Calcium 2309
Barium Phosphorus 754
Zinc 832
Molybdenum 81
Boron 363

Water Coolant No
Viscosity CST 100c 9.8
Base Number 7.5

This analysis was done by NAPA lab. I was impressed with the solid amount of calcium and boron. Let the comments roll.

Castrol seems to be changing the formulas a lot. Blackstone labs commented in a recent UOA that Castrol was changing formulations a lot.

Originally Posted By: Falken
With 7ppm Titanium... Does that even help??

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. I was MUCH more impressed with the VOA's of the old Syntec formula.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. I was MUCH more impressed with the VOA's of the old Syntec formula.

I thought the same thing. If you want an oil will a good load of TI Kendall is where it's at.

Me too.

Originally Posted By: wemay
It's just a VOA folks, doesn't mean much.
Yes it does.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: wemay
It's just a VOA folks, doesn't mean much.
Yes it does.

Not when you can't see all the ingredients. It's just a partial list of what goes into an oil. Most of the formulation is "proprietory". Valvoline, for instance, has long been a victim of the VOA fan club yet performs very well in UOA. Royal Purple and other high Sodium brands as well. VOAs are interesting to look at but taken to seriously.

The viscosity puts this oil into the 30 grade range. It's not just a "heavy" 20, but literally a 30. Are there any misprints?

Regarding the titatanium...both the old PU and the current PUP have 2 PPM of titanium (going from memory) so even a little bit must contribute to the overall package.

There's a little potassium and sodium showing in this VOA. That is good to know when watching for coolant intrusion in a follow up UOA.

Just wonder if there's a misprint in the thread title or the viscosity at 100C (?).

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
VOA's are mostly advantageous for UOA's.

Exactly!

Good thing we have a VOA of this oil, otherwise I'd tend to think a UOA involving this oil indicated the beginning of an internal coolant leak, with the sodium and potassium additives...

Woops, I now noticed dustyroads beat me to this observation...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I thought the same thing. If you want an oil will a good load of TI Kendall is where it's at.

Yep, Kendall has 10 times as much Titanium, yet here we see Castrol still advertising it on their labels. Its an anti-wear thing from Afton Chemical to replace some of the ZDDP . Sorry to see it fading away from Castrol Edge products (next year there will be 1 ppm if trends continue!)

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
The viscosity puts this oil into the 30 grade range. It's not just a "heavy" 20, but literally a 30. Are there any misprints?

Regarding the titatanium...both the old PU and the current PUP have 2 PPM of titanium (going from memory) so even a little bit must contribute to the overall package.

There's a little potassium and sodium showing in this VOA. That is good to know when watching for coolant intrusion in a follow up UOA.

Just wonder if there's a misprint in the thread title or the viscosity at 100C (?).

It is not a misprint on my behalf. If it is a misprint then it is on NAPA.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

It is not a misprint on my behalf. If it is a misprint then it is on NAPA.

Ok, thanks for the reply and thanks for sending in a sample.

I thought about it a bit, and this Site sure has its Castrol lovers.

It should be an outrage against Castrol to say "With Titanium" and be found to only use 7ppm.

People come to this site to learn truths about good and bad oils, and I believe Castrol is operating in bad faith to add 7ppm of Titanium just to slap it on the label.

No, Castrol may be a site Sponsor, but we are sure taking the filter manufacturers to task over tears.

Also, we sure gave Mobil 1 a hard time over high FE wear, and they must have been reading this site because Mobil UOAs now are great.

I say this: Castrol, add a meaningful amount of Titanium in your product if it is advertised predominantly on the label.

I guess at 7ppm it ISN'T false advertising... But come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back