2003 Dodge Caravan TCM issues P0888, P1698, P0700

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. My TCM has been replaced twice under 85,000, Again my van is getting error codes (P0888, P1698, P0700) pointing at the TCM. My dash gear selection’s are all boxed in green.

Sometimes the Engine light comes on, then goes off after placing the van in Drive and start rolling forward the greens squares go to normal (only D is boxed). The Engine light goes off after a re-start, if the gear selections don’t all go gen boxes.

Sometimes just banging on where the relay box, the van transmission will go back and be ok again. (perhaps just luck)

I have taken my van to two places and nobody can either get the van to go into Safe mode to get the cods, or then figure out what to fix when/if the cods come up. I have not gone back to the dealer as they only want to charge me for another expensive TCM. I have had the relay box pulled, cleaned and tested as we thought there might be corrosion, no luck.

I think the issue could be a relay a my Engine light coming on (Safe mode) come and go. I have looked around but I haven’t seen any issues like mine. I am physically disabled and use a power wheelchair in my lowered floor van. Finding aa solution is a need for me to go to/from work.

Any thought would be great. Thx for reading.

Mike

Last edited:
First,buy DeOxit and spray the contacts inside the Power Distribution box where the shift relay plugs in.Maybe even switch that relay with a different one next to it (they are the same).Then add a ground wire to the transmission case to the battery negative or chassis ground.If it still does it you might have a wiring issue.Models without driving lights have the wiring bunched up right behind the "driving light" opening in the bumper cover.A thrown rock can break a wire.

Reactions: JC1
Thx, I will give it a try.

Do I pull out the relays to spray the DeOxit around? Im guessing the Red DeOxit can?

Sorry to sound dumb, but which relays can i switch around? any that look alike?) Which one is the Shift relay?

Mike

Last edited:
It will say on the lid of the box.I believe its one of the narrow relays.You spray the metal contacts in the box itself.Seems it doesn't take much corrosion (film) to make the relay work spotty.Happened to me with that and the starter relay.

thx for the idea.

I got a can of DeOxit from my neighbor gearhead, he gave the relays/etc contacts inside the Power Distribution box a good spray. We also switched two (maybe three) relays around.

The van seemed Ok until we returned. Same issues, green boxes around all gear letters/numbers and van was again in Safe mode.

Any other thouthful suggestions.

thx...

Mike

The error codes I am seeing are:

P0700¬ EATX Controller DTC Present
P0888- TCM Power Relay Sensore Circuit
P1698¬ No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM/PCM

Any other ideas out there? thx ;-)

Mike, here is some troubleshooting for the P0888

Quote:
1. Remove the transmission relay.

2. Jumper terminals 30 and 87 and check for B+ on pins 16, 17 at the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

3. On terminal 86 of the relay, use a test light to check for B+ for 1-2 seconds at key on. The TCM should send voltage out briefly with the relay out.

4. If not, check on the Yellow/Brown wire at pin 15.

5. If no voltage at pin 15 for 1-2 seconds at key on, the TCM is likely faulty.

Also some diag material for the P1698

Quote:
1. Check the power supply to the TCM on pins 11 and 56.

2. Check the grounds on pins 53 and 57.

3. Check the connector for damage.

4. Check the Programmable Communication Interface (PCI) bus wire. Scope the wire with the TCM connector unplugged. It should have 0-7.5 volt signal coming from the other modules if the wire is good.

Quote:
1. Check the power supply to the TCM on pins 11 and 56.

2. Check the grounds on pins 53 and 57.

3. Check the connector for damage.

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan that's not getting a ground signal to the transmission relay in the tipm my transmission control module has power supply and ground Supply

The ground for the TCM relay originates at the Battery, But you state the ground at the TCM are good which also gets it's ground from the Battery (Terminal)

Check for a good ground on/at Cavity #1, Black & Orange wire of Connector C3 at the TIPM, If you have a good ground there & the Terminal/Pin are good.....Suspect a TIPM issue.

If no ground is present at the TIPM......Go straight for the Splice (S111) & check for broken wires.

TIPM failures & Broken wires at gang splices are common of Chrysler vehicles of the era.

HAVGe4E.png

Back