Any UOAs same vehicle same brand different grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has done or seen UOAs for the same vehicle where the oil was exactly the same except for the grade, eg 5w20 vs 5w30?

I'm curious if there were any marked differences.

I did two on my car back to back,M1 10W40HM and RP 20W50 (Synerlec version). RP oci was slightly longer and driven much harder. The M1 uoa only showed a ppm or 2 increase in wear metals. They were so close I concluded that as long as my car has oil in it,it'll last forever (well,almost forever haha).

All if this makes me wish for a copy of Blackstone's database!

In reality a hot shot programmer could do a lot with the BITOG selection of HOW's. Too bad BITOG doesn't have a database we all could enter our UOA's into to post.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I did two on my car back to back,M1 10W40HM and RP 20W50 (Synerlec version). RP oci was slightly longer and driven much harder. The M1 uoa only showed a ppm or 2 increase in wear metals. They were so close I concluded that as long as my car has oil in it,it'll last forever (well,almost forever haha).

I think what the OP was asking was if both OCIs were the same brand. So, say in this case if OCI #2 had been M1 HM 5w-30 instead of 10w-40.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
All if this makes me wish for a copy of Blackstone's database!

In reality a hot shot programmer could do a lot with the BITOG selection of HOW's. Too bad BITOG doesn't have a database we all could enter our UOA's into to post.

I could put together an external site/form/database where people could enter their UOA info to track

Probably not exactly what you wanted, but the first was NAPA synthetic 5w20 second was trop artic syn blend 5w30. OCI was longer on the full synthetic.

Best of luck with your project. Click here

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yes as noted, I was interested in the same brand, same car, just grade change.

We often hear that a xw20 and a xw30 are only different based on the amount of VII's and I wanted to see what that might actually mean in the real world.

Maybe 2010_FX4 will get around to running M1 xw30 one day.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Thanks.

Yes as noted, I was interested in the same brand, same car, just grade change.

We often hear that a xw20 and a xw30 are only different based on the amount of VII's and I wanted to see what that might actually mean in the real world.

Maybe 2010_FX4 will get around to running M1 xw30 one day.

Well I've run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PurePlus in 5w-20 then switched up to 10w-30 in my tC. Both performed well and the only difference I noticed was less oil consumption with the 10w-30. Unfortunately I didn't get UOAs on either. I'm about to get one for my current OCI though.

Some of this is going to depend upon the equipment being viewed.

Some engines seem to be sensitive to grades, such as the TDIs, the old 5.7L Chevy and a few others. That does not mean that only one grade is acceptable, but it does show a preference, but probably only to a unique engine and more likely specific to certain years of origin due to engineering and material changes.

Other engines seem to be immune to grade changes, like the mod-motor Fords and Duramax (of which I have both). I have run UOAs on the Dmax with 10w-30 and 15w-40; no change whatsoever outside even one std dev. I am currently running trials with filtration as a variable on my two MGM 4.6L engines. When done with that, I might play with grades just to prove the point there as well ...

Read my "normalcy" article; there is a lot of good info in there.

Last edited:
I know there are multiple same Jeep 4.0's on here run with PYB 5w30 and 10w30 but you'll have to dig for them I don't have them bookmarked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back