Vehicle: 2004 Acura MDX
Engine: Honda 3.5 VTEC
Miles: 180K
Oil Analysis: Yes
Oil/type: SuperTech 5W-20 Synthetic
Consumption: 1 qt/10K avg. with no leakage
Change Interval: 10K
Oil filter: Purolator PureOne
Trips: 15 mi each way to work with monthly 185 mi each way trip that's mostly interstate
Driving habit: Average, with minimal hard acceleration

Thanks to Bob and all other contributors here that are knowledgeable on topics. I'm interested in minimizing engine wear in hopes of maximizing engine life. I prefer oil change intervals that are frequent enough to prevent engine wear, but not so frequent that time, oil, and filters are wasted. Oil analysis comments state that I could exceed the 10k change interval, but I don't know if oil analysis is the final verdict on change interval when it comes to minimizing wear. I'm considering going to Amsoil Signature Series oil under the assumption that the additional cost will be offset by extended engine life. I'm interested in any documented case studies that help to eliminate speculation regarding the topic. What specific and general advice can you offer for getting the most miles out of this and any other engine?

Todays oils are really good. It would be hard to say certain oils would give longer life. Maybe longer oil change intervals.

I think 10k miles is pretty average for OCI today and like CT8 said, oils today are quite good. I keep my changes short because i itch to change it. Although during winter I like running Mobil extended protection so I dont have to change oil during the winter. Think it adds to the piece of mind but i doubt I drive it long enough to make a difference. I dont see the cost benefit of Amsoil, or any EP oil unless you try to extend past 10k miles. This year i am going to stick with TGMO 0w20 for my winter. Personally, something else will fail before your engine will even if you use cheap oil.

There's more to it than engine oil. Most any oil is "good enough".

Don't forget the air and fuel filters and other routine maintenance along with taking care of the rest of the car and parking in a garage if possible.

Your vehicle is almost 12 years old with 180,000 miles. I wouldn't worry about extending the engine life. Its other things that are going to start failing like A/C, power steering, transmission, ball joints, struts, brakes, water pump. Does that engine use a timing belt. How about rubber brakes hoses?

Really, keep doing what you're doing as far as oil changes. If it leaks or burns a little, trying going up one grade or switching to a high mileage oil.

Thank you for the response, Rolla07. From yours and other responses, it seems that I'm in line with what most others are doing. The reliability of this vehicle is better than any I've had. For that reason, I plan to keep it for a long time. I expect transmission will be the first major ticket item, followed by AC. Realizing the engine will be the greatest cost down the road, I'm trying to get as many miles as possible out of it before overhaul or replacement. I posted the question to see how the 1 qt/10k miles at 180k miles compared to oil consumption with other engines. If anyone had lower consumption with the same miles, I'd be interested to know what they were doing differently, if anything. Thanks again!

Thank you, OneEyeJack. I'm doing those things, except for fuel filter. Oddly there isn't one for this vehicle.

Thank you for the response, maximus. Per recommendation, the timing belt was replaced at 105k along with the water pump. I've heard through a friend that others put 300-400k miles on this model without a lot of repair cost on average. I know I'll reach a point where the cost to keep it running and reliable will exceed the cost of the payments on a replacement. At that point, I'll replace it. I'm trying to be proactive in maintaining it to extend reliability. Thank you again!

I have been doing 10K OCIs for 37 years with M1 oils and have never had and an engine show signs of wear, all engines have stayed clean, and never increased in oil usage for the life of the engine.

That's a good long term testimonial for Mobil1. Thank you, Tig1. Does the oil level drop at all between the 10K changes?

As long as you change your oil in reasonable intervals for your driving conditions, the engine will probably outlast everything else on the car. I do almost 9-10k intervals on Pennzoil dino in my old Buick, but it probably has the easiest life ever ... mile down the road to warm up then just highway for 25 miles every day. Still looks clean under the valve covers and doesn't burn any oil after 110k miles of mostly doing that.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
As long as you change your oil in reasonable intervals for your driving conditions, the engine will probably outlast everything else on the car. I do almost 9-10k intervals on Pennzoil dino in my old Buick, but it probably has the easiest life ever ... mile down the road to warm up then just highway for 25 miles every day. Still looks clean under the valve covers and doesn't burn any oil after 110k miles of mostly doing that.

Thank you, JS. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that many people are running about 10K between changes. I was thinking that those who really took care of their vehicles were only going 3-5K, despite the owner's manual stating longer intervals were fine for normal service. But I had those conversations quite a while ago when I think the owner's manual recommended change interval was shorter. At the end of the day, I'm sure there are a lot of drivers who greatly exceed the 10K interval. If exceeding that interval caused early engine failure, I think we'd see a lot more vehicles with blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Dave, post your oil analysis data.

After 180k on an engine, I'd not worried about oil. Change it, top it off,... keep driving. It already served you well.

Only thing I would change is the oil filter.... Go up and run a Purolator Synthetic oil filter. The Pureones and Classics have had some issues shall we say. Statistically speaking it would be a very small percentage chance of filter not holding up but I wouldn't like to even have a chance of an issue. Plus, the Purolator Synthetic oil filters have had no problems, they are ment for 10k intervals and, they are a very good filter. So it would be a win win for you there
smile.gif

I've been to Cruso in Haywood county on vacation. Very very beautiful area all out there in western NC. I'm looking forward to going there again sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back