Tubelees tires in 1958?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a novel I just read, they have tubeless tires on a Schwinn in 1958. I don't think they had those then, but maybe someone can confirm one way or another?

Originally Posted By: Surestick
They might have meant the solid rubber type found on some kids bikes.

Nope, it's specifically mentioned that the bike is an adult size Schwinn and that one of the tubeless tires has gone flat.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Uncommon, yes. But they did exist. At the time, it was practice by some to glue the tire to the rim upon mounting.

Were those tubular tires or did they have clinchers with airtight rims? In the book a guy fixes the tire with a patch, so I presume it must be a clincher.

It, Stephen King, Signet pocket book edition, first printing, Sept 1987, page 579

Uncommon, yes. But they did exist. At the time, it was practice by some to glue the tire to the rim upon mounting.

Tubular tires have been around for close to 100 years and are still in wide use today on road racing bikes. Yes they're glued to the rim. They can be patched by un-sewing the tire carcass, patching the tube inside, then sewing it back up and remounting it. You carry a spare tire and do the repair at home later. Patching along the road would take an hour.

Never heard of an every-man level tubeless bicycle tire before these current mountain bike ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_tyre

Last edited:
They had tubes sewn in the tire.

double tap
blush.gif

The reason for all the bother is that tubulars ride and handle like nothing else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Tubular tires have been around for close to 100 years and are still in wide use today on road racing bikes. Yes they're glued to the rim. They can be patched by un-sewing the tire carcass, patching the tube inside, then sewing it back up and remounting it. You carry a spare tire and do the repair at home later. Patching along the road would take an hour.

Never heard of an every-man level tubeless bicycle tire before these current mountain bike ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_tyre

Going by the description in the book, it has to be a tubeless clincher tire. There's no mention of undoing a sewn tire. So we are back to my original question regarding TUBELESS bike tires in 1958.

Excerpt from IT. It's 1985 and a guy has just bought the huge Schwinn he rode in 1958 as an 11 year-old. It's in rough shape with one bald and one flat tire. He and his buddy fix it.

"Yeah. I think I got a tire-patching kit, too. Are those tubeless tires?"
"They always were."

Originally Posted By: BRZED
In a novel I just read, they have tubeless tires on a Schwinn in 1958.

Was this the novel It, by Stephen King? In one scene King has a character patch a punctured bicycle tire by applying a patch to the exterior of the tire itself. King had evidently never patched a bicycle tire himself...

Originally Posted By: Tegger
In a novel I just read, they have tubeless tires on a Schwinn in 1958.

Was this the novel It, by Stephen King? In one scene King has a character patch a punctured bicycle tire by applying a patch to the exterior of the tire itself. King had evidently never patched a bicycle tire himself...

I've already mentioned twice it is IT, but it doesn't say anywhere in the book the guy puts the patch on the outside. Read it again. Of course writers make mistakes, that's why there are editors who also check facts. Nice blunder was when Nelson DeMille described a greenish glow emanating from the objective lens, not from the eyepiece, of a nightscope.

There was no pneumatic tubeless bicycle tire in 1958. The rim technology didn't exist until 2000 or so. I saw some of the early prototypes before they were in production (Mavic's UST rim and Michelin road tires), and that was probably 1999 or so.

There were tubeless tubulars prior to that (first appeared in the early90's), and they introduced a "clincher" version in the mid-90's. It' basically a tubular that snaps into a clincher bead--combining the worst of both worlds... Those tires are pretty unique, super durable and very slow.

Who knows what he was referring to, but after all it IS fiction...

Originally Posted By: JOD
Who knows what he was referring to, but after all it IS fiction...

I am not going to discuss the value and importance of fact in fiction versus fantasy on any of these forums. So it appears Stephen King was mistaken about the available technology in 1958, but he was a tubular visionary, inventing tubeless bike tires before anyone else already in the mid 1980s. Well, Silver was a magic bicycle in some ways already. Great!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If you wanna learn a thing or two about bicycles, type in Sheldon Brown on Google.

Thanks, but I wanted to learn who here has some knowledge. My question was really a pop quiz.

Thanks, but I wanted to learn who here has some knowledge. My question was really a pop quiz.

Since it doesn't make much sense to have a quiz and not know the correct answer.... what is it?

Since it doesn't make much sense to have a quiz and not know the correct answer.... what is it?

Everything points at United States Special Racers 28x1 single tubes.They are similar to sewn tires, but without the stitching.The tube is part of the casing. That explains why the guy doesn't need to undo and redo the stitching and can use a patch. They came out in the 1930s and were probably available when King was a kid in the late 1950s.

Good stuff! The line about the "huge Schwinn" and 28 x 1 tires seem incongruous, have you found any links to Schwinns with these tires?

The bike is described as huge for an 11 year-old boy and as big enough for a tall adult. While not a Penny Farthing, a 28 incher would have been big for me at that age. Once a bit older, I rode a Motobecane racing bike with 28 inchers. I grew into it over the summer. Nope, I have found no connection between those tires and Schwinn. There's a bicycle museum in Bremen, Ohio. I had hoped that one of the older guys with a good memory might illuminate me.

Not hat I presume the prop master of the movie picked the correct bike with the rpoper tires, but here are two screengrabs from the movie. Who knows, maybe by a stroke of luck it's the right bike with thr right tires? In the book, a tire repair kit is mentioned, in the movie it's a tube patch kit.

20fyk54.jpg

10h1xxk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back