Alternator Died. Rebuild/Replace? Junkyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Jeep took a swim this weekend. In addition to ingesting some water - luckily no hydrolock - I lost the alternator.

Anyone had luck with bringing a submerged alternator back to life? I believe it got caked with muddy water. I poured a bunch of water on it to clean it and it *did* come back to life for a short while, but I feel it's dead.

First question - can they be cleaned?

Second ... I'm not sure what to do about a replacement. I imagine getting one in from Rock Auto will take a while. And if I get a replacement (new/reman) I will have to ship them the core. If I paid a bit more at Advance, I wouldn't have to ship it back to them. I have had extremely bad luck with electronic stuff (starters, specifically) from Napa so that is not an option at this point.

Or , should I attempt to run a junkyard alternator? If I were to go the junkyard alternator route, I could buy one from a Durango (136A, same connections) and see what needs to be done to get one of those to bolt into the Cherokee as it's a common swap.

What does BITOG think?

Split your old one apart. Should be easy. Pull the pulley off, three long bolts hold the case together, etc.

You might find mud in the brushes or see black burn marks on the diodes. At least you'll know. After all, it's worthless now, right?

I'd get a JY one.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Second ... I'm not sure what to do about a replacement. I imagine getting one in from Rock Auto will take a while.

If it's listed as "in stock" you'll have it in 3 days via USPS Priority. This based on buying a large pickup-sized muffler and a tailpipe 2 weeks ago.

Junk yard. My brother got a Durango alternator from the junk yard for his 91' XJ. They're right on top and easy to remove from the V8s. Look what else has the V8 like the Grand Cherokees and Dodge Rams

It won't fit in the XJ right away. You're gonna have to grind the bracket from your Jeep though. The alternator is wider in diameter so there's an edge that has to be grounded down on the bracket.

Also I've heard of people removing the alternator from the top, we couldn't do that at all. It had to go in and out from the bottom.

Pull the regulator/brush assembly and look at the commutator. It may be covered with crud and making bad connections. The regulator might be fried but fresh water does not do the damage salt water will and regulators/brush assemblies are not expensive. There's not much else a little fresh water can hurt. The diodes are pretty rugged. Remember, the unit operates in a water bath on a rainy day.

If it is still on the vehicle, try spraying it down with contact cleaner. If its already off, I would probably change it out. I had a alternator take an antifreeze bath due to leaky radiator, causing a warning light on dash. Contact cleaner fixed the problem.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Junk yard. My brother got a Durango alternator from the junk yard for his 91' XJ. They're right on top and easy to remove from the V8s. Look what else has the V8 like the Grand Cherokees and Dodge Rams

It won't fit in the XJ right away. You're gonna have to grind the bracket from your Jeep though. The alternator is wider in diameter so there's an edge that has to be grounded down on the bracket.

Also I've heard of people removing the alternator from the top, we couldn't do that at all. It had to go in and out from the bottom.

Have been thinking about that as well. Are there any other things I need to do? Fusible link or something? I will probably grab another braket from another junkyard XJ if I go that route. That way I can grind off the vehicle. It's lifted and has a custom bumper on it so I can access it pretty easily from underneath. I just don't want to have to take the fan clutch off. Ugh.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
If it is still on the vehicle, try spraying it down with contact cleaner. If its already off, I would probably change it out. I had a alternator take an antifreeze bath due to leaky radiator, causing a warning light on dash. Contact cleaner fixed the problem.

I'll give that a shot! I have a few cans of contact cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
So the Jeep took a swim this weekend. Ingesting some water

No pics of the pool party??? that would be great

DIotuHh.jpg

I8L9cE4.jpg

I got stuck after the deep part. The deep part was between the plastic door trim and the fender flare tops. That's where I sucked in water

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Split your old one apart. Should be easy. Pull the pulley off, three long bolts hold the case together, etc.

You might find mud in the brushes or see black burn marks on the diodes. At least you'll know. After all, it's worthless now, right?

I'd get a JY one.

I like the JY option. IF I have to get a new one, I think this is the route I'm going. $13 + $5 core from the junkyard. If the contact cleaner doesn't work , I'll pop this apart and see what happens.

I opted for the Advance auto "new" option under the tough one brand for my Buick and I got a Remy unit which is a good brand plus they have coupon codes which makes it cheaper.

It's plug and play, just hook up your wire. Alternator is just a little larger, wire hookup is in the same place so no need to lengthen your wire.

I don't remember having to take off the fan, although it might make it easier. It's a lot easier to have someone from the top bolting it in while you're holding from the bottom of possible. It's not hard taking off the fan clutch, I've had to do it a few times to my grandfather's Jeep.

I like the JY option. IF I have to get a new one, I think this is the route I'm going. $13 + $5 core from the junkyard. If the contact cleaner doesn't work , I'll pop this apart and see what happens.

Contact cleaner(or just WD40) often works well for something wet like water or coolant, probably won't touch dried mud though... At least not a large amount...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Contact cleaner(or just WD40) often works well for something wet like water or coolant, probably won't touch dried mud though... At least not a large amount...

I washed it out when the mud was still somewhat wet.

This is a mopar alternator, right? Split the case. No need to pull the pulley. The front bearing is sealed and should be good, but it is replaceable. It's likely that the brushes are stuck with mud. Clean it good and dry it thoroughly. Worse case, replace the brush block. Parts are available through Amazon. I repair all my alternators.

Unrelated, but related. Would I be able to use electrical contact cleaner on the ECU wiring harnesses where they plug in? I believe that got some water as well.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
This is a mopar alternator, right? Split the case. No need to pull the pulley. The front bearing is sealed and should be good, but it is replaceable. It's likely that the brushes are stuck with mud. Clean it good and dry it thoroughly. Worse case, replace the brush block. Parts are available through Amazon. I repair all my alternators.

Yep. Mopar alternator regulated by the ECU. I may try to do that after I get a junkyard one to throw on so I can at least drive the thing. Sounds like it would be fun.

I'm assuming it's just a standard sealed bearing that I could buy from ebay, amazon, etc.

I'm assuming it's just a standard sealed bearing that I could buy from ebay, amazon, etc.

You are likely right. My delco CS130s take a standard, $2 bearing, number 4203 I believe.

You could try cleaning it with CRC Lectra-Motive. It's meant for this.

On harness connections, use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

Both are at any parts store, about $7-8 a can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back