DIY headlight restoration. One headlight clearer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my headlights were milky and yellowing (one side much worse than the other) so i wet sanded them down with 400, 600 and 2000 grit, cleaned the headlight with some alchohol and then covered them with some uv resistant clearcoat.

My problem is that one side looks way better than the other. The side that started out the [censored] finished the [censored], i also have a bit of orange peel (which im probably going to wet sand a little tomorrow) but im wondering if i should resand the [censored] one down and go over it again with the 2000 grit and reclearcoat it? And if i do how long do i need to wait after my first clearcoat job (the messed up one) before i can sand it down?

fz3EZJ.jpg

Not as clear

Jvz75f.jpg

Looks alot better

He's doing it the right way, just not used to laying paint down or wet sanding.

Let it dry 24 hours assuming u used the clear mentioned in the video. Then do your buffing or wet sanding on the headlight you aren't happy with. Keep it smooth and steady, keep moving and try to keep the pressure uniform. Also make sure you are generous with the water while sanding. Pulling the headlight might make your life easier.

Toothpaste works as well as the headlight restore kits so its cheap and easy. Problem is it will just come back, any polish, wax, whatever u use will just delay the return.

The original UV coating has worn off and the plastic is discoloring. Sanding or toothpaste, etc takes off the yellowed layer but does nothing to seal it. I am going this route as well, just waiting until I have a little extra time as I am pulling the headlights to make my life easier. Once you actually wet sand and clear coat them you give that protection back and should get a few years out of it at least.

Of course if the headlights are bad enough, nothing you do will help unless u replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back