Australians and NZer's NULON 5w-30 FUll Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here had any experience of using Nulon full syn "long life" 5w-30?
Suprisingly cheap for what it is. Even at retail price, its cheaper than the penrite thats on special!
Also interesting to see that is Dexos approved for GM/Holden Vehicles, which is rather difficult to find on the SCA shelves here in New Zealand.

I don't like the name, I'd rather use the Chief oil from Supercheap because of the cool container. All the specs stack up on the Nulon, I'm just not inclined to go for it.

To be honest I've never ever used a product of Nulon. They're usually priced the same as the international giants (castrol/valvoline) so I go for them instead

Chief oil seems pretty good option. Good pricing however I've only used their 1l bottle for topup (the canteen looking bottle looks amazn)

However I must not that on their spec sheets it says something along the lines of "approval pending/not requested" which kinda makes me feel skeptical about using it in my car.

I've also used the Synthetic ATF for the Power Steering flush. Good fluid at excellent price.

I agree, the full synthetic Nulon 5W30 and 0W40 oils look good, but I have never used them.

If the price was right, I would give it a go.

If I'm feeling rich, I tend to buy Castrol or Penrite.
If I'm a little short, I tend to buy Shell Helix or Valvoline SynPower.

I haven't used their Long Life 5W-30 Synthetic but I have used their 5W-30 Euro Synthetic and I'm very happy with it. I'll definitely use it again. In fact, I bought another 2 oil changes worth before the new "VW approved" product minus the moly reached the shelves. The new 5W-30 European oil specs look identical to the previous "meets and exceeds" but is now approved by VW for 504.00 and 507.00, minus the moly. They now have a new 5W-30 Fuel Efficient synthetic oil which contains moly, but doesn't claim to meet many useful specifications. It may not have reached the stores yet.

The Euro 5W-30 is one of the few Group IV oils easily available on the market. It reduced the engine noise in my Ssangyong Stavic on startup and general driving, especially on cold winter mornings. I may do a UOA on it if I can be bothered.

If you're after a cheap Dexos-approved synthetic oil, go to www.kixxaustralia.com.au and have a look at their G1 Dexos oil. $22.99 for 4 litres. But 2 litres for about $72 including postage, or save some $27 if you're in Sydney by picking it up.

Last edited:
I haven't looked into this oil too much. But by long life, what is their recommended OCI?
I wouldn't let anything go over 10,000km regardless.

Originally Posted By: 268i
I haven't looked into this oil too much. But by long life, what is their recommended OCI?

It depends on who you ask, what you drive and how you drive it, but off the top of my head Long Life is something like 2 years and 30,000 km. As opposed to more typical values of 1 year and 15,000 km.

That's not a Nulon recommendation on an oil change for a commodore, it's a manufacturer specific requirement.

Those manufacturers have long, long OCIs (like 35,000km), and monitors that count down depending on how the vehicle is used/abused...1km warmed up on the highway is 1km used, a trip to the fish and chip shop could use a handful of KM.

An oil that meets those OEM's specs carries their LL approvals, and as I said, it's not a recommendation for a 35,000km OCI in a commodore delivering pizzas.

My wife's Yaris is 10000km/6 months on regular oil (non-specific) according to Toyota. I figure a good synthetic oil can go double. If my previous VW Golf TDi could do 15000km/12months, I can't see why a Yaris, which is not a particularly advanced car, couldn't do at least that with synthetic oil. I do 12 months with it, but because it's driven so little it barely gets 10000km in that period.

I would not trust that a GF-5 synthetic lube will automatically get significantly longer mileage than a conventional lube here in Aus. Maybe it's the driving we/I do but I've run synthetic Penrite GF-5 dexos 1 in my Toyota and the TBN was 2.1 after 9000k. On Mobil Super GF-5 it was 1.7 after 8000km. I'm currently on Magnatec 5w30 @ 5000km. If the UOA comes back similar I'm going to switch to a Euro oil.

I'm not a fan of Nulon but I'd probably use their dexos 1 if it were cheap. It is one of the few approved products they have and not one of their own special moly/ptfe improved products.

Last edited:
I always used Nulon Long Life 5w30 in our recently traded Mazda CX9, changed every 10,000km. Had no issues whatsoever, would use it again no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back