The Safest, Used Mid Sized (Used) Car Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
The safest used car you can buy is an armoured car, probably retired from VIP or celebrity use.

I doubt it. They compromise original integrity of vehicle to put armour in which serves a purpose of deflecting bullets or explosions not impacts. My guess is the armour is dangerous once hit hard enough.

Would like to fall into a pillow or pillow containing armour in it?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The safest used car you can buy is an armoured car, probably retired from VIP or celebrity use.

I doubt it. They compromise original integrity of vehicle to put armour in which serves a purpose of deflecting bullets or explosions not impacts. My guess is the armour is dangerous once hit hard enough.

If I was seatbelted into my own armoured pillow I wouldn't care what it landed on.

If you're going to get t-boned by a bus, would you rather be in a geo-metro or a bomb-proof range rover?

You know the difference between a Range Rover and a Metro with respect to crashworthiness is about more than how thick the skin is, right?

Right. I know.
But don't dodge the question, which one would you prefer to get T-boned in?

The Range Rover, for reasons that are irrelevant to the point you seemed to be making.

The pont I'm makings that armoured cars are safer an their non armoured counterpart.

The OP wants the safest vehicle available, an armoured Range Rover for 23k seems like a very good deal.

"Armored" primarily means tougher outer panels and glass. Crashworthiness is about the underlying structure; the outer panels contribute virtually nothing, and modern auto glass does just fine.

Originally Posted By: KenO
2005-up BMW's 7 Mercedes. Along with a Tesla Model S.

Cost-no-object, the Model S is probably the safest car overall in existence. Best possible passive safety, plus solid active safety (i.e. it can turn and stop). Don't think any other vehicle on the road comes close to that combo.

Armoured cars are only safer against bullets and rockets not crashes. Plus they are heavy and generally not user friendly to live with.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

If I was seatbelted into my own armoured pillow I wouldn't care what it landed on.

If you're going to get t-boned by a bus, would you rather be in a geo-metro or a bomb-proof range rover?

Which ever vehicle absorbed the crash energy better. Both seem like garbage choices irrelevant to the thread given Geo Metro has not been redesigned since 1990's and Range Rover means modern to old. Neither are midsize sedans.

The "bomb proofing" some wingnuts weld on might actually become your demise when that is introduced to the cabin.

Forget the Range Rover, it wont stay running long enough to every worry about getting into a wreck. Those old Volvo 850's seem to be pretty durable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back