Surprising Autopsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told Kinder Surprise Eggs are not available in the US. When I mentioned buying them all the time - I love the thin layered chocolate, I was told the Surprise Eggs available in the US, I thought they were not available or illegal? and Google says so, came with a plastic prong, presumably to satisfy the FDA's requirements for the protection of American children who will swallow anything that fits in their pie holes. Not enjoying being accused of spreading misinformation, I decided to buy and to autopsy a locally sourced Kinder Surprise Egg. I purchased my Egg at a local, red-blooded American gas station. This allegedly illegal Egg was made in Poland. Here are the autopsy pictures. Somepboy please point me to the alleged plastic prong, because I ain't seein' it.

2utn8l3.jpg

t5rat0.jpg

The wrapper removed.

5efmzt.jpg

The shell cracked and the yolk liberated.

34pe0za.jpg

The toy removed from the yolk.

WHAT PRONG?

DISCLAIMER: No chocolate was wasted in the taking of these pictures. Yumm!

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I don't see any chocolate.

Eat more carrots.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Now is this actual Chocolate or just white "chocolate" with a brown coating?

It's a thin layer of milk chocolate over a thicker layer of white chocolate. And yes, white chocolate is technically not chocolate, because it contains no cocoa solids. Considering the liberal mislabeling of food stuff in this country, I won't go nitpicking the term. I m at a quandry what to better call white chocolate. The FDA comes again to the rescue, establishing a minimum percentage of cocoa butter, milk solids, and milk fat for what may be labeled "white chocolate." At least "white chocolate" is not as dubious an expression as is "brown sugar."

I miss the Swiss chocolate pudding triangles from my time living in Greece and the UK.

Our government sometimes protects us from the wrong stuff.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I miss the Swiss chocolate pudding triangles from my time living in Greece and the UK.

Our government sometimes protects us from the wrong stuff.

You can see that prong?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
No prong, but you don't have to be a príck about it

So the prong, probably among other things, was then a figment of your imagination? I most sincerely apologize for pointing out the veracity of my disputed claim.

Figments? Fig newtons? This should be in the food section!

Will you mince your colorful words more carefully there?

THis is what we (also) get, if anyone's still reading. You can see the yellow seam which turns into the toy holder:

kinder-eggs.jpg

I stand in the wrong, it is not a prong!

I have a strong dislike for the fda for just this reason. I had my first kinder Überraschung when I was like 5. The amount of chocolate in one of those is super minimal, but its good chocolate, and that's enough.

Just like you wouldn't serve a 2yo chicken, it should be enough to say 5yo and up

I think the fda should worry more about tightening food purity standards

Originally Posted By: expat
Where can I buy a Kinder Egg cutter?

I was told I'm a Kinder Egg [censored]. Will that do?

THis is what we (also) get, if anyone's still reading. You can see the yellow seam which turns into the toy holder:

kinder-eggs.jpg

I stand in the wrong, it is not a prong!

I follwed your image and found this article. Since I have purchased probably hundred or more of those eggs over the past few years, and since none had the plastic ridge or whatever it is, either the Kinder Egg ban is an urban myth, or there are hundreds of vendors across the US who play with fire. Since I doubt illegal egg smuggling would go unnoticed and unpunished for years, I tend to subsscribe to my urban myth hypothesis. I am sure an email to Ferrero would yield a revealing reply. As for the plastic clam shell inside, it makes a fantastic , waterproof geocaching container. I saw min remote submarines built frrom repurposed Surprise Egg capsules on Ebay.

I told you, Homeland Security will rip you a new one.
wink.gif

One never knows how easy it is to sell something bizarre or technically illegal on the shelves in North America. Usually, if the stuff isn't caught by customs, nothing is going to happen unless someone (as in a customer) complains. Here, if something doesn't have French and English labeling, there's a good chance that the packaging (not necessarily the product) wasn't intended for the Canadian marketplace. But, it does happen.

British food laws are different than Canadian ones, and a couple shops that cater to British expats in this province went through a heck of a time recently. One, I believe, actually shut down. They imported some strange British foods and got slapped. On the other hand, certain British teas just have a different label stickered on, and they're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back