Lawsuit: Cars Don't Turn Themselves Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no idiot proof of anything. Many frivolous lawsuits are the result of so many lawyers without anything to make a living. Those lawyers hope that some of car manufactures may settle for few millions.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. With a push button car, it is no easier to leave it running. My car has a key, I can get out of it and leave it running too.

What's the issue?

Apparently, people just assumed that with the door locks being automatic, that the key presence system would also automatically shut the engine off upon departure.

I thought this was crazy until I considered someone driving a hybrid. Assume they pull into the garage on electric power with and the gas engine not running. They might think the car is off only to have the gas engine start automatically to maintain battery charge.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I thought this was crazy until I considered someone driving a hybrid. Assume they pull into the garage on electric power with and the gas engine not running. They might think the car is off only to have the gas engine start automatically to maintain battery charge.

Usually cars will beep at you if you get out while it's running. Would the gas engine even run enough to kill in a garage?

Push button engine start is starting to become more common but some people are still "d'oh" about it. Might as well go back to hand cranking engine start. Forget trying and putting innovative tech and features in newer cars, minus well have tech go backwards to points and condensor ignition and feet propulsion (flintstones) to make things simpler.

I can see this being an issue in Hybrids and cars with auto start-stop. It was a bit more straight forward when if you removed your key from the ignition, the car was off (usually)

I also like being able to walk away from my car and lock the doors with the engine running - after ignoring the beeps of course, but I guess I will give that up for the greater good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back