Rolled 300k km for the first time other day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been very busy, no real time to post, but I rolled the odo on the Tribute a couple of weeks ago over 300,000km.

I've rolled several vehicles over 200k km; but this is the first one that I've had go over 300k km. I did take pics, will try to post them at some point.

Honestly, given what it took ($$$) to get to this point, I'm not sure I will do it again. My 'usual' MO is to ditch cars around the 240k - 260k km mark when they start needing major repairs, but for this one, I spent the $$; but there was little 'return' on the investment.

Truck is VERY worn-out, and I'm just trying to squeeze 1 more year out of it until I can afford a newer one. It's gone next October no matter what; as it will not pass a mandatory emission test w/o over $2k of work (new exhaust and cats).

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Been very busy, no real time to post, but I rolled the odo on the Tribute a couple of weeks ago over 300,000km.

I've rolled several vehicles over 200k km; but this is the first one that I've had go over 300k km. I did take pics, will try to post them at some point.

Honestly, given what it took ($$$) to get to this point, I'm not sure I will do it again. My 'usual' MO is to ditch cars around the 240k - 260k km mark when they start needing major repairs, but for this one, I spent the $$; but there was little 'return' on the investment.

Truck is VERY worn-out, and I'm just trying to squeeze 1 more year out of it until I can afford a newer one. It's gone next October no matter what; as it will not pass a mandatory emission test w/o over $2k of work (new exhaust and cats).
I've got a Camry with 330 thousand MILES on it. Tune up parts, one water pump, and one set of alternator brushes, and the usual brake and exhaust parts, sensors, and one set of replacement struts. Even the CV joints are original.

Last edited:
Being from Canada I'd bet the rust on it is eating it alive! Bad enough on our Escape here in Kansas/Missouri. Think I can keep ours contained for another 10 years though. With 144k ours still runs, drive excellent and looks pretty good for 12 years old. The only major on ours is the timing cover leak..rust prevention!

I think for emissions you only have to spend $300? Anyways, I think they are going to an ECU emissions test now, so if you can keep the check engine light off, you might be OK.
Our 03 Tracker was getting near 300k km too and needed probably all the bushings on the links controlling the rear axle, and no AC was getting a little annoying. Fortunately my parents were trading in their 06 CRV and got low ball values for it(it has a few dents) so they just gave it to us.
I'm not sure a clean CRV of this era is quite worth the premium prices, but it is put together better than our Focus for sure and it has had very little replaced. Seemed to eat a few swaybar links, but it still has its original shocks, starter, alternator. Interior is still quite fresh too, the drivers seat is still in good shape, were as the Focus is starting to sag a little.
It does suck gas though, 26 hwy is all I get commuting and low 20s in general rural run around usage.
Anyways, you might be able to find one owner CRV's that are a little rough on the outside, but dealer serviced, for reasonable bucks.
That said, if you don't need AWD, the Focus wagon has a better shaped cargo area and drives nicer than the CRV, gets atleast 1/3 better mileage, but may nickel and dime you more.

I alway wonder when the best time to cut loose with an older vehicle. Before some serious $$$ repair is needed.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Congrats on the 300k km roll-over, but sorry to hear that your truck is VERY worn out and that it cost you a lot of $$$ to get it to where it is today.

I have an old Chev Venture (2001) that I use for towing and odd jobs (around the house or moving large things), and it has also rolled over 300,000 km a little while ago. However, my experience was pretty much great with this vehicle...

It was first purchased brand new by my dad's company, and given to him as a company vehicle (right from the dealer lot). He drove it for a number of years, and then bought it from the company and gave it to my mom. She drove it for another number of years, and then got a new (smaller) vehicle. I bought it from my parents for trailer towing, and have had it ever since. I can say (knocking on wood lol) that it has not caused us any great amount of trouble at all. Other than the known issues (GM 3.4 L intake manifold gaskets were done once at 120,000 km with updated parts), I have not really done much to it other than maintenance. I did upgrade some suspension components for towing (progressive springs in the rear and new shocks/struts all around), and added a tranny cooler. It also needed new front wheel bearings (one at a time over it's life), a fuel pump, and sway bar links once. That's really about it. Tires, brakes, fluid changes, and nothing much else to say. The original tranny shifts absolutely perfectly for a 15 year old vehicle, the engine runs and tows great, and the original A/C is still relatively cold!!!

BUT... The rust is getting the better of it now, so I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep it around for. It's not a daily driver (hasn't been for a few years now), so I'm not too concerned. I try not to use it much in the mid-to-late winter months when salt is at it's highest concentration. When it falls apart (body-wise), then I'll junk it. But it certainly won't go to the scrapyard because it doesn't work properly, and it's not costing anything to keep it driving safely for now.

I guess it's just luck sometimes... I have a friend who drives a lot that routinely puts 500,000 km plus on his cars within 8 years, and they still run relatively well. He doesn't really take good care of them either! His best record was a 1997 Chrysler Intrepid (Dodge for the US folk here) with the 3.5 L engine... He made it to 690,000 km before the tranny kicked the bucket and he junked the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back