then I see no point in using a synthetic.

QSUD...5W20 or 0w20......with an OCI of one year or 10k.....whichever comes first.

Filter; Fram Tough Guard. Change oil and filter in October or early November, prior to the very cold PA winter you'll be having.

I use PU 5w20 in my 3.6 Grand Cherokee with 7,500 mi/1 year OCI's. If your going to stick with 3-5k OCI's I would just use a conventional that meets Chrysler spec, like PYB...

owner's manual doesn't give a well defined interval...says to rely on the oil life monitor; there is a quick blurb about ?? 4000 mile OCI ?? if using in 'dusty environments'; guess I'll stick with conventional or more affordable synthetic blends thru the warranty period since the manufacturer uses the oil life monitor as the basis for service intervals...

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
recently acquired a 2015 Jeep Patriot with 2.4L 4-cylinder engine, 6-speed automatic transaxle, and front wheel drive; after I have used my dealer 'freebie' oil changes (3000-4500 mile OCI's with whatever 5w-20 conventional they use... ?? Pennzoil ??) I am considering the switch to a full synthetic oil for DIY services (with NAPA Pro Select or Bosch filters); driving conditions will include work commutes w/ stop-n-go (8.5-15 miles each way), local grocery runs/errand runs (2-20 miles), occasional country drives, a bit of highway use, and full time use during cold months (vs intermittent use during motorcycle riding weather); total will be 7000-10000 miles per year;

I would suggest Mobil 1 5W-20 but M1 does not meet MS-6395 for some unknown reason.

Use Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra as it meets the Chrysler spec. A good filter would be a Fram Ultra, the application for your vehicle is the XG10060.

The MS-6395 is a pretty meaningless certification, and Fiat/Chrysler would have to prove that a warranty issue was caused by running non-certified oil (which isn't going to happen).

But if you wanted to stick with a MS-6395 certified oil, Fiat/Chrysler seem to be sleeping with Pennzoil these days which isn't a bad thing. Going with PU would do the trick. I'd also step up to at least a blend media filter with a silicone ADBV such as the Napa Gold/Wix filter or even a full synthetic one like the Fram Ultra (or any other synthetic, though the Napa Platinum has a lower efficiency rating than most).

I was talking to the local Jeep dealership yesterday about the Jeep Patriot. Sounds like much the same engine and gear box, 2.4L DOHC dual-VVT 16valve with a 6 speed auto.

I'm in Oz, and it sounds like they import the cars and the oils directly from the US. They say to use 5W-40 oil.

Jeep Dealer: "The patriot takes 5W-40, the brand we use is mopar oil"

Just in case anybody is interested.

Hilarious, here it is 5w20 for the CAFE Nazis.

OP this sounds like a great spot for Castrol Magnatec 5w20, very affordable full syn but it doesn't mention the Chrysler spec.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn

Hey kmrcstintn – For your Jeep Patriot, we recommend Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 since it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 specification required by your vehicle. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is also made with PurePlus Technology, our patented process that converts natural gas to a high quality full synthetic base stock that’s crystal clear. It has been shown to keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards. Hope this info helps! – The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Hilarious, here it is 5w20 for the CAFE Nazis.

OP this sounds like a great spot for Castrol Magnatec 5w20, very affordable full syn but it doesn't mention the Chrysler spec.

Hi KCJeep,

You're a smart man that knows his Jeeps……what oil would you run in a 2.4L Jeep Patriot if it was out of warranty.

I'm asking in a friendly way, not looking to start a fight. You just seem to really know your Jeeps.

Since reading the doitmyself post on his Patriot, and how easy they are to maintain, I've become a big fan of these cars.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3840385/Re:_new_Jeep_Patriot_2.4L...OC#Post3840385

Before this post, they weren't on my radar, now they very much are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back