.22 rimfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Another vote for the 10/22.

Without a doubt. Even though it has an 18" barrel I can consistently put bullets inside a 3/4 inch circle at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

Last edited:
I looked on YouTube and the Marlin looks like it works for me. I live in the suburbs so I can't go to my back yard and shoot. I need to go to a range that's a 30 minute drive. Ruger 10/22 and CZ are great rifles but more than 2x the cost of a Marlin. I don't want a bolt action and like a magazine. My M16 had a magazine and it makes reloading a snap. Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick one up in the next couple of weeks.

Originally Posted By: Jerryb
I looked on YouTube and the Marlin looks like it works for me. I live in the suburbs so I can't go to my back yard and shoot. I need to go to a range that's a 30 minute drive. Ruger 10/22 and CZ are great rifles but more than 2x the cost of a Marlin. I don't want a bolt action and like a magazine. My M16 had a magazine and it makes reloading a snap. Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick one up in the next couple of weeks.

You might find this thread interesting. A lot of good information in it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171319

Originally Posted By: spasm3
How accurate are the lever action henry .22 rifles?
A friend of mine eats up targets with his. I don't remember ever reading about accuracy issues. Or customer service issues. They're plenty accurate for their intended purpose. I'm a Marlin man myself but I've been tempted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

Without a doubt. Even though it has an 18" barrel I can consistently put bullets inside a 3/4 inch circle at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

Not to put you down, but that isn't even the beginning of accuracy.

50 yds? All bullets in a single hole slightly bigger than caliber size.

100 yds? All bullets within 5/16 hole.

Have done this with CCI Std. Vel. But really prefer Eley or Lapua match ammo.

I'm shooting Match Target Rifles.

My recommendation: a Savage or CZ bolt action with a bull barrel. I have both and they shoot equally well. I prefer the CZ because of the quality and feel of the rifle, but when you look at the targets, you can't tell which gun shot which target. Both shoot itty bitty groups (dime size 10 shot groups at 50 yds.) Of course you must find which ammo the rifle likes. I don't shoot the top end $20 a box stuff. I usually shoot Wolf Match Extra. I can get good groups with cheaper ammo, just not as consistent. And I can get better groups with more expensive match grade ammo but I don't shoot competition so I can't justify the cost. I can get more trigger time with cheaper ammo.

Last edited:
My vote for the Ruger. Almost limitless aftermarket parts allow you to make it whatever you want a 22LR to do.

I haVe a Ruger 10/22 from 1983 that I really like. It even has the original 10 round magazine. I had people tell me when I first bought it that the plastic mag would be trouble, but after over 30 years, I think not. It likes all types of .22LR ammo. No feeding issues at all. I also have a Henry lever action. It's the basic Henry rifle. You can get the Golden Boy and others that have a heavier barrel, but mine shoots fine. If you're going to shoot competition, then that's a whole other story.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Once you buy the accurate rifle the real hard part is finding the ammo that lets the rifle get those single hole groups.

Ruger 10/22 would get my vote as well.

With that being said I would suggest you look at a Savage bolt action in 17HMR. I have one and hardly ever shoot my 10/22 anymore. Ammo is a bit higher but can be found easily and man it is accurate.

I recently bought a 10/22. I wanted the stainless/black combo, and found one at a local Bass Pro Shops with the 50th Anniversary markings. I was out the door for under $250, including tax, which is a great deal (they had a sale running).

I was intent on getting the Marlin 795, but it just didn't "fit" me well. I liked the wider fore end of the Ruger (the Marlin is thinner, and has a single-stack mag). Since owning the Ruger, I've really enjoyed taking it apart and doing some work on it. I've polished some of the trigger components, modified the bolt release so it automatically forwards (though I think I'll buy the Kidd one anyway, as mine's a little gritty), and polished/radiused the back of the bolt. It's a real smooth action, now, and I haven't even shot it yet. Looking forward to doing that soon.

Everything on the Ruger is so modular, and it's incredibly easy to work on. The 10/22 was sort of the last .22 rifle on my list, but I'm quickly warming up to it. I'd love an American Rimfire as well (the bolt action model). It takes the same mags as the 10/22, so there's some interchangeability there.

I have a Remington rimfire. 10 shot clip and I wish I had bought the ruger. None of the multi shot clips work with it. Jam up or don't feed properly.
The 10 shot clip that came with the gun works fine though,just none of the accessories I've tried so far.
It's accurate short range. Scope doesn't bounce around. Good gun for the price.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
How accurate are the lever action henry .22 rifles?

I have a soft spot for lever action rifles and from what I've seen of the Henry brand they are a beautiful gun.
I'll buy one eventually.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: jcwit

Once you buy the accurate rifle the real hard part is finding the ammo that lets the rifle get those single hole groups.

I'm discovering that right now. I'm using the cheapest ammo I can find in all my guns and even in a stand with the gun immobile the best I can manage is 3" groups of 5 at 150 yards.
I'm paying 1.50 a round out the door for ammo. Once I have a few hundred casings my uncle is going to teach me to reload the shells which hopefully will help consistency.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm paying 1.50 a round out the door for ammo. Once I have a few hundred casings my uncle is going to teach me to reload the shells which hopefully will help consistency.

You're paying 1.50/rd for .22 Long Rifle? Or for a different caliber?

^^^ Must be something else since he's mentioned reloading it.

Not much mention of the heavy barrel, magazine fed, bolt action, Mossberg 144 LSB. The one I have is a 26 inch barrel target rifle with a Nikon 22 scope. It's accuracy is superb with any quality ammo.

But, more interestingly, it's able to stabilize the 60 grain SSS 22 rounds. Shooting these in the 26 inch barrel is as quiet as any gun can be. No ear protection required. Neighbors won't hear it. And those rounds pack a wallop at short distances. They will dent my 22 bullet trap!

144LSA0006.jpg

Last edited:
I own a Marlin Model 60. Works quite well. Since owning an old Cooey bolt action as a youngster, I have grown to like tube mags.

I like the Model 60. Mounted a 4X scope, and I'm good to go.

Originally Posted By: alreadyinuse
I own a Marlin Model 60. Works quite well. Since owning an old Cooey bolt action as a youngster, I have grown to like tube mags.

I like the Model 60. Mounted a 4X scope, and I'm good to go.

Agree about the tube mags. They are fragile (dent them and you lose your capacity) but so much fun.

Love the tube mag on Marlin 60, 981T and who can not want a 39A?

Also the Henry Golden Boy...

So many weapons that are so much fun! All self contained...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back