Additive for rear main leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... My '96 Mustang GT with a 4.6L and 5 speed manual appears to have a rear main leak. Could be oil pan gasket, but I'd bet rear main. Might be starting to contaminate clutch (might just be my heavy left foot). I've seen many different stop leaks and rear main leak sealers, but are any of them SAFE and effective? Mostly, SAFE? I'd be willing to try one, but the ones I have seen talk about polymeric action and such and I really am unwilling to risk any type of negative effects; its one thing if it doesn't work or doesn't work well but causing further problems is not acceptable.

I am currently using Pennzoil HM PCMO and have a nice stock of Defy PCMO, so that will be the diet for a while regardless.

I had a rear main leak on my 1997 Tahoe. I used Auto RX and followed their instructions for leaky seals. It actually worked and stopped the leak which was permanent and lasted years.

Auto RX how ever did not clean sludge and dirt from another engine I had so it was 1 in 2....worked 50% of the itme for what it is worth.

Liqui-moly motor oil saver will stop Any leak where the gasket has just shrunk and not damaged. You can get it at Napa
It contains boron and has some kind of ester in it. Adding it also raises tbn which allows for longer intervals.
And unlike auto Rx you don't have to order it and wait,and you aren't supporting the jerk that owns the auto Rx company.

It's like 7 bucks. Ask blueovalfilter. He's used it in a vehicle with serious leakage and not a drop leaks anymore,and that experience mimics just about everyone's who's used the product.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
ATP-205 Resealer is a proven additive that works. So is Liqui-Moly's Motor Saver.

There ha go op. Another happy liqui-moly user.

And there is nothing in motor oil saver that can do any harm.

I turned a friend on to Motor Oil Saver to try in a 97 Century with a nasty RMS leak. It stopped it in about 1,000 miles. No more drips on the sheet of old paneling he parks over on his driveway. He's sold. Next OCI he's going to try w/o Motor Oil Saver and see if the leak comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back