Salmon - Wild Caught Coho or Sockeye ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local groceries stores have Coho salmon fillet on sale for $8.99/lb and Sockeye salmon fillet for $7.99/lb, both are wild caught.

Which one do you prefer ? I had mostly Sockeye before and I don't remember if I ever had Coho.

People tend to prefer sockeye salmon. Coho is regarded as having a milder flavor.

Since I smoke my salmon, I am not all that particular on the type.

Interestingly, farmed salmon may have less mercury (but more antibiotics)

One long piece of filet is about 2 pounds, so the fish weight is more than 4 pounds, probably 5-5.5 pounds.

Never had Coho before, so I will try both for dinner tomorrow.

I don't have smog, gas grill wasn't bad.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
People tend to prefer sockeye salmon. Coho is regarded as having a milder flavor.

Since I smoke my salmon, I am not all that particular on the type.

Interestingly, farmed salmon may have less mercury (but more antibiotics)
Heh heh Farmed fish and cattle are fed corn and they both need antibiotics to stay healthy. It is probably better to either eat the corn directly or feed it to critters that are designed to eat it.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
get one of each. they are different animals so they taste different

+1. Try Copper River Salmon too. Some will say its nearly a brand name:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/08/how-copper-river-salmon-got-so-famous/60700/

But Ive found that the consistency of them can be different.

Maybe that's just dependent upon the fish or processing, etc. But Ive found that each have subtle differences in their flavor and texture.

I have to say I do like the Copper river stuff, but its $$$, so usually we get Sockeye just as a matter of convenience and cost. I don't see much coho.

We don't have Copper River Salmon here in So Cal, never saw any in all groceries stores where I live. We mostly have Sockeye and once in a while 1 or 2 groceries chains have Soho, normal price is about $14-15/lb but this week they have it on sale for $9.

Can someone please run the differences and merits of different species of salmon by me? I like my salmon hot-smoked and as lox.

There are several Salmon species, the most common(available in So Cal) is Sockeye and next is Coho.

We had both wild caught Coho and Sockeye grilled last Saturday, both are good but I like Sockeye a little better, it seems to be more moisture and tasted a little richer.

I found this guide, but they don't elaborate on the differences in taste and texture. Then I looked a bit more and found this:

the king or chinook, is prized for its high fat content and buttery texture and is rich in omega-3s. Sockeye, an oilier fish with deep red flesh, is also high in heart-healthy omega-3s but has a stronger flavor and stands up well to grilling. Coho is milder and often lighter in color. Pink and chum are smaller fish and most often used in canning or smoking and are good budget choices. Last, the most common fish you will find at the market, the species known as Atlantic salmon, is a farmed species. It has a rich, fatty taste but is not recommended by environmental groups

http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/food_news_blog/which_salmon_should_i_buy

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
We had both wild caught Coho and Sockeye grilled last Saturday, both are good but I like Sockeye a little better, it seems to be more moisture and tasted a little richer.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I found this guide, but they don't elaborate on the differences in taste and texture. Then I looked a bit more and found this:

the king or chinook, is prized for its high fat content and buttery texture and is rich in omega-3s. Sockeye, an oilier fish with deep red flesh, is also high in heart-healthy omega-3s but has a stronger flavor and stands up well to grilling. Coho is milder and often lighter in color. Pink and chum are smaller fish and most often used in canning or smoking and are good budget choices. Last, the most common fish you will find at the market, the species known as Atlantic salmon, is a farmed species. It has a rich, fatty taste but is not recommended by environmental groups.

http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/food_news_blog/which_salmon_should_i_buy

I'm not a food critic and I didn't use the correct word either.

I agree with what they said in the article about Sockeye is fattier and tasted richer than Soho.

We rarely have Chinook salmon on sale in So Cal. Never tried it, but will try whenever local groceries store has it on sale.

I like the wild salmon Coho or Sockeye from Costco whatever is available.

For the Chinook(King) I get those from a fish wholesaler at cost fresh delivered. I do him favors too. Those are for rare occasion twice a year. Rarely if we do see those on the market(fresh) only on special delivery as availability is very limited. Frozen doesn't appeal me.

For raw fish Chinook is tops for salmon. Sablefish is another one up there.

My ranking - Sablefish(buttery oil taste))

Chinook(raw)

Sockeye

Coho

Those fish need to be air flown. Of course local live fish are hard be beat too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back