Got a question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 town n country with 80,000 on it
I'm currently running 5w30 oil in it.,
I live in Deep South Texas our summers are usually 90-100 degrees almost everyday of the summer
smirk.gif

I was wondering if it's ok to still run 5w30 during these hot summer days? I was thinking about 10w30 but the van says recommended 5w30... So I want to know if it's ok for continuing the 5w30.. If not is it ok to use 10w30 in that van?

Without knowing the specific formulation of oil we are discussing for all intensive purposes the 5w30 and 10w30 are both the same when hot, the 1 difference is the cold flow properties that don't come into play during the non freezing months, or ever in Texas.

The engine isn't sensitive to temperatures like humans are, it has a water cooling system that regulates the temperature whether it's 100F outside or 50F.

All that being said you can use either grade, although it won't really matter.

10W30 would be perfect imo. Won't hurt a thing. That's all I've ever used in my gf's Mustang that specs 5W30. Running PP 10W30 in it right now.

The "w" represents a winter rating.

Pick either one. Pick the one on sale. You are right in that you should look into things that might effect your investment in transportation.

Don't forget the cooling system.

Just know your radiator's working a mere 20% harder to keep things inside the engine its preferred 180'F vs an 80-degree day. The 100 degree temp is harder to shed by people running 98.6.
wink.gif

You'd be better off making sure all the dopey plastic air dams under the radiator that get ripped off on parking curbs are in peak condition. Either oil is fine, sales are a good opportunity to clean out shelves.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Without knowing the specific formulation of oil we are discussing for all intensive purposes the 5w30 and 10w30 are both the same when hot, the 1 difference is the cold flow properties that don't come into play during the non freezing months, or ever in Texas.

The engine isn't sensitive to temperatures like humans are, it has a water cooling system that regulates the temperature whether it's 100F outside or 50F.

All that being said you can use either grade, although it won't really matter.

+1

One maybe picky by going for the oil with marginally higher KV100/HTHSv.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 is the better oil in Texas.

Correction: Southwest. Phoenix swears by 10w-30

Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 is the better oil in Texas.

Correction: Southwest. Phoenix swears by 10w-30
I've got 5w30 in my car here in Phoenix. It still runs!

For an example the GT-1® High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium® HTHS viscosity for their 5w30 is 3.1 vs 3.0 for their 10w30 in the same line up.

Is it true that 5w30 needs more vi to keep in grade and therefor breaks down easier than 10w30.
Anyhow I just put 10w30 in my fusion and I can tell a difference. Much smoother and quieter. I live in this God forsaken Texas coastal bend area. Yes, it is just you hot around here.

5W-30 will flow better than 10W-30 in cold weather, other than that they are the same at operating temperatures. The difference is irrelevant, you could use either one but I'd stick with 5W-30 since that's what the manufacturer recommends. You may also still have a warranty to uphold so use what the manufacturer recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back