Android - Tap & Go Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it were me i would manually copy my contacts or use google contacts and any pictures, otherwise you risk a lot of incompatibility doing hard copies from one to another, especially copying programs
i have rooted all of my phones over the last 8 years
HTC 4G LTE
HTC EVO 3D
HTC ONE M7
HTC ONE M9 currently running ViperOneM9 3.5.0

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
if it were me i would manually copy my contacts or use google contacts and any pictures, otherwise you risk a lot of incompatibility doing hard copies from one to another, especially copying programs
i have rooted all of my phones over the last 8 years
HTC 4G LTE
HTC EVO 3D
HTC ONE M7
HTC ONE M9 currently running ViperOneM9 3.5.0

But this is "the" proper method to move stuff from one phone to another. I am hoping using the proper method would not result in incompatibility issues.

I have not used Tap and Go, but I have used the apps restore off Lollipop when you reset your phone and login in during setup. That is VERY slick. It restores apps / apps data / home screen icons layout, but it does not restore local phone contacts / phone calls / SMS. It restores all apps, but not ALL app data. That maybe a limitation forced by an app, not Android. The sad part is you won't know until you have to restore. Fortunately most of those apps sync online.

As Brybo86 has mentioned, it's best of backup yourself. For local phone contacts I just use the built in import/export. You can also sync your contacts to Google online and delete it from Google after syncing. For phone call history, text only SMS you can use ClockWorkMod's Helium. For SMS with pictures, I use SMS Backup and Restore.

Yes, it's a hassle compared to Apple. As much as I don't like Apple, their PC iTunes backup/restore is unmatched, it's not perfect, but I always find their system quite a role model for backup/restore for 90% of people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back