New Ride - 2015 F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up my first new ride since 1997. I bought a 2015 F-150 Lariat 5.0 V8. It is the only engine family that calls for 5-20 as the remaining V6 power plants call for 5-30. So far (it's been 100 miles) I am thrilled.

I wonder how the electronic (no fluid) power steering will work out long run. I'm probably going to dump the FF engine oil at 3k and do an analysis. Something similar with the trans, front/rear diff and transfer case to get rid of the wear metals.

Anyone have info on the oil life monitor used in the 2015 year? I'm very interested to see how the OLM works.

Some advice needed: It has 200 miles on it and I am going to take it on a 700 mile trip (mostly highway) in a few days. Any break in concerns?

Nice Truck! 5.0 Lariat is exactly what i want to get someday when i have too much money burning a hole in my pocket.

I think the break in will be fine, and if your really worried you can vary your speed up and down slightly.

Great truck and good plan....the only thing I disagree with is doing analysis on FF oil...it's a waste of money. Wait until after 10K before doing a UOA ..

Ford has been using the electronic steering for a couple years now in a lot of models. I'm sure it has issues on occasion but I haven't seen a huge number of the various forums...yet. Almost 70k on my '11 with no problems.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I just picked up my first new ride since 1997. I bought a 2015 F-150 Lariat 5.0 V8. It is the only engine family that calls for 5-20 as the remaining V6 power plants call for 5-30. So far (it's been 100 miles) I am thrilled.

I wonder how the electronic (no fluid) power steering will work out long run. I'm probably going to dump the FF engine oil at 3k and do an analysis. Something similar with the trans, front/rear diff and transfer case to get rid of the wear metals.

Anyone have info on the oil life monitor used in the 2015 year? I'm very interested to see how the OLM works.

Some advice needed: It has 200 miles on it and I am going to take it on a 700 mile trip (mostly highway) in a few days. Any break in concerns?
urs is prob diff than my mine. In the manuel of my new 15 malibu is says 4 the break in period not 2 drive at a constant speed 4 the first 500 miles.

All that needs to break in is seating the rings, which im sure has already happened.
The epas is very reliable on the 150's

I just updated the sig. Thanks for the reminder. I plan on using M1 0-20 and Fram Ultra after the FF. I'll start with a 5k and move on up after I see what the analysis comes back as.

Thank you for the advice on the FF analysis, you are right to say it is not very informative in the scheme of things.

I drove a 14 5.0 V-8 and the 15 version is, IMHO a big difference. I can't say much more yet as I don't have enough miles on it to back up any statements. I do like it and find it to handle extremely well. Much more car like than truck like. A lot more room in the engine compartment than I ever expected. No trans dip stick is a PITA. Eventually I'll put a PML on it and just drain and fill at will so to speak. So not to worried about that (a lot easier than the BMW 328X to get to).

Great truck and great engine, congratulations!
thumbsup2.gif

What are the power ratings on the 2015 5.0? Added power and a big diet should make a pretty quick truck.

I absolutely love the looks of the 2015 Ford

I would vary your speed and engine load during the course of your trip. Also, no towing heavy loads and be easy on the brakes.

Awesome truck!

Originally Posted By: hatt
What are the power ratings on the 2015 5.0? Added power and a big diet should make a pretty quick truck.

The 2105 5.0 V8 is 384hp.

IMO the best powertrain in the Fords these days.

IME a strong break in is critical, use your own best judgement. Modern engines don't need much, they run great right out of the box.

I'd love if you wouldn't mind posting the curb weight of that combo for us!

Congratulations on it! I am in full agreement with changing the FF early--though there is no evidence either way to benefits/detriments.

Post some photos, sounds nice.

I have had a few cars with electric power steering and no issues.

But then again, I never had a power steering pump leak so that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back