All-New 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: wemay
With all its driving dynamics issues...Hyundai/KIA just keeps chugging along.

McDonald's has a huge market share, that doesn't mean it's good.

Exactly, they still trade heavily on their supposedly great power train and B2B warranty, but wait until you need to actually use it. They will do everything they can to get out of honoring it in many cases, there are many cases of this posted all over the internet car forums.

I have 3 Hyundais within my immediate family and the warranties have always been honored without issue. We do all maintenance ourself and have never been asked to prove anything.

Every car manufacturer has angry owners who have warranty claims denied.....

Originally Posted By: dja4260

Exactly, they still trade heavily on their supposedly great power train and B2B warranty, but wait until you need to actually use it. They will do everything they can to get out of honoring it in many cases, there are many cases of this posted all over the internet car forums.

I have 3 Hyundais within my immediate family and the warranties have always been honored without issue. We do all maintenance ourself and have never been asked to prove anything.

Every car manufacturer has angry owners who have warranty claims denied.....

+1

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The best thing about Hyundai/KIA is they are NOT Japanese.
grin2.gif

I'd say the best thing is , they are not union built. That was one of the factors in my decision, that and my elantra is not GDI.

Actually if you buy a Kia or Hyundai built in Korea, they ARE built by Union workers.

That's OK, don't support us Spasm. As a former union member and union supporter, all I can say is unions are the only thing a working man has to protect himself from unfair treatment, etc. I shouldn't even have to explain this. By buying a Korean product all you're doing is cheating yourself and sending money overseas anyways. Shouldn't have to explain that either. Hope you don't have to use that warranty.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Hope you don't have to use that warranty.

Service from my 13 elantra has been good. Really only one issue, an o2 sensor that took out the catalytic converter.
Both replaced under warranty, with appointments and no problems or hassles of any kind.

Last edited:

You can't dim the radio light? Both my Hyundai's have the dimming switch to the left of the steering wheel.

I will have to check, its my wifes car. I don't drive it often, maybe its there and i don't know it. It won't help it it dims all the lights, i just want the radio display dimmed, but i'll check.

You can't dim the radio light? Both my Hyundai's have the dimming switch to the left of the steering wheel.

I will have to check, its my wifes car. I don't drive it often, maybe its there and i don't know it. It won't help it it dims all the lights, i just want the radio display dimmed, but i'll check.

Ok, that makes a difference then. My dimmer is for all the lights - dash, radio, instrument cluster etc.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Hope you don't have to use that warranty.

Service from my 13 elantra has been good. Really only one issue, an o2 sensor that took out the catalytic converter.
Both replaced under warranty, with appointments and no problems or hassles of any kind.

Good luck.

I always read about the absolute abhorrent ride and handling quality of current Hyundai/Kia autos, but I think its just mass loudness of people resonating off each other.

When my 2010 Mazda 3 was in the body shop for 6 days for a parking lot fender bender repair I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra (base model). This was going from the class act of chassis dynamics to the supposed lowest of the low on the chassis dynamics ladder.

While I agree the steering wheel felt like a game controller and some harsh bumps would resonate pretty poorly through the chassis, the car was 95% agreeable when it came to the ride and handling. I HIGHLY doubt anyone who is in their target market would ever notice or care about these minor details that are only noticeable by car gurus or review magazines.

Personally I would buy a Hyundai or Kia despite the supposed abhorrent dynamic/chassis tuning, and I am a car guy who prefers cars firm and composed. There have been some road surfaces that have upset my Jetta, is the car garbage because of it?

Hyundai/Kia chassis tuning "problems" are completely overblown and don't matter to 98+% of consumers.

Last edited:
All I know is the Kia family of vehicles are really great looking The Sorento and Optima is as good as anything in their class especially in the higher trim levels. And their new Sedona mini-van might be the best looking on the market (as recently quoted by Motor Trend).

I did look at the new Sedona recently-the top-of-the line SX-L is over $40,000.00. But that is comparable to the other high trim mini-vans on the market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pezzy669
I always read about the absolute abhorrent ride and handling quality of current Hyundai/Kia autos, but I think its just mass loudness of people resonating off each other.

When my 2010 Mazda 3 was in the body shop for 6 days for a parking lot fender bender repair I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra (base model). This was going from the class act of chassis dynamics to the supposed lowest of the low on the chassis dynamics ladder.

While I agree the steering wheel felt like a game controller and some harsh bumps would resonate pretty poorly through the chassis, the car was 95% agreeable when it came to the ride and handling. I HIGHLY doubt anyone who is in their target market would ever notice or care about these minor details that are only noticeable by car gurus or review magazines.

Personally I would buy a Hyundai or Kia despite the supposed abhorrent dynamic/chassis tuning, and I am a car guy who prefers cars firm and composed. There have been some road surfaces that have upset my Jetta, is the car garbage because of it?

Hyundai/Kia chassis tuning "problems" are completely overblown and don't matter to 98+% of consumers.

Having owned a few cars considered "great handling and steering" performers (Mitsu Evo8, Mini CooperS, Corrado G60 etc), I'm in total agreement with you. I couldn't have said it any better than you have.

Originally Posted By: pezzy669

+1000

These cars are not sport compacts...they're tuned to be "every man" cars and in my experience don't have any excessive chassis dynamic problems in that context. The adult boy racers may take issue with certain things but the vast majority of people will not.

Hyundai/Kia have an issue with their 'vaguer than usual' electronic steering units and a couple models might have some extra suspension travel versus the competition, but I don't think that qualifies them as having "issues" in the greater sense.

I bought an Accent SE a few years ago as a commuter module and I can tell you that car rides better than the majority of subcompacts and doesn't handle that much differently either. I test drove them all in 2013. The Fit in comparison was a high revving, buzzy, bumpy POS that had go kart handling...as a commuter and/or long distance car, that would've driven me insane. To me, those are the "dynamic" issues that matter to me.

I had a radiator leak on my 20004 Sonata. They sent a flat bed to the house car was done the next day. All depends on the dealer.

Bo Lutz did a column about Hyundai/ Kia being the only manufacturers taking design seriously.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
Bo Lutz did a column about Hyundai/ Kia being the only manufacturers taking design seriously.

That may be true, but they certainly haven't taken ride, handling, and driver controls seriously, their past history up until now proves it.

I've driven current Kia and Hyundai products and the handling is poor, and driver controls like steering are as bad as it gets.

I have to laugh at some of you using the tired old excuse that their target market doesn't care about ride and handling, because in fact they do, those folks are buying plenty of Fords, Honda, Mazda, and VW products too, all sales lost to Hyundai and Kia. Plus they have gotten greedy now and the prices are on par with the best in the segment and THEIR PRODUCTS are not even near the best in segment.
Lastly the warranty, again not internet rumors but real customers complaining that it is like squeezing blood out of a turnip to get coverage they are entitled to with many of the dealerships making customers product all manner of receipts for everything from oil changes to other when the issue at hand has NOTHING to do with the customer warranty concern.

Excellent well designed and built vehicles. Several in my group of friends who have good things to say and many with 100,000 + miles on them. People who rant without any data or facts can go pound sand.

Then we'd probably have to ask what's your benchmark for this poor handling, ride and steering?? Personally, I don't find it particularly bad when compared to other cars in the segment. In my mind, there's a difference between "non-sporting" and "bad".

While I'd agree that their EPS system might need work, that's not a deal breaker for me when the greater goodness of the car with its power, utility, room, comfort, and ride made the difference for me versus most of the others I drove. It was also the only one that offered a 6-spd manual.

The Accent used to be the $9999 loss leader special and if that represents Hyundai to you and how "greedy" they've become then I don't think you're necessarily in the right frame. The Accent had a $2000 price increase with the introduction of the 2012 model. It was redesigned with a GDI engine ( not cheap to implement ) and also came standard with considerably more content than the previous model. The trend has been toward fully contented cars for some time now and many makes and their prices reflect this...whether you think Hyundai is miles from the benchmark or worthy of this pricing or not.

I recently sold my 2012 Accent hatchback with the GDI engine and electronic steering. For a small car it was terrific. It was not cheap, but it was cheaper than Honda and Toyota and offered more features. It had twice the warranty, 4-wheel disc brakes -vs- rear drums on Toyota and Honda, more interior room than any other subcompact, more rear legroom than the larger Ford Focus. The steering and overall handling was plenty responsive. The seats had a lot of lateral support- way better than my Crown Vic's seats. They were the most supportive seats I've ever had in a car.

What I couldn't stand about it was the huge blind spot on the right rear from the big C pillar. Changing lanes to the right was hair raising. I also didn't like the way other drivers drive around little cars. For those reasons I went back to driving a big car. I just wish I could put my Accent's front seats in my Crown Vic.

Originally Posted By: eddy21

That may be true, but they certainly haven't taken ride, handling, and driver controls seriously, their past history up until now proves it.

I've driven current Kia and Hyundai products and the handling is poor, and driver controls like steering are as bad as it gets.

I have to laugh at some of you using the tired old excuse that their target market doesn't care about ride and handling, because in fact they do, those folks are buying plenty of Fords, Honda, Mazda, and VW products too, all sales lost to Hyundai and Kia. Plus they have gotten greedy now and the prices are on par with the best in the segment and THEIR PRODUCTS are not even near the best in segment.
Lastly the warranty, again not internet rumors but real customers complaining that it is like squeezing blood out of a turnip to get coverage they are entitled to with many of the dealerships making customers product all manner of receipts for everything from oil changes to other when the issue at hand has NOTHING to do with the customer warranty concern.

This is the second time in this thread you bring up how 'difficult' it is to get warranty service. I have NEVER had a single problem at 3 different dealers ever trying to get something covered. This place can be an echo chamber for fools sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back