Organic Cane sugar vs Sugar (s) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been drinking Rockstar Organic lately. (And Rockstar Punched, seen in my most recent pics.) The Organic says "Organic Cane Sugar" and only 80mg caffeine, and it tastes "OK.." the Punched is a staple, on tough nights or days off.

Any difference in sugars?

I have to say that the organic brown sugar made a big difference in my glaze I make for my smoked spiral hams. I used to use the Domino granulated brown sugar in it. It was good. But the organic brown sugar made a surprising positive difference. I would tell anyone to give it a try. I use it too for my dry rubs on my beef ribs and pork ribs
Well worth the bit of extra money. I can get a decent size bag at Martins for $3.89. Which I am getting in a few minutes
smile.gif

Sugar is sugar. I dont use any, coffee no sugar and it does the job. I used to consume lots of sugar but cut back drastically. Now I use small amounts to give me a bit of a kick. After awhile you get used to it. Try cutting it back. Energy drinks have insane amounts of sugar and chemicals. I do like NOS grape erry now and then however..but like 14-15 teaspoons of sugar per can..crazy.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Sugar is sugar.

Not true.

Quote:

We are what we eat!

Elsa Petersen

If you’re like most people you have been seeing ads on TV promoting the positive values of corn sugar. Corn sugar is another name for high fructose corn syrup. High Fructose Corn Syrup or HFCS is manufactured by milling corn, then adding enzymes to convert some of its glucose into fructose making it sweeter. It is about twenty four percent water and the rest of it is simple sugars that are found in processed foods including breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups, and condiments in the United States.

Sounds good so far right? But what is not being told is that there are negative effects on the body when consuming HFCS. According to the Corn Refiners Association in their recent TV ad they stated, “When it comes to corn sugar or cane sugar, your body doesn't know the difference. Sugar is sugar." But the effects of corn sugar and cane sugar on the body are quite different. Corn is a starch and has a higher glycemic index of eighty seven versus cane sugar which is 60. Cane sugar comes from a plant and there is fiber in the sugar which helps to satisfy the body longer than HFCS. After processing corn sugar is so different it is not even labeled by the FDA as sugar instead it is considered a condiment. In addition to that almost all of the corn grown in the United States is genetically modified which has been linked to significant health risks.

The simple sugars of which HFCS is composed of rapidly deplete after ingestion which cause dips in blood sugar levels in the body. A Princeton University study showed rats gained significant more weight when consuming HFCS in comparison to table sugar, even when the caloric intake was the same. Most interesting were the rats accessibility to sucrose, which was equal to the sweetness of sugar and the HFCS was half as sweet as that found in soft drinks. The rats who consumed HFCS gained 48% more weight than their sucrose peers and had significant deposits of abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides. In humans, these are characteristics associated with obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Is clear corn sugar is not the best dietary choice for anyone! Consumers need to demand the return of cane sugar into our packaged foods.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Sugar is sugar.

Not true.

Quote:

We are what we eat!

Elsa Petersen

If you’re like most people you have been seeing ads on TV promoting the positive values of corn sugar. Corn sugar is another name for high fructose corn syrup. High Fructose Corn Syrup or HFCS is manufactured by milling corn, then adding enzymes to convert some of its glucose into fructose making it sweeter. It is about twenty four percent water and the rest of it is simple sugars that are found in processed foods including breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups, and condiments in the United States.

Sounds good so far right? But what is not being told is that there are negative effects on the body when consuming HFCS. According to the Corn Refiners Association in their recent TV ad they stated, “When it comes to corn sugar or cane sugar, your body doesn't know the difference. Sugar is sugar." But the effects of corn sugar and cane sugar on the body are quite different. Corn is a starch and has a higher glycemic index of eighty seven versus cane sugar which is 60. Cane sugar comes from a plant and there is fiber in the sugar which helps to satisfy the body longer than HFCS. After processing corn sugar is so different it is not even labeled by the FDA as sugar instead it is considered a condiment. In addition to that almost all of the corn grown in the United States is genetically modified which has been linked to significant health risks.

The simple sugars of which HFCS is composed of rapidly deplete after ingestion which cause dips in blood sugar levels in the body. A Princeton University study showed rats gained significant more weight when consuming HFCS in comparison to table sugar, even when the caloric intake was the same. Most interesting were the rats accessibility to sucrose, which was equal to the sweetness of sugar and the HFCS was half as sweet as that found in soft drinks. The rats who consumed HFCS gained 48% more weight than their sucrose peers and had significant deposits of abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides. In humans, these are characteristics associated with obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Is clear corn sugar is not the best dietary choice for anyone! Consumers need to demand the return of cane sugar into our packaged foods.

This is basically the question that I was asking, "is all sugar the same or is that phooey."

The Organic even says "USA Organic" on it.

Now, I was raised thinking your body can't tell the difference. But I wonder if our cavemen ancestry had High Fructose Corn Syrup and Carbonation...

20150913_202053_zpsijiuplxq.jpg

20150913_202108_zpsqukbdogu.jpg

No more Red Bull or Monster Import or Snapple for me.

I know when it comes to taste and the mouth qualities of each
(HFCS or real cane sugar) when used in drinks I can DEFINITELY tell the difference, and the cane sugar is my preference EVERY time, the HFCS gives a weird slippery oily mouth feel that lingers, and the basic flavor of the product seems dull on my taste buds. The real cane sugar product has a nice clean mouth feel nothing weird or lingering, and the flavor seems to be sharper and snappier if I can describe it.

The food industry claims otherwise but many people say the same thing even in blindfolded taste tests. cane sugar seems to always be preferred my most people.

That drink has sugar, glucose and 2 artificial sweeteners, acesulfame potassium , and sucralose. It has about the same caffeine as 1 1/2 cups of coffee. It also has guarana which can be a stimulant similar to caffeine.
I would not drink that mess. The good thing i see is b-12. Drink a cup of coffee and take a multivitamin and save a few bucks.

You are paying a lot for water with sugar and 2 artificial sweeters as the main ingredients, along with trace other things.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
That drink has sugar, glucose and 2 artificial sweeteners, acesulfame potassium , and sucralose. It has about the same caffeine as 1 1/2 cups of coffee. It also has guarana which can be a stimulant similar to caffeine.
I would not drink that mess. The good thing i see is b-12. Drink a cup of coffee and take a multivitamin and save a few bucks.

You are paying a lot for water with sugar and 2 artificial sweeters as the main ingredients, along with trace other things.

I should have referenced the drink on the left. The one on the right has just sugar caffeine and the guarana. While better, i wouldn't drink that either.

Last edited:
High fructose corn syrup is the worst.

Refined white cane sugar is less bad.

Raw cane sugar is okay.

Maple syrup is better.

Honey might actually be good for you on balance, depending on what kind it is.

Organic vs. non-organic doesn't mean a thing -- UNLESS the "organic" label comes along with other good practices (e.g. low pesticide/hormone use etc.). It's those other things that make food better.

Now that's just funny. So here you are, buying a drink that is loaded with stimulants, intended to give you an artificial boost, a legal high of sorts. So much nasty stuff in it that the label even cautions about the use by children, pregnant or nursing women, or those with a sensitivity to caffeine.

Yet after all that, they market it with organic sugar.

Hey, look! I'm loading my body with an artificial energy boost. But at least it has organic ingredients.

It's like my brother-in-law, hen he used to smoke. "So I smoke. But hey, I'm smoking lights, so that's OK."

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have to say that the organic brown sugar made a big difference in my glaze I make for my smoked spiral hams. I used to use the Domino granulated brown sugar in it. It was good. But the organic brown sugar made a surprising positive difference. I would tell anyone to give it a try. I use it too for my dry rubs on my beef ribs and pork ribs
Well worth the bit of extra money. I can get a decent size bag at Martins for $3.89. Which I am getting in a few minutes
smile.gif

Brown sugar is whiter sugar coated with molasses.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Raw cane sugar is okay.

Maple syrup is better.

Organic vs. non-organic doesn't mean a thing -- UNLESS the "organic" label comes along with other good practices (e.g. low pesticide/hormone use etc.). It's those other things that make food better.
True organic isn't saturated with insect poisons.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Raw cane sugar is okay.

Maple syrup is better.

Raw sugar really isn't that much different from refined white sugar. It goes through the very same processes that refined sugar does, until it gets to the refining process. So, raw sugar ends up with a few more minerals in it, plant material, some water, a little bit of molasses, and a few other non-sugar items.

It's also a rip-off, when you consider that raw sugar costs more than refined sugar, yet goes through the same processing all the way up to refining. So, you get charged more for less, especially when you consider that sugar is sold by weight, and the water increases the weight of raw sugar.

My understanding is that that the main problem with sugar is when too much hits your system too quickly. That other junk in raw sugar slows it down slightly.

In the grand scheme of things, you're right that there's not much difference. In fact, I'd extend that to ALL sugar-based sweeteners -- it's not so much good vs. bad as it is slight degrees of bad. Just saying, if you are going to have sugar in some form, raw sugar is still better than refined white cane sugar, if only slightly.

As for the value proposition, the real test for me is what the end product does for me rather than how it's made, and raw sugar seems worth it to me. Then again, I eat almost nothing that takes added sugar, so I buy very little of it; maybe if I bought more, I'd be more cost-conscious.

Should I go to the store and get a jar of pure honey?

**dumb question, since I have become an adult and do my own shopping: Can I buy that from Walmart? Do they even have that? (Or is Shop rite better.) I know it has to be in a glass jar.

I have had an insanely healthy start to today. Drank some Naked Green Machine then some Naked BLUE Machine (the blue may even be better! Has 5g FIBER and it tastes really good.. as I said, I drank glass of green, then blue.) Then took Blue with me.. sipped it. And a bottle of purified water. And took a gummy multivitamin. Ate a piece of Shop Rite rotisserie chicken... Jogged 2 miles, it is SOO nice today. I may jog again actually.. I have a non-jittery energy that doesn't make me mean. I bought a Red Bull and may sip it, just to be gradual. And eat another piece of chicken and then sip green and blue, before I k og agaon.. I don't want to mess up REST part of today. I also took my 10lbs "comfort grip" dumbbell and flexed my left arm at least 20-30 times with it in a Billy Blanks Tae Bo kind of motion (YouTube on my laptop replaced my TV and DVD player,) and also my right arm slightly less since my right arm is stronger.

Was brown sugar invented so that processing plants would be able to sell the sugar that got contaminated with whatever? All they had to do was even out the dark spots and other colors and now you have brown sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back