Recommendation for 2015 FRS/BRZ AutoX, and Track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking out a recommendation for a 2015 FRS that will see Auto X and Track day HPDE. Want the best for the car I am not concerned with the price. I am willing to shell out $150 every oil chance. Thanks in advance.

welcome2.gif

M1 0w40 will probably work well for your conditions.

Oil PSI and temp gauge will help.

Use the thinnest full synthetic that you are allowed. I'd use Redline, RP HPS, MPT, Synmax, Driven, or equivalent.

Manual transmission and rear diff would get some good synth too.

I would say rather than pay $150/oil change with some exotic oil, just change your oil more frequently.

If you have an autox season or racing season, plan your changes around that.

Thank you for the help and welcoming. I was doing some research on brands like Millers, Amsoil, Motul, etc. Again my use will not be daily driver at all but rather a weekend toy for twisty roads, and several yearly HPDE and Auto X. Will the engine benefit in terms of long term durability if treated to these ester oils in place of a synth? Again forgive me if this is a newb question or my terminology is not on 100% I am learning
smile.gif

M1 0/40 is what I'd use. You want to run the oil that will be best suited for the track. I don't care if you only go to the track once every 3000 miles, you want to run that oil all the time. It only takes a short run on the track(or elsewhere) to waste a engine with the wrong grade of oil.

I run M1 0/40 in my '06 S2000 and I have 117k fun miles on her. Take it to 8000 rpm almost every time I get on the freeway, and it never sees under around 4000 rpm on the track(with the S2000 you have to keep the rpm's up).

ROD

Run your favorite brand of 0W40. You might be ok with 5W30 if it is a robust oil like 300V or Red Line which would a similar HTHS to M1/Castrol 0W40.

I would also highly recommend checking out the track forum at ft86club.com. They have a good bit of data over there in regards to oil pressure and temp comparisons at the track. The oil gets pretty hot in these cars and lots of track guys have installed oil coolers.

I think op isnt wanting an oil that can also be found in regular cars because he thinks his flat 4 is specifical.

I highly doubt m1 0w40, castrol edge 0w40, or penzoil ultra 5w40 wouldn't do a fantastic job and for less than $150 every oil change.

Which is ridiculous anyway.

I also second the oil cooler recommendation. That would probably make more of a difference than brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Justin251
I think op isnt wanting an oil that can also be found in regular cars because he thinks his flat 4 is specifical.

I highly doubt m1 0w40, castrol edge 0w40, or penzoil ultra 5w40 wouldn't do a fantastic job and for less than $150 every oil change.

Which is ridiculous anyway.

I also second the oil cooler recommendation. That would probably make more of a difference than brand.

OP does think that his flat-4 200 HP from a 2L engine is special, but he also said "I'm learning".

If Mercedes, BMW, Porsche ... use M1, Castrol 0W40 in their engines, including MB AMG, BMW M-sport it is evidence that these oils are very stout for high-performance engines. Use it in your FRS/BRZ engine with confidence.

Originally Posted By: nls8520
Seeking out a recommendation for a 2015 FRS that will see Auto X and Track day HPDE. Want the best for the car I am not concerned with the price. I am willing to shell out $150 every oil chance. Thanks in advance.

I cannot speak for Toyota, but GM on the Corvettes and Camaros spec Mobil 1 5W-30 for normal use and Mobil 1 15W-50 for track use.

BMW has similar recommendations for their M cars, 5W-40 normal and Castrol Edge 10W-60 for track use.

It would seem that a thicker racing oil is the way to go for when you track a car.

@HTSS_TR: He said specifical meaning "specific, ie particular" not special. Although with that said I can not afford BMW or Porsche to me this car is special...

Last edited:
For what you're using the unmodified car for I'd stick with the specified Mobil made Toyota Brand 0W-20 for you modestly powered (200 hp) flat four.
It's has a unique very high viscosity index formulation with above average anti-wear additive levels that no one else offers for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back