Can Castrol 5W40 handle cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil in March in my 05 325i and winter is fast approaching. I used Castrol 5W40 and I am shooting for 1 year OCIs but all I hear on BITOG is how badly this oil sucks.

Last winter I was having a bit of a knocking noise during cold starts. I wonder if it is oil related?

Is there any reason why Castrol 5W40 shouldn't be able to do the job?

I have 4.4L M1 0W40, 2 L Castrol 5W40, 1 L M1 10W30 in my stash. So if I change it, it will have to be a blend.

Should I try to get my money's worth or use up this [censored] oil?

1st, who says Castrol 5w30 sucks? I am surprised to hear that.

2nd, what does your owners manual recomend for the temps you will be operating in?

3rd, only you can make the decision on the custom blend but personally I wouldn't. If it was a high mileage beater maybe...

Castrol 5w-40 can handle cold just fine. It is the service fill for VW/Audi here and this grade is recommended for year-round use, regardless of climate. You will be fine.

I also use 5w-40 (Pennzoil) in my 530i year round. Never had any problems with cold starts at temps as low as 0F or anything else.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I changed my oil in March in my 05 325i and winter is fast approaching. I used Castrol 5W40 and I am shooting for 1 year OCIs but all I hear on BITOG is how badly this oil sucks.

Last winter I was having a bit of a knocking noise during cold starts. I wonder if it is oil related?

Is there any reason why Castrol 5W40 shouldn't be able to do the job?

I have 4.4L M1 0W40, 2 L Castrol 5W40, 1 L M1 10W30 in my stash. So if I change it, it will have to be a blend.

Should I try to get my money's worth or use up this [censored] oil?

1. Yes, Castrol 5W40 sucks, but not because of cold cranking capabilities, but because it has high NOACK, does not meet MB 229.5 etc.
2 Use Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 for all year around. Those are much better oils then Castrol 0W40. You can find both in Wal Mart.
3. For cold cranking I prefer Castrol 0W40 over Mobil1 0W40. But even if you use Mobil1 0W40 it is one of the best preforming oils in the world.

Last edited:
It wasn't that long ago that people were using 10w oil and their vehicles still cranked up in the winter. Yes, 0w might be better, but unless it gets insanely cold where you are, the 5w will probably be just fine. Just use the Castrol 0w-40 (or M1 0w-40) next time and you wont have anything to even question.

Dealer would put LL-01 5W-30 BMW labeled Shell in it.

I'd pick up another jug of M1 0W-40 to go with the 4+ quarts you have already and call it good.

Use the scraps in your Camry or other beater.

Also, make sure and change all the o-rings in the filter kit. That might help with the start up noise if it is clatter and not a dead knock.

The 5w-XX is fine in Canadian winters. However, it's not necessarily the best choice, since there are preferable (for various reasons) options at the same cost. Canadian Tire and/or Walmart Canada and/or Partsource will have the Castrol 0w-40 or M1 0w-40 or even the GC 0w-30 on sale on occasion.

I can't speak for Castrol 5w40 but I do feel that Castrol's gasoline engine oil's are not the best cold weather performers.

I'd use their 0W40 (or M1's) in winter if I had a BMW.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Save the 5W-40 for summer and use the 0W-40 and liter of 10W-30 for colder months.

Meh, I'd just use the 0w40 all year round, that's what I do in my VW, no issues. Don't know why one would add 10w30 to it. If it specs it (assuming it does, since OP is using the 5w version), all 0w40 will be just fine. I even used 0w40 in the hot Mississippi summers.

Thank you for the comments. I am leaning towards running it for 1 year OCI.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
1. Yes, Castrol 5W40 sucks, but not because of cold cranking capabilities, but because it has high NOACK, does not meet MB 229.5 etc.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I can't speak for Castrol 5w40 but I do feel that Castrol's gasoline engine oil's are not the best cold weather performers.

Castrol is not known to provide accurate sheets but the numbers on the Castrol spec sheet aren't the greatest for cold performance.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Thank you for the comments. I am leaning towards running it for 1 year OCI.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Originally Posted By: pbm

Castrol is not known to provide accurate sheets but the numbers on the Castrol spec sheet aren't the greatest for cold performance.

It is 5W40, it will provide decent cold start. But, if I were you, move to Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40. Those are much better oils. If you want to see Castrol PDS, go on German Castrol web site. But of all 0W40 oils, Castrol 0W40 has best pour point, -76f.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Noack I agree, not sure about deposits as there is no difference between 229.3 and 229.5 offers in terms of VM content.

Several questions about that oil:
1. Why if 0W40 is available? I do not know! What I can think is selling average product for money of really good product (Castrol 0W40, M1 0W40 etc).
2. All VW's that I saw that had issues with carbon deposits were maintained in VW using strictly Castrol 5W40.
Scientific proof? No, but made me think.
3. PDS? What is in that oil? Numbers? All I can find is minimal HTHS etc, no exact numbers.

Bottom line: Castrol knows it can sell that product to American buyer as long as it says Synthetic.
But again, it is BP so.....

Latest PDS

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C5A332E99A50E62C80257EC20051533C/$File/BPXE-A2PCHU.pdf

Thanks for the data sheet. NOACK is only 3% higher than M1 0W40.

I suspect this product goes constant reformulation though. I am aware of the SM 5W40, SN 5W40, and SN 5W40 with Titanium.

Latest PDS

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C5A332E99A50E62C80257EC20051533C/$File/BPXE-A2PCHU.pdf

Well this definitely progress, Castrol showing actual numbers and not just minimum requirements.
Still, not worth of money.
Castrol 5W40 Edge is around $9 for a quart. I need 5 quarts, which is including tax around $52.
Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40 is $ 28 in the worst case scenario in Wal Mart, and the meet MB 229.5, and have better NOACk and cold starting capabilities.
I can find locally Pentosin 5W40 for $44, meets MB 229.51 (VW 502.00/505.01).
It took them years to get us proper PDS, hopefully in this decade they meet MB 229.5
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back