Correct Oil to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello greetings from Caracas Venezuela ,
I’ve some doubts about the correct oil to use in my Chinese Scooter 250 ( Engine type Yamaha YP250 1P69MM- made by Engine Chinese Scooter Jinlang, liquid cooled), so the scooter manual says that the oil have to be 4T SAE 20W50 API – SH, okey I’ve had doing oil changes with Mineral oil ( dyno ) 20w50, from break in at 162 km( 100 mi ), 428km( 265 mi ), 533km ( 331 mi ), 1066Km ( 662 mi ), 1766km ( 1097 mi ), 2828km ( 1757 mi ), 4050km ( 2516 mi ), 4998km ( 3105 mi ), so I try to change every 1000km aprox., in this moment counter 5495km ( 3414 mi ), so I think 20W50 oil is a little thick for my new bike and vibration level is a lot, although I’ve made some adjustments tightening screws and nuts, now I’m considering to change to blend synthetic oil 10w-40 4T ( Valvoline, Castrol, Shell, etc.. ), the temperature in my city ( Caracas ) is always warm ( 25 - 33 Celsius ), Is a safe move to change viscosity and oil type in these Chinese scooter ?
What do you think about this ?

Thank you for your opinions
wink.gif

Last edited:
I'd go with a stout 15w40.
Most 50 weights sheer to 40 quickly. If a well known 40 weight seemed thin then I'd shop around for a boutique 50 weight that was known to withstand sheer.

Last edited:
Thank you!.
In my country 15w40 4T is only Dino and sometimes are difficult to find for bikes, 15w50 blend is more easy to find.

10-40, either dino or synthetic, is what is used in nearly all scooters in the USA from 250 on up thru 650cc in all climates. I've used that in 3 different 250cc Honda Helix's over the years, as well as in several Suzuki's 400's and a couple of 650's.

Valvoline makes a good synthetic that would work in your bike.

Are you able to buy Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T oil in Venezuela? It is available in 10W40, 20W40, and 20W50. It is a synthetic blend and is JASO MA2 compliant for 4T applications.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Are you able to buy Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T oil in Venezuela? It is available in 10W40, 20W40, and 20W50. It is a synthetic blend and is JASO MA2 compliant for 4T applications.

Thank you,
Yes I've seen Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T is available in 20w50 synthetic blend only, here is more common to find 20w50 Dyno 4T in national brands ( Venoco, UltraLub, Oilven, etc.. )

+1, or try to find a Valvoline Motorcycle oil. I know being in South America the products are very different. You should have access to Diesel 15w40's, those could be an option for you as well.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

+1, or try to find a Valvoline Motorcycle oil. I know being in South America the products are very different. You should have access to Diesel 15w40's, those could be an option for you as well.

I've read a lot of people in several forums using the same Shell Rotella 15w40 for their cars and motorcycles
cool.gif
, Do you think I Could user this Oil for a 250cc Chinese Scooter ?, here in Venezuela one could find this Oil for trucks.

Absolutely! If you have access to Shell Rotella 15w40 or Rotella T6 5w40 use them. Both are JASO-MA certified for motorcycles.

In your climate I would use the 15W40 as it is much cheaper to purchase. Good Luck!

A mineral HDEO 15W-40 like Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Castrol RX Super, Delo, etc.

Just make sure it is dual rated (petrol and diesel) so it should be API Sx (like SL) then it is suitable for your bike.

Have Fun

Thank you for all your responses.
I'll give a try to Shell TP 15w40, given that my scooter engine is separated from transmission ( gear oil 80w-90 ). Now I'm wondering for my Ford Fusion 2008 SEL 3.0L V6, always use pricey 10w30 blend synthetic ( Shell helix ) , this TP could be a choice
cool.gif

15w40 will be a little thick for your car. I'd stick with a 10w30 in that one personally.

Since your bikes engine and transmission are not shared you can run whatever oil you want in the engine side, it doesn't need to be motorcycle specific. A 40 or 50wt would be great.

Since it is always warm where you live, TP would be a great choice for your Ford, too, if it meets the requirements in the owners manual.
2008 would be... API SM, I think?

You trusted the maker of your bike to give you good service when you bought it, so trust them when they tell you what oil to use, they know better then you or anyone in here.

Stick with the 20/50 in any blend you want, of course, 15/50 is fine too.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
You trusted the maker of your bike to give you good service when you bought it, so trust them when they tell you what oil to use, they know better then you or anyone in here.

Thank you, you're right, they know better this engine that anyone, but is important also to read another suggestions
smile.gif

Hi Donny, My Fusion '08 has about 80000 Km ( 49700 Miles ), without real problems until now, I've only change breaks pads, tires and batteries , I made change oil every 5000 Km.
For my bikes maybe in the future may I try some blend synthetic 15w50, but for now I'll be changing regularly 20w50 4T Dyno that I have in my small inventory .

Bye!

Originally Posted By: RockZero
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Thank you, you're right, they know better this engine that anyone, but is important also to read another suggestions
smile.gif

To me it depends on the quality of the 20W50 oil you have access to. If it's old SG stuff (or the like) I would prefer to us the Shell Rotella T, it's rated API CJ-4 / CI-4 / SM. The shell Rotella is a modern high quality oil.

I say this, because I hear in north America, just about every oil sold is a modern SN rated oil. But in other parts of the world you can still buy older SG/SH only rated oils. In Australia, most of the 10W30, 15W40 etc oils are SM/SN, but some of the 20W50 oils are still SG/SH/SJ rated.

To me, it's easy to buy a bad 20W50 oil but hard to buy a bad 15W40 oil (most 15W40s here are very good).
If in doubt, go the 15W40 HDEO Shell RT, you know it will be a good product.

Originally Posted By: SR5
To me it depends on the quality of the 20W50 oil you have access to. If it's old SG stuff (or the like) I would prefer to us the Shell Rotella T, it's rated API CJ-4 / CI-4 / SM. The shell Rotella is a modern high quality oil.

I say this, because I hear in north America, just about every oil sold is a modern SN rated oil. But in other parts of the world you can still buy older SG/SH only rated oils. In Australia, most of the 10W30, 15W40 etc oils are SM/SN, but some of the 20W50 oils are still SG/SH/SJ rated.

To me, it's easy to buy a bad 20W50 oil but hard to buy a bad 15W40 oil (most 15W40s here are very good).
If in doubt, go the 15W40 HDEO Shell RT, you know it will be a good product.

The oil that still I have is 20w50 API SL, and almost all the oils that one could find here are API SL/SM ( 10w-40 / 20w-50 ). Indeed HDEO used in Motorcycles is a new concept to me that I'm learning
coffee2.gif
coffee2.gif
, so now near my office are selling " Guardol ETC, DIESEL ENGINE OIL SAE 15W-40 - API CJ4 / SM ", made by phillips66, Do you think this HDEO could be a used for bikes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back