Breaking in AF sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone just posted on another forum that you should drive "smooth and normal" to allow short and long term fuel trims to "slowly build-up" in the ECU after installing a new wide band air fuel sensor. I have never heard anyone give this advice before and I never drove in any special way after installing a new AF sensor. I have found that short term trims adjust immediately and long term trims soon after. Is there any need/reason to break-in new AF sensors? Thanks.

Last edited:
No. The ecu will relearn very fast and fuel trims will be back in spec after a little driving.

Do a little of everything, the PCM has precalibrated maps that it updates. You want some WOT lugging and some light throttle, high RPM use. The rest will come naturally.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Is there any need/reason to break-in new AF sensors?

No, and that's not what he's talking about anyway.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Is there any need/reason to break-in new AF sensors?

No, and that's not what he's talking about anyway.

Then what is he talking about? I used the term "break-in" loosely to describe the recommendation to temporarily modify your driving habits after installing a new AF sensor. What term would you use?

The ECU simply needs time to re-calibrate itself since it's now getting different and hopefully correct information from a new sensor. Nothing is getting 'broken in'.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The ECU simply needs time to re-calibrate itself since it's now getting different and hopefully correct information from a new sensor. Nothing is getting 'broken in'.

Ok, I assume you must realize I was not talking about a physical break-in period for the AF sensor. That is obvious. To my original question, is there any need to drive in any particular way to "help" the ECU adapt to the new sensor input? In my opinion, the answer is no. Drive however you want. The ECU will control fuel trims.

No. I've replaced a few O2 sensors over the years and have never done anything to "break them in". The STFT and LTFT will adjust all by themselves.

Unless your intake is different from OEM, a special procedure for "breaking-in" the O2 sensor isn't needed, especially not how he is describing it. Why? Well, the ECU will initially base fueling on the MAF sensor input, with corrections made instantly by what the O2 sensor reads in the form of short-term fuel trim. Short-term fuel trims will then populate the long-term fuel trim cells in a sort of lookup table the ECU uses to determine how much correction in fueling to apply for a given load and RPM. What this means, is that you will only populate the low-load and RPM cells of the lookup table if you drive gently.

As you continue to drive, the short-term fuel trims will still be applied and the long-term fuel trims will be refined.

On the other hand, I would recommend a gentle drive if the intake is of a geometry other than stock (e.g., an aftermarket cold-air intake or short ram intake.) Why? Well, if the MAF isn't calibrated for the new geometry, then its own lookup table is wrong, plain and simple. It senses air flowin past it, but, because the geometry has changed, the actual air flow will not be the same as what is sensed by the MAF sensor. What this means, is that the ECU will have to rely heavily on the O2 sensor for correction. If you reset your ECU and immediately floor it with a bad MAF, you may be way too lean and the ECU may have to rely on the knock sensor to retard timing due to knock before it can build a good O2 sensor table for compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back