Windshield scratch removal question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my car has a couple of light scratches from using the ice scraper during the winter months.

They are superficial and not visible at all during the day or dim light but when the night comes they become quite visible/irritating when you have incoming traffic lights.

My question is: Do you think I could get rid of them by using some 3M fast cutting and then some finishing compound, or I risk damaging it even more.

Replacing it is not an option as I don't want an el chepo aftermarket nor am I willing to part with $500 for an OEM one at the stealership

Thanks!

There are dedicated glass polishing compounds and pads that will likely correct or diminish the lighter scratches.
One has to be somewhat careful how one goes about it, as there is a risk of changing the optical characteristics of the glass and creating a distortion of view.
The tools, technique and principals are the same as for carrying out paint correction, only the products are different.

Carpro ceraglass polish products come to mind.

One should always protect themselves from inhaling air born polish compounds when polishing glass as the compounds are hazardous.

It's probably best to live with it and wait until the screen needs replacement.

Last edited:
How do you scratch a windshield using an "Ice Scraper" in the winter? Having lived in Western New York, and in the Down East Coast of Maine, plus one winter in Roswell NM (yes it snows in Roswell and Ruidoso), I have NEVER had scratches from my ice scrapers. Even now, I carry an ice scraper with me in case I have to make an emergency trip to WNY in the winter. (This is also the reason I don't allow dealers or servicing locations [fluid checks] to fill my windshield washer fluid tank here in Florida as the fluid here only goes down to 32F [0C]).

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
How do you scratch a windshield using an "Ice Scraper" in the winter? Having lived in Western New York, and in the Down East Coast of Maine, plus one winter in Roswell NM (yes it snows in Roswell and Ruidoso), I have NEVER had scratches from my ice scrapers. Even now, I carry an ice scraper with me in case I have to make an emergency trip to WNY in the winter. (This is also the reason I don't allow dealers or servicing locations [fluid checks] to fill my windshield washer fluid tank here in Florida as the fluid here only goes down to 32F [0C]).

I assure you it is possible, the fact that when it's minus -20 C and you have to scrap half an inch of ice that is stuck like super-glue to the windshield, even when using de-icing spray, you have to go in there and apply some pressure and sometime I suppose the corner edge of the scrapper digs in and creates like a holographic linear scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back