10662 miles Castrol GTX SYNBLEND 0W-20 Civic Hybri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol GTX Synblend 0W-20

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid 63k miles

10662 miles on sample

20150909_182748_zpsubul37ar.png

NOTE: They say it is EDGE when it is not.

Last edited:
Anybody else notice that additives seem very light in GTX Synblend (and maybe the Magnatec successor too). Low boron, extremely low-to-nonexistent moly, calcium could be 3,000 ppm, phosphorous could be 50% more and still meet SN max requirements.
Magnatec has been suspected of using esters to meet wear requirements. Wonder what Synblend did in the past?

Also remember that the older synblend is a blend, while the newer Magnatec is full synthetic in 0w20 (and 5w20, too)

Originally Posted By: BigD1
What is their recommended TBN limit?

I would like to know as well. Blackstone in the past said don't go below 1

The Honda OLM stated the oil was 10%

Per your comment that the Honda Maintenance Minder was at 10%, it looks like you could have driven about another 500 to perhaps 1000 miles since it reports in steps of 0%, 5%, 10%, and 15%.

With the above said, it looks like you were right and proper to change out the oil with the TBN at 1.4. You got your value from this OC.

Originally Posted By: Provi
Originally Posted By: BigD1
What is their recommended TBN limit?

I would like to know as well. Blackstone in the past said don't go below 1

The Honda OLM stated the oil was 10%

I was reading about TBN at PQIA, and the article said that a TBN reading of less than three indicates oil needs changing.

"In an effort to strike a balance, the total base number of a new oil is typically in the range of 7 to 10 for gas engines and 10 to 14 for diesel engines. When the TBN in a used oil drops below 3, it typically indicates the need for an oil change." Source: PQIA linked.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/TBN.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back