Poking fun at the thick oil crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manufacturer's plate from an old Onan generator...

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Onan/OnanW2-3.htm

If you can't see the pic, the third line says:
"Never use oil heavier than S.A.E. 30"

27.gif

We need to know a lot more than that before deciding if the label pokes fun at anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I use 15W-50 or 20W-50 in my entire Fleet of Onans here, Many years of great service, Nary a problem....
I use T6 in my L head Briggs generator,
no measurable oil consumption. Factroy suggests 10 -30.

Old school SAE 30, ISO 100 base oil.
You call that thin?

Its thicker at oil drain time than the 0W40 group IIIs jacked-up on plastic.

SAE 30 has an HTHS of 3.5...the "thin oil crowd" would call that "really a 40"...even 'though it is the definition of 30.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Old school SAE 30, ISO 100 base oil.
You call that thin?

What about the GRPII+/GRPIV blends?

Or this one....

Cylinder pressure and engine load management is going to make additive inventing chemical engineers redundant.

Bwahahahaha

Edit because of the above post: Include master blenders to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Overlord - SV Ford V8s operated very well on SAE20 lubricants! And so did many pre-WW2 and post-WW2 Chevs..... And many US engines before that
But they didn't last long way back then
27.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: used_0il

Jacked-Up on Plastic.......I like that.

Do they make mono-grade full synthetics? With their high VI and good cold properties, wouldn't they act like narrow range multi-grades without all the VII's ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Do they make mono-grade full synthetics? With their high VI and good cold properties, wouldn't they act like narrow range multi-grades without all the VII's ?

Amsoil make an SAE30 that does the things that a 10W30 does, and can be labelled either way ... as per my previous statement, it's got an HTHS of 3.4, which many would label "really a 40".

Ravenoil 0W16 is pretty close to a straight weight multigrade in viscometrics.

Edge 25W50 similarly.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SR5

Amsoil make an SAE30 that does the things that a 10W30 does, and can be labelled either way ... as per my previous statement, it's got an HTHS of 3.4, which many would label "really a 40".

Ravenoil 0W16 is pretty close to a straight weight multigrade in viscometrics.

Edge 25W50 similarly.

Hi Shannow,

Strangely enough I was looking at the Castrol Edge 25W50 the other day, but it's a bit heavy even for me. And I don't mind a heavy oil.

Similarly 0W16 is way too light for me. Amsoil isn't avaliable around here from what I can tell.

But yeah a 30 monograde that translates to a 10W30 or a 10W40 sounds just right for me.

What about the shear free Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 10W40, how close to a VII free monograde would that be ?

Last edited:
SR5,

the 5W30 is 3.4 HTHS...got to be close, but if you are going there, edge A3/B4 has 3.6 hths, and Chief 5W30 and 10W30s are at least 3.5 also.

Yes I hear you.
Edge 5W30 full synthetic and Chief 10W30 semi-synthetic are both on my radar.

Those mineral 15W40 oils should be pretty good too, or am I going too far with the full minerals?

Cheers and Thanks.

From the Castrol web site:

"Castrol EDGE 25W-50 is a mineral SAE 25W-50, engine oil "

So I'm still a little confused, I can see how a mono-grade full synthetic oil can pass the test as something like a 10W30. e.g. Amsoil with it's SAE30 or 10W30 synthetic.

Just not sure how this is possible for minerals or semi-synthetics, like Castrol Edge 25W-50.

Sorry if I have sort of hijacked this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back