Had a good experience with a shop today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my I35 into a local shop running a special on front end alignments. They also do headlight restorations for a good price and seeing as mine were pretty hazy, I added that on as well.

Turned out the tech went a little overboard on one of the headlights and ended up damaging it. The other one was fine and actually turned out great. Without issue, the manager owned up to the damage and said he already ordered a new headlight and it'd be here in a few days. I would've seen the damage myself but I'd have to make the drive back to the shop again and explain everything. As distrustful as I am of other people working on my cars, I was pretty impressed by this shop's professionalism.

Last edited:
Be aware,the cheapie Chinese replacements can be terrible on beam pattern,I bet you wont be getting OEM new,but TYC..etc knockoffs.

Should have told him there was no need for a new one (of unknown quality), should have gotten a good one from a junkyard, and had them polish it up if necessary.

Yep unless they ordered you an OEM housing you are better off without it. I am amazed at the junk every single aftermarket maker has. VSP, TYC, it's all junk. Poor beam pattern, thinner gauge wires with thicker insulation to appear oem thickness, poor sealing letting water leak, poor aiming control, cheaper plastics and UV coating... Really bad stuff.

If they ordered you an oem housing that's a great shop! Keep us updated

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
How can you screw up a headlight polish job? ??

Yeah, that is a tough one to explain, but I think the most important thing is the shop owned up to their mistake and took ownership, now if they make sure they got him a good OEM unit even if used, he is good to go. I wouldn't accept one of those horrid, cheap after market units.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yep, it's good that they owned up. How can they screw up a headlight polish? Look how many oil changes get screwed up, and that's a fair simpler job, in my view.

Stuff happens and they are owning up.

Nice story, moving on.

Gads: Some of you make it sound like a conspiracy between the Chinese and the dealer. The dealer was doing the correct thing and some of us are ASSUMING where the dealer would purchases the item and then the quality of it. Bunch of negative people here, that need to get a more positive outlook on life. Ed

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
there are a lot of honest shops around.

The vast majority of my shop experiences are positive. I've moved three times, and had to find new shops, and I've still managed to find good ones.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
there are a lot of honest shops around.

If that's true there are tons more dishonest and incompetent shops around, even this shop was incompetent, but I would overlook their error since they are admitting they screwed up and replacing the hl unit with a good one, now I want to hear about which replacement unit they provide him with, if it is a cheap new junk part then I would say they are still a bad shop. :Lets hope they replace it with a used OEM unit in good condition. Still waiting to hear back from the OP.

You guys raised a good point about an OEM headlight. I'm not sure what the shop's going to install. I'll give them a call when I have the chance and find out.

Also, the tech used a heat gun for too long on one spot and left a burn mark on the light.

My wife and I were on I85 headed to NC the other day when the low tire psi warning came on. It showed 28psi on the left rear tire. An exit came up and we got some air and directions to a tire repair shop.

On the way, we saw a Chrysler Jeep dealershi(Piedmont in Anderson, SC). Pulled in and the service writer showed us to their nice lounge. About 7 minutes later he's back with the key fob for our 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and says it's all taken care of and there's no change. They had installed a plug in the tire and aired it up.I thanked him profusely and we were on our way. The plug has worked fine.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back