PAO on the Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Quote:
Tightening emissions regulations and fuel economy standards are driving demand for high performance automotive lubricants. Brad Rinderknecht, from ExxonMobil Chemical Synthetics, talks to Insight about the availability of low viscosity PAO base stocks, which are well suited to these advanced formulations.

Quote:
"Over the past couple of years we have seen a shift from 6-centistoke to 4-centistoke viscosity demand, and that transition has been enabled by an increased market penetration of low viscosity oils, like the SAE 0W-type products that are coming into the marketplace. ExxonMobil has a 3.6-centistoke PAO with good NOACK volatility characteristics, which is taking hold, primarily in some of our Japanese markets, with some of the SAE 0W products that are now being offered.”

Couldn't you achieve similarly low Noack levels with GTL? XOM will use PAO, because that's what they have. More than one way to skin the cat.

Just 2 questions for consumers and the future cost of lube:

If the increased demand of PAO base stock creates a shortage of supply, what will happen to the price of non-petroleum based lubricants?

If the law requires only the use of PAO base stock for lube, will conventional lube still be available for sale?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Couldn't you achieve similarly low Noack levels with GTL? XOM will use PAO, because that's what they have. More than one way to skin the cat.

Possibly, but I don't think the NOACK is as good as PAO. Especially the high end PAO's.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
What about XOM's Group III+ product: VISOM ?

confused2.gif

Thanks for sharing, Buster.

From the link:
'...Decene, which has been the feedstock of choice for PAO since the early 1970s,'

If we see this in the CAS/MSDS list of ingredients, is it safe to assume...PAO?

Originally Posted By: mongo161
If the law requires only the use of PAO base stock for lube, will conventional lube still be available for sale?

I would suggest your own statement is self-explanatory.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: mongo161

I would suggest your own statement is self-explanatory.

Can you say...GREAT CLEARANCE PRICES?
wink.gif

We could be headed for vehicles that have a 100K warranty and will require no maintenance under reasonable conditions for that period, no checking engine oil, transmission fluid or coolant levers, no oil changes, no tire checking or replacements, no brake checking or maintenance, nothing. If something happens the vehicle will notify the manufacturer and the vehicle owner/driver that an appointment will be necessary for service with a note declaring the urgency involved.

The required engine oil and other fluids will probably be specified with no viscosity or other information at all so that people will stop second guessing the manufacturer.

This is technically possible and could happen. A lot of people would welcome such a system. Some people are doing the no maintenance and checking already.

Hopefully plug-in electrics will go mainstream before that. Plug-in electric is the future. The internal combustion piston engine is 19th Century technology at the base level-- borne of re-thinking the steam engine. When battery technology gets to the point of practical charge times and capacity then plug-in electrics take off.

Hopefully plug-in electrics will go mainstream before that. Plug-in electric is the future. The internal combustion piston engine is 19th Century technology at the base level-- borne of re-thinking the steam engine. When battery technology gets to the point of practical charge times and capacity then plug-in electrics take off.

By that metric, the same applies to the electric car, since they first appeared on scene in the 1880's.

Turbines are also "old" technology.

What is your plan for replacing those smoke belching 18+ wheeled trucks that get less than 10MPG and drive millions of miles?

Amazon delivery drones of course !! LoL.

I like internal combustion engines just fine, but they are ridiculously inefficient from a thermo-dynamics standpoint.

Move as much freight by rail as possible also helps. Diesel-electric locomotives pulling a but load of tonnage rolling steel on steel is about the most efficient freight system we have. Off the top of my head.

Amazon delivery drones of course !! LoL.

I like internal combustion engines just fine, but they are ridiculously inefficient from a thermo-dynamics standpoint.

Yeah, but I think the same can be said for gas turbines.

Move as much freight by rail as possible also helps. Diesel-electric locomotives pulling a but load of tonnage rolling steel on steel is about the most efficient freight system we have. Off the top of my head.

I agree (and posted about this before) but much of the existing (and convenient) rail infrastructure was ripped up with the JIT delivery stuff started happening and we began trucking everything.

The immediate switch to electric cars is still just trading one form of pollution for another at this point. No new nukes on the horizon for you guys and the increase in demand on the grid would be huge. Much of the current power being generated is still "dirty". And then there's the dirty aspect to the "green" energy being peddled as a solution.

And of course we still have to deal with the trucks unless we want to re-invest in rail.

Technically you could probably do electric high speed rail for a lot of things if the investment was made in energy (like Nuclear). But I don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back