Purolator tears self induced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well a lot of the tears I have seen posted looked self induced to me. The material is tight by the seam and doesn't take a big push to tear it. Maybe torn from pushing to look, maybe torn from the cutter hitting it, most likely the tool in my opinion. When I was all done with mine this weekend (x3) I was able to push the pleats to the side and duplicate the same tears I have seen here. And really wouldn't a tear from pressure be in the inner fold of the pleat, not across it. Im not saying anyone did it on purpose, what I am saying is push the pleats to the side next to the seam and you get the tear that looks same as posted. As far as looking for tears as I said I ran a probe between each pleat, a dull rounded tip aluminum flat probe that I use to remove O-rings and they were all solid. I was going to go get the tears I made out of the trash and post them but the garbage truck just left with them. Really our garbage goes on holidays, every Monday no matter what. Anyway next Pure one I cut I will post it before and if it is fine I will duplicate the tear and post that.

In fact I will disregard any Purolator tear pics if the can was cut by anything other than a filter/pipe cutter. Anything cut with snips or saw will be ignored by me as possibly self induced. If you really want to cut filters spend the $40 and get the right tool to take the self induced possibility out of the equation.

My guess is when cut properly those with the tears are real, caused by the wide spacing of the pleat at the seam taking a big pressure drop because the rest of the pleats are packed so tight the oil cant get between them, especially when cold. Anyway for that reason once my old stock is gone Im moving to something else. Fram ultra for now.

Last edited:
They all seem to be on the same pleat by the crimp...which seems odd if they are being damaged while being opened.

But this is exactly why none of the manufacturers will consider inspecting a filter that an amateur has cut open. I know I made a bit of a mess when I used a hacksaw to open my filters.

I'm going against the tide and running a purolator on the subaru - "wrong" bypass and all
smile.gif
Interested to see if the light throttle, mid rpm mechanical knocking (wrist pint or piston skirt?) typical of these engines when hot goes away. I doubt it but here goes ...

I think your post might be pretty inflammatory to the "Children of the Spreadsheet"...but I like your logic over "me too" pictures any day. Stay with your credo to disregard pics of filters that weren't cut appropriately and post a few pictures of Wix filters that have the same issue...guaranteed firestorm.

Not trying to flame anyone. And as I said the tears that were cut properly are IMO likely caused by high dP able to push enough to tear at the wide spacing because the rest of the pleats are packed too close. When the oil is cold I just cannot see it ever getting between those pleats and always forcing the BP to open. Then I look at the size of the BP hole and I can imagine how the filter sees higher dP that the BP opening pressure. I can see how they could tear.

And I have ran a bunch of these on a WRX with no issues, no tears and I do not have any odd knocking. At 55K now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skanky
Well a lot of the tears I have seen posted looked self induced to me. The material is tight by the seam and doesn't take a big push to tear it. Maybe torn from pushing to look, maybe torn from the cutter hitting it, most likely the tool in my opinion. When I was all done with mine this weekend (x3) I was able to push the pleats to the side and duplicate the same tears I have seen here. And really wouldn't a tear from pressure be in the inner fold of the pleat, not across it. Im not saying anyone did it on purpose, what I am saying is push the pleats to the side next to the seam and you get the tear that looks same as posted. As far as looking for tears as I said I ran a probe between each pleat, a dull rounded tip aluminum flat probe that I use to remove O-rings and they were all solid. I was going to go get the tears I made out of the trash and post them but the garbage truck just left with them. Really our garbage goes on holidays, every Monday no matter what. Anyway next Pure one I cut I will post it before and if it is fine I will duplicate the tear and post that.

In fact I will disregard any Purolator tear pics if the can was cut by anything other than a filter/pipe cutter. Anything cut with snips or saw will be ignored by me as possibly self induced. If you really want to cut filters spend the $40 and get the right tool to take the self induced possibility out of the equation.

My guess is when cut properly those with the tears are real, caused by the wide spacing of the pleat at the seam taking a big pressure drop because the rest of the pleats are packed so tight the oil cant get between them, especially when cold. Anyway for that reason once my old stock is gone Im moving to something else. Fram ultra for now.

Sounds like you don't have a clue but I'm not sure anyone cares what is your opinion about how the tears happened. I can guarantee that your idea is wrong and for someone that had four tears in one filter it is obvious even to a first grader that the tears are not self induced.

Not really so odd for it to be in the same place when you feel how they are constructed. You can push the rest 99% of the pleats side to side without any tearing as even packed close they are not tight, look at the wavy pleats... But when you get to the seam the pleat is stretched tight as a drum so only a little side push tears them. The ones with the metal crimp seemed tighter than the glued but I was able to make the tear on both very easy.

Last edited:
I was thinking what skanky was thinking -as far as reported tears being induced but a poor de-constrution technique. But then we have odd things happening with oil and E10 and gum formation stressing filter media...

Last edited:
How many have had more than one tear. I would be even more suspect of someone with four accidently causing them.

I certainly didn't tear mine. I have never run a purolater since. I am not dumb enough to trust that company. Judging by the pictures I have seen here lately of the ones that didn't tear, I can't figure out why anyone would still buy them. Even their synthetics don't look good.

I have a abrasive mini cutoff wheel, and I will cut open the one in my signature in november. I will cut it right below the crimp.
This will be an Easy service interval though ... no 10,000cP oil cold pumping.

Last edited:
Hey nate1979 you know what they say about opinions, everyone has one and nobody need two LOL... You must care to take time to reply. Have you ever found a tear? Have you ever cut any? with the correct tools? Have you ever had one in your hand and experimented with it? If not maybe its your opinion no one cares about!!!

Anyway next year I will cut another pure one and it wont have any tears until I make them hahahah...

Last edited:
ARCOgraphite, once you have it open and if it is not torn. play with it and see how easy it is to make the tear by the seam. Be sure to take before and after pics as it seems you must or it didn't happen...

I am not going to buy anymore because of the closely packed pleats and the possibility of tears. However I am not going to throw away what I have. I will run them out, 3-4 I think and will be going to the ultra for longer OCI and I like the way the media is built as well as enough space for flow. What I learned here is no reason to run a normal oil filter and long life synthetic oil. SO I will run long life synthetic and synthetic filter. While I don't agree with 15K OCI I will target 6-7.5 and probably be happy if I make 9-10. I had thought about changing the P1 out half way through but hey what kind of tear test would that be LOL.

LoL ... not this dead horse again. No, I highly doubt the tears are all induced - in fact, I doubt any of them were. Yeah, it's all a huge conspiracy by the Frampires to dethrone Purolator.
crazy.gif

And the guys who don't care if Purolators can tear or not can keep on using them, I don't think anyone really cares about that. What some people do care about are fanboys claiming it never happened and is a big conspiracy. That's just plain funny.

Just in case Skanky or anyone else hasn't seen the spreadsheet. And this wasn't updated for quite some time so there are probably 10~15 more reported torn filters that didn't' make it in the spreadsheet.

Torn Filter Spreadsheet [Link]

Originally Posted By: Skanky
Hey nate1979 you know what they say about opinions, everyone has one and nobody need two LOL... You must care to take time to reply. Have you ever found a tear? Have you ever cut any? with the correct tools? Have you ever had one in your hand and experimented with it? If not maybe its your opinion no one cares about!!!

Anyway next year I will cut another pure one and it wont have any tears until I make them hahahah...

grin.gif

Bosch by Purolator cut open by me, bad ADBV. The ADBV isn't just sitting there it was stuck like it was glued on just like pictured. There would be no ADBV function as one end is not sealed to the base. Garbage filter. I am happy it didn't go on the car.
Reason #2 I don't ever want to buy another Purolator product is verified and actual tearing of the media covering a good sized sample of users. Reason #3 is the company hasn't said anything about the defects.
I can tear any end cap glued media at the base with my finger. Except wire backed haven't tried. The Bosch was weak compared to the Denso I cut open. That's why they tear, weak.
DSCN1026_zpstgspqw89.jpg

It amazes me how these many random INDEPENDENT finds on the tears, there is always a few that will keep using them until they find tears themselves.....they keep drinking the KoolAid of marketing.

Ignoring facts and acting like a paid company shill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back