Chinese Car Crash Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has been said, many times on this site.

The Chinese can make good products, but that only happens when they WANT to.

If the product is a piece of rubbish by design, made with rubbish materials, then we all know what the end result will be.

That is actually impressive considering their auto industry and safety standards are a new thing. It took much longer for US and other Asian auto industry to achieve same ratings.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
On the same YouTube page is a real eye opener of a crash test.

Link

OMG they wasted that '59 Bel Air. For what? What did that prove that wasn't already known? Unforgivable.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

Link

OMG they wasted that '59 Bel Air. For what? What did that prove that wasn't already known? Unforgivable.

It didn't have an engine AFAIK, and look at all the rust dust flying out of it

Hurt's to see, but I ponder it wasn't a great example of a Bel Air to begin with

Here's a tip: They crashed a 4-door. The only place in the world that car is sought after is (maybe) Cuba... and that's only for parts.

The Chinese are the world's copycats....if they aren't honoring copyrights they are stealing technology....they haven't invented anything since gunpowder.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Link

Hurt's to see, but I ponder it wasn't a great example of a Bel Air to begin with

Not accurate. It did have an engine and it wasn't a rusty example.

Those rumors were spread by people who refused to believe how unsafe older cars really are. Do some googling.

Here's just one of the articles about it:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
The Chinese are the world's copycats....if they aren't honoring copyrights they are stealing technology....they haven't invented anything since gunpowder.

Yea but neither has the vast majority of americans. perhaps 10,000 americans meet your standard.
If you're one of those 10,000 individuals then you get to say that.

Otherwise, you're just latching onto nationalism, riding those 10,000's coattails; and likely work less hard than the typical chinese "copycat".

Good to see, I have absolutely no qualms with 99% of chinese products, my garage is choked full of HF tools and knockoffs, my children had only the best $40 knockoff tablets (since retired). I get there have been plenty of bad things such as dog food, but I'll just count myself lucky so far.

And I would buy that car if it was 5 grand brand new. If the USD keeps appreciating like it is that might be a reality someday.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
And I would buy that car if it was 5 grand brand new. If the USD keeps appreciating like it is that might be a reality someday.

The car starts at ~$17,000 USD in China and ~22,000 USD in Europe.

I'm told that the cost of manufacturing in China keeps going up as well. I don't think it will be the bargain basement place to manufacture for long. The cheapest stuff already comes from India and Bangladesh.

China is on the same learning/development curve that Japan and Korea traveled. Although they are MUCH bigger and appear to be learning and developing much quicker.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
China is on the same learning/development curve that Japan and Korea traveled. Although they are MUCH bigger and appear to be learning and developing much quicker.

There was also a time when Germany produced cheap junk.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Link

It was a solid, running car (235/Powerglide, IIRC) with a good frame and body.

Originally Posted By: expat

There was also a time when Germany produced cheap junk.

When was that?

I mean I guess in the 20's one could argue that Mercedes and Horch and a few others were not necessarily the standard of the world like Packard and Duesenberg were, but a 540K is hardly a cheap knock off. Sure Cadillac had the V16 and the Europeans were fiddling with I8's and I6's but still they were very powerful I8's.

Duesenberg had the technology to build whatever they wanted and clearly saw some advantages with the I8 design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
That is actually impressive considering their auto industry and safety standards are a new thing. It took much longer for US and other Asian auto industry to achieve same ratings.

Well we had to develop the technology from scratch, they borrowed it.

Everything is faster when someone else has already done the hard bits.

Originally Posted By: expat

There was also a time when East Germany produced cheap junk.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back