FireClean is simple vegetable oil. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to like it, but as it shows, over time it is likely to gum up over time and is sold at highway robbery prices.

Ballistol, another popular lube is mostly just regular mineral oil with a few additives.

Depending on what gun I am using, I have always had good luck with Ballistol or CLP. I use Rem Oil to fog on my guns that will sit in the safe long term to protect the outside against rust.

Last edited:
Most all of these "gun lubes" are nothing more than high priced gimmick lubricants, composed of common existing lubricants or vegetable oils that are sold at ridiculous profits. In this regard "Frog Lube" is one of the greatest hoaxes perpetuated on the American gun owner.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Most all of these "gun lubes" are nothing more than high priced gimmick lubricants, composed of common existing lubricants or vegetable oils that are sold at ridiculous profits. In this regard "Frog Lube" is one of the greatest hoaxes perpetuated on the American gun owner.

The Frog man admitted that Frog Lube was repackaged Track lube slightly modified for gun use. Is that the hoax ? Track Lube was made for Modern high speed, high load roller coasters. Are you saying Frog Lube (Track Lube) is worthless ? If so prove it
confused.gif

I have 1 of my guns set as the Frog Lube (paste) experiment. My Beretta A400 Excel has 5,000 shells through it and it shows no sign of wear or rust. The plastic wadding doesn't stick to the inside of barrel. Carbon on and in the gas cylinder/piston wipes clean with a Frog lubed patch. I don't use Frog Lube on the trigger group and haven't shot in the winter season yet. If the Frog lube works in the winter weather then all my shotguns will be Frog lubed.

That being said I do understand that shotguns are not the same as AR's so don't know how Frog Lube works in other applications.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Are you saying Frog Lube (Track Lube) is worthless ? If so prove it

I never said it was "worthless". It's vegetable oil. Nothing more, nothing less. With some mint added for aroma, along with some coloring agent to make it a nice pretty, pastel green. That's it. It's not some miracle lube that is going to make your weapons last longer. "Fireclean" is no different. There is a good market for these type of products. If there wasn't there wouldn't be 3 pages of products listed on Midway's website under, "Gun Oil".

How fabulous are they? You tell me. I don't have a problem with any of this. It's good old fashion capitalism at work. With that said, all I'm telling you is the bulk of these products are not going to do anything better as far as making your weapons last any longer, than a quart of motor oil and a tube of Lithium Grease you can buy in any auto parts store for a couple of bucks.

I've tried more of these gimmick gun lubes over the last 45 years than I care to admit. All in an attempt to "prove it" to myself that they must be better because they're, "gun specific", and they cost so much more. I have yet to succeed in obtaining that "proof". Perhaps you will.

Originally Posted By: billt460
An interesting read on gun lubes.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/fake-science-[censored]-and-your-favorite-gun-lube/

Hmmm...how many will miss the intended sarcasm (and obvious innuendo) of the Unicorn D*** Lube?

One of the things that continues to surprise me is how much money people will pay for tiny bits of lubricant for their guns.

When my 1lb tub of Mobil 1 grease had too little left to grease a single wheel bearing, I bought more grease for the cars and set that tub on the bench next to my gun supplies. After lubing the Garand a dozen times, it looks like the dregs of that grease tub will last another 20 years or so...

I did try Ballistol...and concluded that it didn't perform any better at cleaning or lubing than CLP...but it's great for keeping my wife's garden tools, and my axes, clean and rust-free...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
One of the things that continues to surprise me is how much money people will pay for tiny bits of lubricant for their guns.

And stand in line to pay it with zero information to back up the outlandish claims. Just testimonials, along with claims by the manufacturer. (Usually some ex SEAL or retired "operator"). It reminds me of engine oil additives. If you walk the isles of most any auto parts store, there is at least one of them filled end to end with engine or transmission additives. Every one of them with the promise to, "Reduce Wear", "Improve Performance", "Give Longer Engine Life", and "Increase Fuel Economy". Yet they cannot provide one single bit of scientific data to prove such claims. And NOT ONE manufacturer recommends ANY of them.

Yet every Saturday morning there is yet another one being advertised with the same line of B.S. that all of these miracle gun lubes are marketed with. Again, there is nothing wrong with any of this. It's the American way. If they can turn a buck, more power to them. I just get so tired of hearing how someone thinks they actually work "better", because of what they have experienced with the product. The fact is they would have experienced much the same thing with any of the others as well.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on my guns slides or anywhere that there is heavier pressure, and a little rem oil or whatever oil I have for lighter portions of the guns, springs etc.
I have had the grease for 15 years, its just good stuff.
I know one company is just rehashed bicycle chain grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back