15 dollars a hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make $9.38/hr (NJ 2015 Minimum Living Wage, 2015 adjusted + $1 7-11 "Shift Premium" 12AM-5AM) and NJ Minimum Wage $8.38 the other 3 hours of my shift, I work Full Time and if I didn't live rent-free I'd probably be homeless or something because the room cost $700 a month in the city and is soon to skyrocket especially if they approve that new apartment building on 46th and Broadway where they are going to be getting $1,900 a month for a studio so.....

I could work a second job sure and by that logic 3rd and 4th job however I want to apply my creative skills anymore entrepreneurial sense and I am presently pursuing learning how to fix cars in the hope to fix them and sell them and the Honda I have may be a candidate to do so although I will probably start with a third car since I see so many ones that are inexpensive. I really want to make a movie on own a business and make money that way since I firmly believe that work is to be smart and not hard... Using the brain and creativity I could very much make a comfortable lifestyle for myself instead of working myself into an early grave at 80 hours a week and still not having enough money for any real kind of satisfying life with costs increasing every year.

My investment in tools has begun.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
I make $9.38/hr (NJ 2015 Minimum Living Wage, 2015 adjusted + $1 7-11 "Shift Premium" 12AM-5AM) and NJ Minimum Wage $8.38 the other 3 hours of my shift, I work Full Time and if I didn't live rent-free I'd probably be homeless or something because the room cost $700 a month in the city and is soon to skyrocket especially if they approve that new apartment building on 46th and Broadway where they are going to be getting $1,900 a month for a studio so.....

Yeah but you spend all your money on Seafoam and other crazy additives.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

grin2.gif

As well as extra-curricular activities. But..

I could work a second job sure and by that logic 3rd and 4th job however I want to apply my creative skills anymore entrepreneurial sense and I am presently pursuing learning how to fix cars in the hope to fix them and sell them and the Honda I have may be a candidate to do so although I will probably start with a third car since I see so many ones that are inexpensive. I really want to make a movie on own a business and make money that way since I firmly believe that work is to be smart and not hard... Using the brain and creativity I could very much make a comfortable lifestyle for myself instead of working myself into an early grave at 80 hours a week and still not having enough money for any real kind of satisfying life with costs increasing every year.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: BTW
I'm bowing out of commenting further in this thread, i'll leave you with this...

1.100 food service jobs have left Seattle

This is categorically false--but don't let facts actually get in the way. Unemployment in Seattle has declined at roughly the same rate as the national average--and the idea that restaurant job losses are overwhelmingly due to the minimum wage increase is infantile. It's also not true: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news...-owners-say-no/

There are 4 restaurants within 4 blocks of my house that have closed since the minimum wage increased. In every single instance the reason they left was exactly the same: their rent was increasing to a level which they couldn't afford. Anywhere from a 100-400% increase. New, more expensive restaurants have/will take their place. I imagine w/the rents in SF the situation is even worse.

You can believe the obfuscated lies you're being fed, and that's cool-but when you're posting them as "fact", expect to get called on it.

Nope, you're wrong, sorry...the article you reference is blatantly biased and leaves out many, as you like to say, facts...

Originally Posted By: JOD
I'm bowing out of commenting further in this thread, i'll leave you with this...

1.100 food service jobs have left Seattle

This is categorically false--but don't let facts actually get in the way. Unemployment in Seattle has declined at roughly the same rate as the national average--and the idea that restaurant job losses are overwhelmingly due to the minimum wage increase is infantile. It's also not true: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news...-owners-say-no/

There are 4 restaurants within 4 blocks of my house that have closed since the minimum wage increased. In every single instance the reason they left was exactly the same: their rent was increasing to a level which they couldn't afford. Anywhere from a 100-400% increase. New, more expensive restaurants have/will take their place. I imagine w/the rents in SF the situation is even worse.

You can believe the obfuscated lies you're being fed, and that's cool-but when you're posting them as "fact", expect to get called on it.

Nope, you're wrong, sorry...the article you reference is blatantly biased and leaves out many, as you like to say, facts...

Considering he lives in the Puget Sound, I'll place a higher weight on what he posts about what is happening in Seattle. Where the heck is BBM anyway? You're awful vocal for someone that has been here less than a month.

Considering he lives in the Puget Sound, I'll place a higher weight on what he posts about what is happening in Seattle. Where the heck is BBM anyway? You're awful vocal for someone that has been here less than a month.

Well there you go. I mean, since he actually lives there then obviously he's more than qualified. Case closed!

Does BITOG have a minimum posting rule before someone can be deemed "vocal"?

Last edited:
^^^ Gentlemen.. Doesn't Washington state has the highest minimum wage in the country?

And, yes, where is "BBM." A lot of people on Honda - Tech are from the PNY. But that is not relevant to this conversation..

NJ will go up every year now..

Sincerely, - Cornholio.

Problem with job market is lots of people looking for work and few job openings. Gut of workers in lower skilled positions will drive down the wages, lots of job seekers overlook this.

I work in healthcare and was talking to a respiratory technician and his pay was topped out at $32 an hour. He was upset cause he did not get a raise in 2 years. The employer sets the wages based on your skill set, if he complained his boss would tell him I can hire RT's for $25 an hour out of school.

Everybody in the USA wants to make more money, what can be done to increase their level of training and education ?

Quote:
You don't have to increase sales, you just increase prices. If your labor cost is 30% of the product price, then a $4 ticket is $1.20 in labor. Double that and now you're at $2.40. So now your $4 ticket is $5.20, not $8. Your Thai place will probably have to follow suit and your $8 alternative won't be there. Also it might not be a $1.20 increase because in theory once you're paying $15, you can be more selective or turnover will be much lower yielding a more efficient workforce.
You're forgetting that all your other costs will also increase. Not just your labor costs will increase, everyone's labor costs will. All those costs will be passed to you.

None of this stuff is really going to impact the big multinationals. They'll have tech and strategies available to offset the cost. They may even be lobbying for it; who's going to be finished off is the mom and pop shops who barely get by now.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
We do not have a democracy when a few hundred disgruntled workers demand $15/hr with picket signs and yell the loudest.

Being able to petition the government about one's grievances is pretty democratic.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Problem with job market is lots of people looking for work and few job openings. Gut of workers in lower skilled positions will drive down the wages, lots of job seekers overlook this.

I work in healthcare and was talking to a respiratory technician and his pay was topped out at $32 an hour. He was upset cause he did not get a raise in 2 years. The employer sets the wages based on your skill set, if he complained his boss would tell him I can hire RT's for $25 an hour out of school.

Everybody in the USA wants to make more money, what can be done to increase their level of training and education ?
My wife(RN) deals with the same thing. Raises other than a meager CoL are a thing of the past. And they're dying to get all the older nurses making more out of the hospital. She's back in school for ARNP. Once finished we'll probably be moving to greener pastures.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

grin2.gif

As well as extra-curricular activities. But..

'prone....... I mean cornholio --you WILL be working long hours learning to fix cars, fixing them, and selling them. as well, you will have to get a licence, if you want to make good money.
you state that you want to make a movie on owning a business, and make money that way.good luck. but,let's be honest -- don't you think that you're setting your bar a wee bit high? again, good luck, and have a good day.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Fast food usually runs 20 to 30 % labor to sales. So if you double 7.25 to 14.50 you need to increase sales by at least that 30%. Then you run into people buying more of your loss leader dollar menu or not buying at all. I cannot see it being sustainable unless its done very slowly over time. Average tickets will not go up alongside that labor based price increase.

Which is why McD's is ALREADY testing automation right now.

Hatt,

Same for my sister in law, after 20 years of being an RN she went back to school and became an nurse practicioner which pays over $50 an hour.

Good for her for furthering her education and training.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Why are people complaining about a $15 an hour wage?

Quite simple, really: plenty of people simply ARE NOT WORTH $15 an hour!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I guess let's leave these people on the dole and let us keep complaining about food stamps, welfare, medicaid, etc.
wink.gif

GMfan, how about you go "undercover" and get a job at Burger King for 3 months? I'm grateful to be working beyond fast food but you are the exact type of customer I hated serving fries to.

Go back and read my post. My entire argument is that how can a Beuracrat mandate one specific industry is paid $15/hr while ignoring all others? How can a McDonalds compete with a Pizzeria across the street if the pizzeria can pay workers 50%? Remember that most fast food restaurants are owned by franchisers. Anyone who doesn't see that this is a witch hunt against the fast food industry isn't seeing the whole picture. That is mob rule in my book.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: GMFan
We do not have a democracy when a few hundred disgruntled workers demand $15/hr with picket signs and yell the loudest.

Being able to petition the government about one's grievances is pretty democratic.

Picket all you want. What I meant to say is that we do not have a democracy when specific industries are targeted simply because they make a profit and have deep pockets. That is mob mentality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I guess let's leave these people on the dole and let us keep complaining about food stamps, welfare, medicaid, etc.
wink.gif

They're still going to be on the dole. Companies aren't going to pay lazy idiots $15 an hour to play on their iphone 6s+.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

wink.gif

And that's been my grievance about wal mart and other businesses, not just fast food, who specifically limit "full time" hours so as to not pay benefits, effectively pushing the cost of those people onto the public while the business sucks out their efforts.

You can't have people dying in the streets, nor can you expect to have everyone go along with a wage that based upon economic principles, will impact fewer and fewer people and not necessarily "help" the segment of the population who need it.

But queue the chart from page one:

welfare%20cliff.jpg

Recall that if we base a full man year to be 2000 hours, then a $15/hr job is $30k/yr.

Per this chart, one can do better working less, and collecting from the public.

So how is a $15 "living wage" helping anyone then?

To get someone off the public dole, it means that $30/hr is required. And as the chart shows, closer to $35/hr is required to get equivalency of services and subsidies to the person bringing home $29k (just under $15/he).

So... Let's review this again, everyone... Living wage practically speaking is $30/hr. Now how does everyone feel about it? To all those pushing for increased minimum wage, what is the threshold where you realize that fast food, or whatever else, just isn't worth paying that much???

And at that point, now what do you do with al the people capable of only earning minimum skill/wage jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back