Oil cooler benefit on daily driven non-abused car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2010 CVPI has an OEM oil cooler on it. The hoses on it are a known issue and with time/miles they will begin to seep and require replacement. For basically the same price of replacement I can just delete it and not have to worry about it. The car is not abused, tracked, raced and there is no extended idling.

Is there a real benefit to having an oil cooler on a daily driver? I don't believe it has a thermostat and the cooler is piped into the lower radiator hose.

A potential benefit is I can run the FL-820S size filter instead of the smaller FL-910S if I delete it.

Since it's in the rad hose and not a heater hose, no. If it were on the warmup side of the coolant thermostat it might warm the oil up faster but that's the opposite how it is now. And the civilian cars didn't have them. I like the delete idea but why are you getting ahead of yourself? Wait for the hoses to get worse.

I don't see a reason against eliminating it if you want to...millions of those engines on the streets without an oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
... Wait for the hoses to get worse.

Sorry man, I can't agree but then again I am proactive on maintenance items. IMO never wait for a hose to fail, it will likely leave you stranded.

The Later Cars 2006 up have better seals on the cooler hoses, dont take off the cooler dumb idea. I service alot of these cars, bullet proof.

For about 35.00 you can get the hoses from Amazon and replace them in about 20 minutes. If you are going to remove the oil cooler you need to replace the oil filter mount on the engine. Plugging the hose lines will force the oil through the bypass orifice and severely lower your oil volume to the engine. Personally Id leave them on the car, they definitely will help the engine last longer. The cooler you keep the engine the longer it lasts.

If you really want a bulletproof solution, get the pair of the hoses and have a local hydraulic shop redo them. More expensive, but you'll do this once. More research insights could be found on the crownvic site

If keeping it is the same price as deleting it, I'd just keep it. Mod motors are not exactly crying for an oil cooler, but it helps to keep the internals cooler and the film between parts more stable.

Originally Posted By: 03cvpi
For about 35.00 you can get the hoses from Amazon and replace them in about 20 minutes. If you are going to remove the oil cooler you need to replace the oil filter mount on the engine. Plugging the hose lines will force the oil through the bypass orifice and severely lower your oil volume to the engine. Personally Id leave them on the car, they definitely will help the engine last longer. The cooler you keep the engine the longer it lasts.

My car does not have that style of cooler. This is the 2nd motor in the car and when Ford replaced it they just used a sandwich plate on the oil filter mount. All I have to do is remove the plate and buy a new lower radiator hose.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I'm sure the manufacturer put it there for a reason...

Yep, they were anticipating high temps due to high speed, extended idling, and general abuse during police duty. All things the car does not see in my ownership.

You could also leave them alone for now.

If you have a problem and you have to replace the lines, then I would consider deleting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back