Royal Purple??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really true what they say about it? Is this oil superior to everything on the market including M1 and Amsoil? Have anyone here had really dramatic changes by switching to RP from whatever?

I drive 2002 Toyota 4Runner 6 cylinder. Switch to M1 HM as soon as I bought it on 95K and it's been ok so far, it's 125K now. Recommended weight 5W-30.

Would RP make a difference? Like changing it once a year, (now I do it twice, I don't drive that much).

There are a bunch of grades of the botique oils. I'm not a believer in paying $50 for 5 quarts of oil that is no better than M1/PP/Castrol Edge that I can get on Walmart shelves for $30/5 quarts.

35.gif

Brace yourself, swampy_swimmer, Royal Purple threads can get ugly. My short take on it is this: the API grades of RP are good synthetic oils, with an additive package that is very similar to Valvoline. So if you can get RP for the same price as Valvoline, it's a good deal. Paying $9-10 per quart is too much. The non-API grades of RP which contain Synerlec, such as their HPS, does seem to give very good wear protection, in the 1 or 2 cases that anybody here can name.

Why did they remove the Synerlec additive from their basic retail oil? (As in not their HPS or XPR oils) I remember when Royal Purple first came out it was great stuff and I swore up and down by it. Before I started my regular Pennzoil Ultra Platinum routine I was considering RP but started reading about their reformulations happening back in 2011. I didn't know about that.

If you can get it at a price you're happy with, go for it. It's a good oil, but "better" can be defined in a lot of ways. No, it won't give your engine more power or make it last longer or make it more fuel efficient. But, it will certainly do its job with aplomb.

Luisraul924: They removed it from their API line because they wanted that line to obtain current API and ILSAC certification where applicable. Synerlec puts sulfur through the roof, which is a problem in this regard.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the synerlec additive contains too much sulphur for the new api ratings.

Edit: well, there you go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swampy_swimmer
Is it really true what they say about it?

What is it that they say about it? That it's purple? Yes, it's true.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is it really true what they say about it?

What is it that they say about it?

That it's Valvoline?

Just had to do it....

Royal Purple comes up every month or two on here. Discussion of it used to be unofficially prohibited.

Royal Purple is fine, most just don't trust it because they feel it is purple, and therefore gimmicky.

I've used Royal Purple in cars and it was awesome.. and about the only thing keeping it out of my present cars is that for the same money, I could get Redline, which is better.

But RP ain't bad, no matter WHAT the Mobil 1 heads say.. since one is always used as an example to bunk the other. THEY ARE BOTH FINE.

N ¥×.. Where's that popcorn at, because this one should get good.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
I've used Royal Purple in cars and it was awesome.. and about the only thing keeping it out of my present cars is that for the same money, I could get Redline, which is better.

Its regular retail price up here is acceptable in comparison to other regularly priced synthetics. However, regularly priced oil up here is absolutely atrocious. So, if someone wants a synthetic without hunting sales or going to a distributor, RP is a very viable solution. However, I get Delvac 1 at half the price.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Would RP make a difference?

With what?

Ok, thanks everyone. I got the idea.
grin.gif

We're told here, from time-to-time, that many oils now have organic additives that aren't detectable by ordinary VOA's. But every time RP comes up, or for that matter Valvoline, many will say that it has a weak add pack. The VOA of RP SN 5w-30 shows a moderate amount of calcium, and sodium. But if we really can't see what else is going on, we don't know if the add pack is "strong" or not.

Having said that, if RP is on sale for the same price as other synthetics, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I buy the less expensive stuff.

They have very good branding.

I feel they should ditch the actual purple dye in the oil, and have a GTL basestock if they can license/purchase from Shell.

Then for their Non-API, do the same thing only add Synerlec.

Also, if they could price in line with the big three and have the same sales, I would run it.

But the above I listed is why there is no BITOG following on this $$$ oil.

The oil in my Sig, CT Formula 1 Synthetic 5W20 is made by Shell and would give the same wear numbers as the equivalent API oil from RP.

Only thing is, I got it on sale for $15.99. For a 5L jug.

Last edited:
I saw some stuff online about RP being a real group IV synthetic instead of a III (not sure if that's true) and decided to pay the extra $10/5 quarts over the cost of M1 5W30 at MalWart for it. Before I actually put it in my car, I saw a cold pour test on YouTube in which it looked like taffy while M1 was flowing nicely. As I regularly park my car outside overnight and start it early in the morning in the Whites on winter weekends, I poked around some more and found this PQIA testing that showed it did, indeed, have relatively high cold viscosity.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
I was able to return the jug and bought QSUD for that change (since have switched back to M1). Probably is fine for warmer climates or cars that are consistently garaged, but it's not like the TBN or NOACK are anything special, either...I don't see what's special about it from the analysis results. I also noticed that it has little boron or moly, but a lot of sodium...not sure what the sodium is for in motor oil?
Don't know anything about their specialty oils...

Last edited:
Saying that SynPower and API Royal Purple are virtually the same thing based on a VOA ingredient's list isn't fair to either oil. Most of what goes into an oils formulation goes undetected and is 'proprietary'. The continual perpetuation of this myth is based on seeing only the tip of the iceberg per say.

Comparing oils based on standardized test results/certifications and approvals is one thing, on the ingredients is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back