2015 2016 Honda Odyssey Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife wants to get a minivan. Is the current year 2015 Odyssey transmission being the most reliable year? I came across some trans breakdown for 2014. we both like Odyssey inside and outside over Sienna. Thanks a lot.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away......

There were bad Honda transmissions on V-6 vehicles....

That was 2000-2004....

Things have been fixed.....

Want Odyssey, you do?
Purchase it, you will.

The 2005-2006 Odyssey transmissions were also prone to early failure.

Honda also paired failure-prone transmissions with 4 cylinder engines, like on the 1998-200? Accord.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Honda also paired failure-prone transmissions with 4 cylinder engines, like on the 1998-2002 Accord.

The V6 Accords had the problematic transmissions. The 4 cylinders were fine.

Purchased a 2014 Odyssey (in sig below) and love it. Already have 30K on the odo and no issues. Go for it.

I think starting in 2012 or 2013 model years, all trim levels of the Odyssey came standard with the 6-speed auto. This trans is better than the 5-speed it replaces and far better than the 5-speed transmissions of the early 2000's that gave Honda the bad reputation.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

The 4-bangers were still prone to failure, but at less of a rate.

Source: My Accord's failed at 130K miles.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

Had you ever drained and filled with new ATF? if so at what mileage?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Had you ever drained and filled with new ATF? if so at what mileage?

Yep. Did a full 3X drain & fill at about 50K and single drain & fills every 30K miles afterwards using Honda ATF. Guess no amount of new fluid could make up for a [censored] transmission design.

Last edited:
You will know if 2015-2016 has transmission problem or not when the year 2022 rolls in! How many of newer Odyssey have got 150K miles on them before the transmission longevity can be determined?

Having said that, I did take a plunge and bought 2012 Honda V6 automatic vehicle myself. It was little bit leap of faith.

Honda V6 transmission problem in early '2000 was the prime example of no manufacture wants to have a known/early failure of any part, especially critical parts such as transmission and/or engine, because it will stay on with their vehicles for long long time. But, unfortunately nobody has perfect parts in every vehicle they produce, and all of them want to fix it as soon as they find out.

This, I think is opposite with many who think that manufactures design for warranty period only and after that any failure is customer problem. Reputation takes a long time to build and it can be destroyed in matter of months or few years.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

Tell that to my inlaws who had to do an accord AT at 28k miles, and then again around the same interval... 4cyl accord BTW. And the V6 camry in the same service still has its original at >100k miles...

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I think starting in 2012 or 2013 model years, all trim levels of the Odyssey came standard with the 6-speed auto. This trans is better than the 5-speed it replaces and far better than the 5-speed transmissions of the early 2000's that gave Honda the bad reputation.

I think it is 2014. I know that all models in 2014 have the 6-sp AT, and we have it in ours. Its a fine AT in terms of performance and shift quality...

per ODYclub, there is a TSB for 2014 ATs, but note it also applies to some 2015 ATs:

TSB 15-014 - Hard Downshift or Clunk When Slowing Down to a Rolling Stop
Applies To: 2014 Odyssey - ALL
2015 Odyssey - ALL - From VIN 5FNRL5...FB000001 thru 5FNRL5...FB070938
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A15-014.PDF

What are the failures or issues youre hearing about OP? I don't know that there have been mechanical changes in 2015 or 16, though anything is possible, and it does seems that there were some software changes per the TSB above.

V6 engines paired with Honda's Automatic have always been problematic. Some years are worse than others, but the common thread has always been V6+Automatic regardless of the model.

I felt that even the 5sp auto in my wife's old Fit tranny was seeming to be weaker that I would have liked wile climbing over the mountains. It got complete D&F every 30K.

Just be ready for the failure if you go with a Honda V6+auto. If you are keeping the vehicle for 5 years and then trading it in, less of a risk, greater risk if going for more than 5 years. I call it the Chrysler effect. You know it is going to break and you just prepare in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back