Honda ATF-DW1, 21874 mi, 02 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

OK, so what does BITOG say of this report?

Background on the vehicle, it has 230k miles on the original transmission. Trans was dealer serviced every 30k miles using Honda ATF. (ATF-Z1 is listed on all the invoices, but I imagine they have used ATF-DW1 for the last couple of years....)

Runs, drives, and shifts fine. I did not change the ATF, I drew a sample with the vacuum UOA kit just to see where things are at..

odyssey-trans-230k.jpg

seems kinda bad but you probably already knew that with 200k+ miles on that transmission.

I'd expect to need a transmission sometime in the next couple of years.
Thats quite alot of "wear" for 20000mile interval.

Why does it seem kinda bad and in danger of failure in two years? If your blood work looked like that, with just one test a abnormal but not severe or caution, at an equivalent age to your Honda, your doctor would say it looks fine. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
200,000 miles on a Honda automatic transmission is really good!

From 2002, it is. Not anything post 2004, it's nothing from a Honda slushbox to go 300k+

Originally Posted By: Phishin

From 2002, it is. Not anything post 2004, it's nothing from a Honda slushbox to go 300k+

Thank you for being a voice of reason against the "Honda makes bad A/T's" crowd.

My 2005 Honda Accord V6 had 240K miles when traded in last year with just two transmission fluid changes (drain and fill x3 each time). One at 100K and one at 200K, both done by me. No issues. My wife had to pry my hands off the wheel to get me to trade it in as it was my DD and all the miles were mine. Still miss it, which is kind of weird since its a Honda Accord.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

As long as you do a drain/fill on a Honda AT every 30,000 you can expect at least 250k

Originally Posted By: cwing6
My 2005 Honda Accord V6 had 240K miles when traded in last year with just two transmission fluid changes (drain and fill x3 each time). One at 100K and one at 200K, both done by me. No issues. My wife had to pry my hands off the wheel to get me to trade it in as it was my DD and all the miles were mine. Still miss it, which is kind of weird since its a Honda Accord.

You got a "good one". You should never trade in a good one. No mater what brand/make. I have a good Toyota right now...almost 100k and never been back to the dealer. I will drive it as long as it will run. BTW, I once traded a "perfect" 1999 Suburban for a left over 2002 and got a lemon....which is why I never trade a vehicle that gives me zero trouble.

Last edited:
So, should I change the ATF then? If I stick with the 30k interval that puts me about 2 years away, based on how not-often it's driven. I have a Pella extractor, I could just draw and replace the 3-4 quarts from the pan annually and call it a day..

Change it. I'm now a low-mileage per year driver and will do it every 15K (which could be two years on my car) instead of 30k. I used to put 30k on in about 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back