FP60 additive in a new clean diesel BMW 335D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 BMW 335D w/ 40k miles. It's starting to have some issues which I believe are all related to carbon buildup. I have a 1/2 gallon of FP60 (from LCD, Inc). The BMW is no longer under warranty but has warnings around the gas filler not to use additives (or biodiesel greater than B7).

Is it possible that a few tanks treated with FP60 could solve the carbon buildup issues & not further damage the 335D?

FWIW the issues I've had in the past 5 months: Temp sensor in the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF or Urea) tank. Temp sensor error in the air intake. Leaky Diesel Exhaust tank (twice). MAF sensor error. The dealer did replace the entire DEF tank with sensor under the emissions system extended warranty & fixed the leaks both times. 1 time they blamed it on a misplace gasket. 2nd time they blamed it on overfilling the tank. They now suggest that I replace the intake & MAF now for $770. Engine light is on & engine is operating under "reduced power."

Thanks All!

Originally Posted By: Jonsonneborn

Is it possible that a few tanks treated with FP60 could solve the carbon buildup issues & not further damage the 335D?

Anything is possible, but.......This is highly unlikely to work. Manually cleaning, and some parts replacement is going to be the only way to fix this.

Carbon buildup in a diesel? This isn't a DI ga$$er - give it a good old Italian tune up!

As someone who has driven EGR'd, turbocharged diesels with IDI (so a lot more soot) for hundreds of thousands of miles, Ive seen the characteristics of soot in the intake, mixed with blowby... but also the lack of effect that it often has. Diesels like to be heavily loaded. Probably contrary to how a BMW set up with one for fast acceleration and high speeds is used in the USA. So youll have to make it so a good bit.

Id have no issue running an additive in that engine. There probably is a level of concern regarding the DPF and also solvency effects on certain rubber parts, but in a controlled application, any of the regular diesel adds should work fine. Im not sure it will solve your issues, but it is worth a try regardless.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Carbon buildup in a diesel? This isn't a DI ga$$er - give it a good old Italian tune up!

+1 The more I read this forum the more I belive that all problems related with carbon buildup in USA derives because there you got lower speed limits + in "90%" automatic transmissions....wich are set up to change gears at too low RPMS...

With too low I mean......too low that carbon buildups will be burnt in the process...

Put your gearbox in to manual mode and shift at higher rpms.....or leave it in a lower gear while you will be driving your car on highway...for cca 10-15minutes....

DPF regeneration if you want it to be properly done...you need to achieve some parametres....read your BMW manual!

In general they are: http://mechanicalee.blogspot.si/2013/04/dpf-regeneration-instructions.html

1) Ensure engine is at operating temperature.
2) Drive in fourth or fifth gear.
3) Drive above 50 mph.
4) Keep engine speed between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
5)Keep going for at least 20 miles.

Some manufacturers has some additional parameters like....your gas tank must be at least 1/2 full etc....

Plus......change your diesel filter (fuel filter) more often..because over the ocean you have worse diesel/gasoline than here in EU....

I am saying that because if injectors get clogged...you will have similar symptomes ( clogged DPF....engine in safe mode programe...etc )

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
..because over the ocean you have worse diesel/gasoline than here in EU....

LOL! what makes you think so? proof that your gasoline(petrol) or diesel better than those obtainable on NA?

Q.

EU EN590: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_590

NA ASTM D975: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/003/astm.d975.2007.pdf

0 ppm of sulfur VS 15ppm

impurities: 0,0024 VS 0,05 (http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/permg_kg.php ) 24mg/kg to % vol.

Cetane number.....flash point number....

Less (cleaning) additives in your gas -----> means more carbon buildup
wink.gif

Last edited:
But I must admit......that ASTM D975 wich I found seems to be from 2007...maybe later one is better in parameters...

When I put D975 into google....that was all I can get (with tables)

Try to find later for better comparison with our EN590!

we are currently on EPA Tier-2 gasoline standards, which sulphur contents limited to around 30 ppm. When 2017 comes along (EPA Tier-3, further reduction in sulphur ppm content to be dropped down to around 10ppm)...

Many other stuff pursues:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/tier3.htm

Also: EPA has mandate on gasoline detergent level (starting around 1995, fully enforced around 1007):

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/P100096K.TXT?ZyActionD=ZyDocument&Client=EPA&Index=1995+Thru+1999&Docs=&Query=&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=1&TocRestrict=n&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&IntQFieldOp=0&ExtQFieldOp=0&XmlQuery=&File=D%3A\zyfiles\Index%20Data\95thru99\Txt\00000020\P100096K.txt&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h|-&MaximumDocuments=1&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g8/r75g8/x150y150g16/i425&Display=p|f&DefSeekPage=x&SearchBack=ZyActionL&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=1&SeekPage=x&ZyPURL

fast-forward to some 20yrs now: all gasoline sold in NA including Canada has lowerd sulphur ppm content, with EPA mandated minimum detergent content to keep the intake valves (and to a certain extent, most gasoline ported fuel injectors) clean.

I personally somewhat agree with diesel being a bit "dirty" here in NA sold--- it wasn't until about 10 years ago that certain parts of the states (with Cali being in full force BTW) on ULSD.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/dieselfuels/regulations.htm

We may be behind in some respects RE: sulphur contents in diesel, where you guys in Euro is now on Euro-6 level. Here in NA it's a bit behind due to lack of interest (we don't use that many diesel light-duty vehicles until recently).

but then again: I see improvements across the boards, citing that many heavy duty diesel trunks now carries a tank of DEF fluid (with blue cap); + some form of retrofitting of some long-haul trunks such as kenworth, westernstar, mac, etc. now carries an additional DEF tank....combined with a CAT also...

Progress made on that part also.

Folks who know me well enough on BITOG realise I'm allergic to diesel anyways, so I've been on gasoline automobiles for almost all of my life. Diesel technology here in NA is behind you folks and that may be indeed the case. Technology has come a long way and there may still be room for North American diesel technology to catch up on ....and the market is slow to catch up on this.

Q.

BTW: out in my neck of the woods: we have gasoline mech to diesel mech on a ratio of at least 30 to 1....

Most european diesel automobile stealerships mech are not on par with the technologies, and indy mech are all over the place when it comes to dealing with latest emissioned diesel automobiles....

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back