Do you add MMO to your gas or the oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel Mystery Oil.
I was thinking of adding 1Q to my crankcase oil the next time I need to top off the oil.
Is this more effective for cleaning than adding a few ounces to the gas tank?
What is the preferred method here?

Depends on what you want to clean I guess. Personally I don't see it cleaning much in the gas. If it does its a slow progressive clean. It does however quite down my car in the morning with it in the gas so I use it for that.

If your goal is to clean the motor it would work best in the motor oil. People will argue saying it works saying it doesnt. I've never used it to clean but I've used it in my motor oil a few times. Most recently to thin out some Delo 400 That pretty much instantly caused a lifter tick and after adding it the tick went away.

No, never. If I wanted to clean my crankcase I'd start with good cleaning oil (think PYB) with a good lower cost filter (think NAPA Pro Select or maybe Silver) and short OCIs. If I wanted to clean the fuel system I'd use a PEA based additive for that purpose or a fuel known for high detergency (i.e. Shell V-Power Nitro+).

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
Marvel Mystery Oil.
I was thinking of adding 1Q to my crankcase oil the next time I need to top off the oil.
Is this more effective for cleaning than adding a few ounces to the gas tank?
What is the preferred method here?
I buy MMO by the gallon and have used it off and on for years.
I do add it to the gas and I get about 1.5 more miles per gallon in a 2005 La-Sabre, 3.8L engine. From time to time I add it to the oil, but not every oil change. I do add it to my 15 yr old Briggs Vanguard engine vtwin 18hp, never a problem there.I do not have engine problem on either one. PS, I do not add a quart to my auto oil, usually 16 oz only and 4 oz to the Briggs engine.

Last edited:
Why not?

I heard Techron is better for gas additive, so I figured this would help directly clean valves, etc.

I use mmo in the gas of all my small engines and in the gas tank of my cars and trucks every 4 tanks or so it keeps the injector happy and keeps things clean.. My father used it and i believe my grandfather did also.
I remember in the 80's my friend had his fathers plymouth fury with the 383 and my friend revved the engine very high and it was ticking very loudly (lifter tick) we brought it to my families engine shop and my dad mixed the mmo with some gas and sprayed it in the carb and the tick was gone in a few seconds..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I use mmo in the gas of all my small engines and in the gas tank of my cars and trucks every 4 tanks or so it keeps the injector happy and keeps things clean.. My father used it and i believe my grandfather did also.
I remember in the 80's my friend had his fathers plymouth fury with the 383 and my friend revved the engine very high and it was ticking very loudly (lifter tick) we brought it to my families engine shop and my dad mixed the mmo with some gas and sprayed it in the carb and the tick was gone in a few seconds..

I believe it just makes the makers of MMO happy. I don't think there's any need for it. Not recommended by any auto manufacturer. Cars today are different than the ones made in the 80's.

Quote:
Do you add MMO to your gas or the oil ?

Neither. I tried it a few times in my gas tanks. Only thing I thought it did was clean my wallet out! LOL

I've never used MMO, and honestly don't understand the fascination that others have with it.

To me, it's debatable how much good MMO ever did, but with the quality of fuels and motor oils that are available today, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would add a "mystery" mix to a carefully engineered motor oil. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Neither. I tried it a few times in my gas tanks. Only thing I thought it did was clean my wallet out! LOL

LOL! That is what it does best! You have to admit the marketers of MMO are brilliant, you can waste your money dumping it both gas and oil!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

I believe it just makes the makers of MMO happy. I don't think there's any need for it. Not recommended by any auto manufacturer. Cars today are different than the ones made in the 80's.

Father and grandfather mentioned so we are probably talking about cars in the 1930s!

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I've never used MMO, and honestly don't understand the fascination that others have with it.

To me, it's debatable how much good MMO ever did, but with the quality of fuels and motor oils that are available today, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would add a "mystery" mix to a carefully engineered motor oil. Go figure.

+1 - thus the "mystery" continues!!

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
Marvel Mystery Oil.

Are you running a non-detergent monograde or trying to start an engine filled with monograde in a Saskatchewan winter?
wink.gif

I'm sure there could be some crankcase cleaning effect, but modern engine oils do quite well in that regard. Is there something you're trying to actually address? With respect to fuel, a proper PEA type additive might be preferable. I just find we're expecting a lot from solvent type additives when they get diluted that much.

I feel that adding a few ounces of MM to gas (4 oz. to 10 gallons of gas) is a good UCL and may do a slight amount of ring pack cleaning. I do it a couple of times a year when I get MM on sale.

I also feel adding 16 oz of MM to oil (in winter or if using a higher viscosity than recommended) will do some cleaning. It's really not necessary in a well maintained engine but can help when buying a used car (with a sketchy OCI history), IMO.

Use top tier fuel and a high quality oil and IMO that does everything MMO claims to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back