Fluid Film Kits - Anbody use one

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Fluid Film, bulk gallon, with a Harbord Freight HPLV airless paint sprayer. Works ok, better when thinned with veggie oil (as per instructions from Eureka/FF) but still not 100% perfect; use short sprays! Then I take a couple of their rattle cans with the rattle can wand to hit inside doors/panels/etc.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I have been using Fluid Film, bulk gallon, with a Harbord Freight HPLV airless paint sprayer. Works ok, better when thinned with veggie oil (as per instructions from Eureka/FF) but still not 100% perfect; use short sprays! Then I take a couple of their rattle cans with the rattle can wand to hit inside doors/panels/etc.

what do you do to spray inside the doors? Just remove the existing plugs and spray in there with the little straw? Their pro gun has a flexible wand, but I don't know the thickness of the wand. I'd like to get full coating inside the doors if possible.

Originally Posted By: JC1

what do you do to spray inside the doors? Just remove the existing plugs and spray in there with the little straw? Their pro gun has a flexible wand, but I don't know the thickness of the wand. I'd like to get full coating inside the doors if possible.

He's talking about the wand that you use on the rattle cans of FF. It's shown on the page in the first link.

I also spray it with a HF paint sprayer. I've been pretty happy with the results. You will still need some rattle cans and the wand attachment for getting inside frame rails and other places. The spray gun is a cheap, easy way to cover large areas. That's where the rattle cans aren't great, when trying to cover larger areas.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

He's talking about the wand that you use on the rattle cans of FF. It's shown on the page in the first link.

I also spray it with a HF paint sprayer. I've been pretty happy with the results. You will still need some rattle cans and the wand attachment for getting inside frame rails and other places. The spray gun is a cheap, easy way to cover large areas. That's where the rattle cans aren't great, when trying to cover larger areas.

Thanks. I'm wondering if the flexible wand with the pro gun is any good for getting into the door panels?

How much FF would you use on a vehicle? I have a 97 Honda Civic and a 2015 Caravan and wondering if 1 gallon of FF would be enough to do both vehicles or should I go with the kit with 2 gallons of FF?

I can only comment on the rattle can wand, which works very well! Sprays out 360 degrees and at the perfect angle from the tube. Does go through a rattle can fast, though.

Amazon link

One gallon would be enough, I think, at least from my experience. It depends how thick you glob it on.

Read this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3224835/My_attempt_at_Fluid_Film_rust_

I used over two cans on my Sonata, but I didn't cover every square inch. My guess would be covering everything thoroughly may take 3 to 4 cans. That would be 36 to 48 OZs by weight, it appears. I don't know how many ozs by weight are in a gallon of FF, but I still think a gallon could probably do two cars. Again, that depends how heavily you apply it.

How much is the second gallon cost in the kits? You can buy gallons of FF for $50 shipped on ebay. That's where I bought mine.

Here's what one website says that sells FF:
http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-1-Gallon-Can-P181.aspx
Quote:
Q. I'm using Fluid Film to undercoat my pickup truck, how many vehicles will 1 gallon cover?

A. It will depend on the thickness of your application, but you should be able to cover 3 trucks with 1 gallon.

This makes sense to me. I don't think I'm halfway through my gallon of FF and I've done my Nissan truck.

I take my vehicles to a pro who actually know what they are doing and have the equipment to do the job correctly.

fluid Film is excellent, but I currently use Corrosion Free, its thicker than Fluid Film and is applied every year and half.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I take my vehicles to a pro who actually know what they are doing and have the equipment to do the job correctly.

fluid Film is excellent, but I currently use Corrosion Free, its thicker than Fluid Film and is applied every year and half.

Just my 2 cents.

For some of us, there are no pros nearby. I've looked into it, and there just aren't any in my area that do any oil-based undercoatings.

DIY'ing it myself is really my only option. It's pretty easy and the equipment has not been expensive for me. I think that's where FF shines. It's affordable and easy to do. It may need a yearly touch up before winter, but I'm fine with that.

My nearest Corrosion Free distributor is a mere 400 miles away, according to the website.
http://www.corrosionfree.com/dealers.html

Fluid Films is quite pricey in Canada and does not hold up all that well in the wheel wells and high wash areas. Their gun is also very expensive considering that a similar undercoating gun can be had for about $20-$30 at Princess Auto.

As for undercoating, try finding some oil distributors in your area, they usually carry some type of oil or dripless undercoating. I use Monarch Oil, located in Kitchener and they sell theirs for about $20 a gallon. It's pretty thick and doesn't wash off was easily and can be thinned with WD40 or some other thin oil.
I managed three applications with one gallon.

For inside the door, trunk, and quarter panels I use rustproofing in a can and a straw. Canadian Tire carries Rust Cure by Corrosion Free. It's a bigger can and cheaper than FF can. It is also thicker than FF and is excellent for external touchups as well. A can of Rust check with a green cap is also very good.
In other words, FF is OK, but In Canada we have better and cheaper options available.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Fluid Films is quite pricey in Canada and does not hold up all that well in the wheel wells and high wash areas. Their gun is also very expensive considering that a similar undercoating gun can be had for about $20-$30 at Princess Auto.

As for undercoating, try finding some oil distributors in your area, they usually carry some type of oil or dripless undercoating. I use Monarch Oil, located in Kitchener and they sell theirs for about $20 a gallon. It's pretty thick and doesn't wash off was easily and can be thinned with WD40 or some other thin oil.
I managed three applications with one gallon.

For inside the door, trunk, and quarter panels I use rustproofing in a can and a straw. Canadian Tire carries Rust Cure by Corrosion Free. It's a bigger can and cheaper than FF can. It is also thicker than FF and is excellent for external touchups as well. A can of Rust check with a green cap is also very good.
In other words, FF is OK, but In Canada we have better and cheaper options available.

Hi Kris,

Can you send me a PM with the contact information for Monarch Oil. I did buy the gun at Princess Auto when it was on sale last year. I just never used it.

I wonder whether something like Waxoyl would be good for the high road wash areas like wheel wells and FF for other areas and in cavities.

I can only comment on the rattle can wand, which works very well! Sprays out 360 degrees and at the perfect angle from the tube. Does go through a rattle can fast, though.

Amazon link

What's nice about using the flexable hose is that it atomizes the Fluid Film.
F F comes out as a mist and floates around covering everything.
Great for getting into Doors and Tailgates (any enclosed area).
I also taped the hose to a wooden dowel and was able to get further into areas.

I do my own undercoating with Fluid Film and the Flexible Hose is a great option.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

Amazon link

What's nice about using the flexable hose is that it atomizes the Fluid Film.
F F comes out as a mist and floates around covering everything.
Great for getting into Doors and Tailgates (any enclosed area).
I also taped the hose to a wooden dowel and was able to get further into areas.

I do my own undercoating with Fluid Film and the Flexible Hose is a great option.

What he said. I purchased the pro gun along with the flexible wand and 360* wand. The flex wand really works well. Ditto on the pro gun. They both work well, so I'm a happy camper.

A quart of FF is enough to cover a subcompact or compact car. The 5-gallon pail I have should last a while...

JC1 - Thanks so much for the links! The fellow at NAPA in Digby NS (i.e. the Canadian-linked company) was very helpful - I ordered the FF & application kit over the phone, and it arrived about three days later.

Sprayed my older vehicle a couple of days ago, and will do the other one soon.

My little 5 US gallon (18.9 litre) Canadian Tire compressor is fine for this.

Even including the cost of the compressor, I'll be money ahead by next year as compared to getting the vehicles Rust Checked annually. As well, the FF looks like a better product than the red Rust Check mineral oil. The green Rust Check is thicker, more like FF, but I don't think the local applicator uses it on the undercarriage.

Here's an important question. When did natural rubber stop being used on modern cars? 2000? I own 2013 Japanese made cars. Fluid film is fine for synthetic rubber and other synthetic bushings BUT it may (according to manufacturer) swell natural rubber.

If this question doesnt get noticed here i may post as a thread.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Thanks. I'm wondering if the flexible wand with the pro gun is any good for getting into the door panels?

How much FF would you use on a vehicle? I have a 97 Honda Civic and a 2015 Caravan and wondering if 1 gallon of FF would be enough to do both vehicles or should I go with the kit with 2 gallons of FF?

You can do a full car with about a quarter of a gallon.

I also have the Kellsport FF gun + wand kit. Works great. Looking forward to seeing the Wisconsin winter results on both of my vehicles that are still fresh from Colorado. There is also a FF distributor in my area. I've never had to use the rattle can FF, the FF 'NAS' Gallon formula sprays fine using the Kellsport gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back